LouDiamond

REVIEW: BoneHead REVOLVE Helmet

Had mine since April, here in hot humid Chicago. No issues with fogging. In the fall when it starts cooling off will be the real test.

My only issue has been the chin strap keeps loosening between jumps, and it's a pain to keep having to tighten it in the plane. Is there a recommended way to tack/secure the length or something, so it doesn't change?

I live in FL so the humidity is awful, but I've been having a lot of trouble with fogging once under canopy if I can't get the visor open right away. Wearing gloves, there are days I have a little trouble finding the latch (yes I have practiced) but until I get the visor up it REALLY fogs up.

I bought it in May from Paragear. It did not come w/ a bottle of solution.

Then the lens was coated before you received it. If you are near a sporting goods store, ask them for some anti-fog pads or liquid to help out.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

Hi,

I previously posted about my interest in the Revolve helmet back in September 2010. Shortly after my post I tore my ACL (non-skydiving related injury) and had to take a hiatus from the sport. I recently returned to the sport and finally obtained my A-license.

I am, once again, looking into gear options, including a new helmet. My question is a newbie question of sorts. So, at my level, I don't yet have a good feel for whether I want to focus on relative work or freeflying. My immediate perspective is to focus on relative work for a while and then perhaps try freeflying intermittently or later on in my development.

So, in that regard, I feel like most skydivers will either be belly flyers or freeflyers and generally stick to one discipline. If you agree that this is a true statement, then do experienced jumpers really have a need for an open face AND a closed face helmet such as the Revolve? I'm assuming that if you are doing relative work you are using a full face versus an open face for freeflying (from what I've read).

I think for someone like me, who is new to the sport, I might benefit from having the option since I don't know where my interests will lead me. What about those of you with experience? Are there any experienced jumpers out there that use the Revolve and use it as both full-face and open-face? Can you share anything about your experience, specifically from this regard and also what you think about this helmet for a new jumper?

Thanks.

I purchased it right off of AFF so I could have an open face until I was at a level safe to wear a full face. I do mostly belly flying. Recently I sold it and bought a G2 (because I thought like you I would stay with one discipline), but shortly after I ended up picking up a Mindwrap from bonehead cause I really missed getting that open air feeling every now and then. I thought the Revolve was a a great helmet. Actually think it is quite a bit more comfortable than my G2.

It appears other full face helmets are having fogging issues at the moment. Just wondering how the REvolve is doing in this aspect...

last Saturday I've been jumping at -25 C ( -13 F) AGL. At the exit altitude it was somewhat -40. Two things:

One: Bonehead guys, special thanks to you for this vent groove below the lens. My visor was completely frozen by 2500m (8200 ft). There was only a small window just above the groove, so I could see my altimeter thru it. Otherwise I had to pool high or open the visor at freefall. I don't like both ways.

Two: to everyone who is insane enough to jump at such temperatures: Do not use this stuff http://www.mcnett.com/Op-Drops-Anti-Fog-Lens-Cleaning-System-P127.aspx
It work great above freezing temperatures. Below freezing it doesn't work at all. So before my next jump I have removed the lens and jumped with goggles.

Beside that - the helmet is very warm. Especially if you remove the lens only, keeping the visor, it's lining helps to protect your face from cold.

Other guys who have been jumping that day with other fullface helmets had no such a serious icing issues. As I understand it - it comes from one of REvolve main advantages. It has the best field of vision of all fullface helmets I've ever seen. Especially in below direction. You can see your handles very well, you can see everything that happens below you in freefall, without tilting your head down. No need to explain how important it is. But you have to pay for this. You breath on your lens.

Conclusion: it is better to jump at summer or in some warm country:) You can also deal with your paraholism using VVT if you need. Gone skiing until April.

This May I have broken the contour's rails at one nasty landing.

Contour has sent me a new one for free, but I had to wait for the package for 2 month due to my distant location... Also as I said before, I think that BH plate is not ideal from lines entanglement perspective...

So I'm designing my own, with bells and whistles.

Please take a look and let me know what you think:

3D model:

https://360.autodesk.com/Public/Details?hash=0926a1580a8e42e68bf046e7c507b46b

(you need to have Chrome of Firefox to see it)

1st prototype:

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/ilia-wag/album/246440/

2nd prototype in comparison with first one:

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/ilia-wag/album/262052/

It's made with 3D printing.

Currently I'm planning to polish and paint it, and after that order somewhat 20 copies made of plastic similar to ABS. Most likely it will be Biresin VG280 or GTS 850.

Can be installed at any helmet with flat side surface. Will try to make an adapter for some other RW helmet models for my friends who jump with Contours.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

This May I have broken the contour's rails at one nasty landing.

Contour has sent me a new one for free, but I had to wait for the package for 2 month due to my distant location... Also as I said before, I think that BH plate is not ideal from lines entanglement perspective...

So I'm designing my own, with bells and whistles.

Please take a look and let me know what you think:

3D model:

https://360.autodesk.com/Public/Details?hash=0926a1580a8e42e68bf046e7c507b46b

(you need to have Chrome of Firefox to see it)

1st prototype:

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/ilia-wag/album/246440/

2nd prototype in comparison with first one:

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/ilia-wag/album/262052/

It's made with 3D printing.

Currently I'm planning to polish and paint it, and after that order somewhat 20 copies made of plastic similar to ABS. Most likely it will be Biresin VG280 or GTS 850.

Can be installed at any helmet with flat side surface. Will try to make an adapter for some other RW helmet models for my friends who jump with Contours.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

CLicky

...at least here is another GoPro Mount method, which I also found at the Net.

- Use a Dremel, drill a centered sinkhead screw hole into a adheisive mount
- Get a 4-5 mm longer screw
- Use loctite to lock the screw (super ultra mega strong :-) )
- I hotglued a little piece of adheisive surface to the static strap (more stability, avoiding moving while mount/unount the cam)

This all can be totally removed, to unlock loctite use simply a soldier iron heat it shortly over 150°C. It will destroy the lock.

Ok there is no quick realease with it, but in worst case, grab it and brake it off by hand.

Attached some pictures to it.

Cheers & BS.

How is the lateral stability with the camera on the mount?

Does it move at all with that much of the front of the center guide rail removed?

I like the idea but after a GoPro rep put some gaffers tape on that rail for me at an airshow....to keep the 'lateral vibration of freefall speed' down, on a fairly new mount - I've been pretty careful in how I alter that part of it.

Just curious - I'm mounting a rear facing GoPro on a side mount L bracket and there really isn't the room for it. I think the screw idea would help but I need it steady & secure for the shots I want to use it for.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

i just had a massive brainfart.

why not put the gopro on the chin portion of the helmet?

would that be possible? shouldn't affect visibility that much (if at all).

you would just need to use a low profile mount, maybe fixed inside. but xshut should do the trick.

i think i am going to try this. just emailing bonehead first to get a quote on a complete visor replacement ;)