CHRCNF

Your First Rig

My first rig ( which ive had for 3 weeks) is a brand new wings container. I would have probably gotten a used one, but i had a 50% off coupon, and its hard to find a rig for someone my size. Having it custom made for me was well worth it, it fits awesome. And for canopies, i picked up a used mico raven 150 reserve from 98. And a Safire 2 149 with about 500 jumps on it for the main. and i found a used cypress on this site. My container fits the 149 pretty tight, so i should have plenty of room to downsize in the future.

You MAY only be in it for a short time. While I agree with the rest of what you said, I'm also a believer that setting up the "you must downsize" is probably contributing, at least slightly, to people being on wings that are too small for them.

Fair enough. My first was an F111 canopy that I didn't stick with for long at all. Didn't downsize, just changed canopies. That PD 210 easily had 1000 jumps on it when I got it. I shouldn't transfer my "short time" experience to others.

Either way, I'm a huge fan of used.

Put me in that camp...used at first.
Well, in my case....forever.
My first was a used 1995 Javelin J5 H/C with a Raven II reserve.
I bought a used Tri190 (less than 100 jumps).
I splurged on a new Cypres2.

I still jump it. I love that Tri and I'll fly it until she rots out from over me.
The only thing I don't like about the H/C is the routing on the AAD cable. At re-pack, I have to remind the rigger to route it a certain way so that the cable doesn't impinge on my shoulder blade. IF I ever buy a different H/C, I'll make sure to get the padding against my back.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

First rig bought from ebay.

Used Dolphin Container, with Raven I reserve and a PD190 main.

Cheap, not at all sexy, but it worked.

Bought a 1 year old Vigil to go in it.

Got a 2nd/3rd/4th/who knows how many hand PD170 main as a downsize, then sold all of it (except the Vigil) as one package, when I bought my first custom kit around jump 100. Didn't lose a penny. Well worth it.

I didn't have much of a jumping budget when I first started so having this cheap rig made it so much easier... interest free credit cards also helped.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

i bought a new icon custom icon container, new reserve and aad and a used main that i got on here for a good deal. i love the set up. plenty of room to move down (apparently people have fit 135 or smaller) so im very happy with my choice in buying new because it feels awesome!
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

My advise to you will be that you go buy yourself a fine, used rig for starters. This will give you the time to either decide that you're fine with the used one, or else you have some time to decide what to buy if you want it new. Selling your gear that was already used increases the chance of not losing too much money compared to selling a rig that was brand new, and that sucks if it doesn't fit your needs after only 200 jumps or so.

You'll only be in it for a short time.

You MAY only be in it for a short time. While I agree with the rest of what you said, I'm also a believer that setting up the "you must downsize" is probably contributing, at least slightly, to people being on wings that are too small for them.

Some of us are still jumping the same container we bought when we started jumping. I fit a Spectre 230 and a Pilot 210 into it for the first 500 jumps ... now I have the Pulse 210 in there which packs much more happily. This container likes a 190, and could take most 170s as well. So ... the right first container might last a long time, depending on the person's body type, skills, and interest in downsizing.

All that said, I lucked out and got a sweet deal on a used container that fits me pretty well and had only 10 jumps on it. I'm a believer in used for most people (unless of course they're real outliers on body type, then new/custom ends up being the only viable option).

Hei:)
A little bit off track..but..

My exit weight is 232 and I am 6,01 tall.

The dealer wants to set me up with a Pulse 210.

When looking at your several hundred jumps compared to my 23, I wonder if a Pulse 230 would be a better choice for me instead of a Pulse 210?

I did AFF course under a Navigator 260. Plan to stay conservative (and current) but not so I will be unable to handle high winds.

My first rig @ 36jumps I bought brand new custom V3 Micron 308 for me and fits like a glove.

Bought brand new main canopy from PD--Pulse 150 to be exact....now sabre2 120 with room to downsize
Bought brand new Optimum Reserve from PD--OP-143....now OP126
Bought brand new Vigil II

Somehow worked out for me since I'm on the smaller side 5'7 125lb and was able to downsize a reasonable amount and still have room to downsize after 350+jumps later. Should last me at least 300+ more jumps. 750 jumps for a first rig I think is great!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

First rig was new. Reflex, PD193 reserve, Triathlon 210 main and Cypress 1. Sold the Reflex 3 years later (for $100 less than I paid for it) and bought new wings container but kept the main, reserve and cypress. I looked for months looking for a right fitting rig and no luck so I opted for new. Still have the same set up and have no regrets. Now I'm thinking of getting new canopy but pretty much the same size but 9 cell.

First rig was a 1990 Jav J5 (bought in 2010) with 100 jumps and a Fury 220 reserve. Bought it from my local dz. It'd been siting in a closet for years...

First canopy was a Spectre210 bought off of dz.com. Seller met me in Perris and we jumped together a few times so I'd know if it was what I wanted. Great transaction :)

All other canopies have been from dz.com (Sabre2 190, Sabre2 170) and sold them all there as well.

Waiting on my new rig now, which is a new Vector V3, and bought a well used PDR 160 from a friend at the dz.

Bought my vigil new direct from Vigil thanks to team sponsorship (yay vigil).