CHRCNF

Your First Rig

Where'd you get your first rig from?

I'm looking for my first, but it's continually becoming more and more of a chore.

I'm beginning to consider buying a new container, reserve, and AAD and then look for a used main. Would it be worth it?

Any advice?

A *new* first rig is often a mistake, IMO.
You'll only be in it for a short time. Buying used is usually a smarter, more cost-effective way to go.

My first 3 rigs were used, starting with a 210 Silhouette, then a 190 Silhouette, then a 170 Silhouette. I found a great Stunts Eclipse that I loved. From there, I bought used Talons, one of them from here on DZ.com. I also bought a used G4 as a second rig.

Once you have a better idea of what you want and don't want in a rig, you'll be better informed for that first custom, made-for-you rig. You'll have a better idea of canopies and your specific wants and needs.
Save your cash for a bit...Used is a great way to go. Just have a rigger look over the gear you're looking at.

Used from a Rigger at the DZ I was jumping at at the time.

I didn't buy a New Rig till my 4th. I still have it and it has the reserve I need and the ability to go up and down in size with the mains I jump.

I would go used till you've settled into the part of this sport that you like the most and then get a rig and canopy set up that supports that.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

looking for gear can in a pain in the ass, i started looking for stuff in the last week of may, and didnt find anything until the first week of july. In the end though i did end up finding an excellent used rig and the only thing i bought brand new was a cypress 2. Buying used will definitively save you a decent amount of money so it would probably be worth it to just keep hunting for a while. Besides just looking in the dz classified section be sure to check out the online gear stores as well like sunshine factory (where i ended up getting my rig) chuting star, and square1.

good luck finding something that works for you.

I did exactly what you suggested...I waited until after I got my A license and during the winter I was saving up. I bought a new custom VSE Infinity container, new PD 193 reserve, new Cypres 2, and a used Sabre II 190 with 170 jumps on it. I'm not saying this is the way to go for everyone but I don't plan on getting rid of this rig for a long time. I plan on putting AT LEAST 200 more jumps on this 190 before I downsize to a Pulse 170 which will be still fit quite nicely in the container I currently have. It's all personal preference, but I LOVE my rig and plan on keeping it for quite some time.

...snip... a used Sabre II 190 with 170 jumps on it. ...snip... before I downsize to a Pulse 170 which will be still fit quite nicely in the container I currently have.

Sure about that? A pulse will pack about a size smaller than a sabre2, so can your container safely hold a 150?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

In addition to looking at the DZ.com adds, I also started calling around to various gear dealers. They have classifieds in Parachutist every month and I'm sure there are a lot of other dealers, too. Just called up and told them what I was looking for and my size and found a complete Rig from a gear dealer on the other coast for a good price.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Well you're right the container won't hold a 150. I was told that the pulse packs around half a size down...I was unaware that it was a complete size down.

-------------------------------------------
But if the Pulse is an issue then I will simply research another 170 sq ft. canopy that will fit correctly.

Where'd you get your first rig from?

Ordered new with the assistance of my rigger/instructor.

True, I could have spent less.
True, many folks change their rig/canopy in their first couple hundred jumps.

FOR ME:
spending the extra to have a professional instructor/rigger aide me with the purchase helped me get gear that worked well together and met my needs.

I was in NO hurry to down size. My instructor was right when he expressed concern about my buying new gear, and even suggested that I might want a bit smaller to start. In one way he was right... I did tire of that first canopy... after 500+ jumps and 8 years. One does NOT HAVE TO downsize, and certainly one does not need to be in a hurry.

Hmmm.... we keep having major injuries and fatalities by people that we judge downsized too fast. Maybe if they had bought their gear new they might have spent more time with it rather than take the price hit of buying new/selling used... Just a thought...

Not "mainstream thinking", just my experience...

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

If you can afford a new container, get one. You can probably find used a reserve, AAD and main that will work for you much easier than you'll be able to find a used container or complete system that will work for you.

Size the container for what you intend to put in it. Most containers can safely hold mains two sizes smaller than what they were built for. If you aren't planning to downsize insanely fast, you should be able to get 500 jumps out of your container before you need to buy a smaller one.

To avoid long delivery times for custom, check to see if any manufacturers or dealers have one in stock that will fit you and your canopies.

You'll only be in it for a short time.

You MAY only be in it for a short time. While I agree with the rest of what you said, I'm also a believer that setting up the "you must downsize" is probably contributing, at least slightly, to people being on wings that are too small for them.

Some of us are still jumping the same container we bought when we started jumping. I fit a Spectre 230 and a Pilot 210 into it for the first 500 jumps ... now I have the Pulse 210 in there which packs much more happily. This container likes a 190, and could take most 170s as well. So ... the right first container might last a long time, depending on the person's body type, skills, and interest in downsizing.

All that said, I lucked out and got a sweet deal on a used container that fits me pretty well and had only 10 jumps on it. I'm a believer in used for most people (unless of course they're real outliers on body type, then new/custom ends up being the only viable option).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You MAY only be in it for a short time. While I agree with the rest of what you said, I'm also a believer that setting up the "you must downsize" is probably contributing, at least slightly, to people being on wings that are too small for them.

Fair enough. My first was an F111 canopy that I didn't stick with for long at all. Didn't downsize, just changed canopies. That PD 210 easily had 1000 jumps on it when I got it. I shouldn't transfer my "short time" experience to others.

Either way, I'm a huge fan of used.

Follow and befriend 50-100 jump wonders that have gear that are a proper fit for you (container, main and reserve).

Be especially kind to those that:
A) Recently started dating a whuffo with expensive taste that they are infactuated with.
B) Recently got engaged to a whuffo
C) Recently announced that they or their significant other is pregnant.
D) Recently lost or might loose their job.
E) Are having some legal trouble.

You'll be in the prime position to "help them out".

On a more serious note, make sure you're not setting impossible standards for your first rig. Yes, everyone wants a freefly friendly rig with a Sabre2 that's used just enough that it's managable to pack but doesn't have more than $2500 for everything.

My first rig was a more than safe old Vector2 with a Silhouette 170. Could I freefly in it? No. Could I jump my ass off in it? Yes. And that's all that mattered to me.

Bought new Rig after buying a used rig off DZ.com that didnt quite fit me. I bought it after I was off student status: Icon I5, Pilot 188zpx, 175 smart reserve, skyhook, Vigil 2, etc.

I went to a boogie and demoed a couple different type rigs and liked it best. I then got a multitude of advice from the DZO which has over 4,000 jumps (thanks Mike). I researched the heck out of the rig and components on DZ.com, dealer websites, and discussed with several up jumpers specifically instructors. I may have been a pain of sorts, but I wanted to make the most informed decision possible.

Long story long: I chose this rig for
1. comfort- before I bruised on the inner thigh..love the cushioning of the ICON.
2. Made to my body- again toward comfort
3. safety- Pilots have a good reputation for being good for beginning to moderate jumpers. Of course this is dependant on choosing an appropriate W/L.
4. ZPX- packing- I suck at it and anything that helps me learn the better. smaller size, not a slippery when new as the ZP and Aerodyne color coded lines- LOVE THIS.
5. Flight characteristics- great glide and good flare.
6. Downsize capabilities- if I so desire I can down size in this container 3 times 188zpx, 168zpx, 168zp, or 150zp....manufacturer dependent on sizes of course.
7. Included features- many things come standard on the ICON that other vendors upcharge for.
8. The only thing I would change if I ordered again is I would have chosen a D Handle for my reserve versus a pillow.

However, all in all I figured I get more bang for my buck with this rig. It is a chore, but again it is your life you are wagering with. I know there are a lot of good used rigs out there, but I didnt want to deal with the chore of sorting the good with the bad ones in regards to fit and safety. This one was made for me and I feel that I can jump it for several hundreds of jumps before I am at a skill level that supercedes my current rig.

It all comes down to making the most informed decision by researching and weighing the options available. Good luck!
THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

I walked into an awesome deal from hell on my first rig, it was actually two complete rigs - one RW, one CRW, suits, helmets, goggles, etc for 1,000$ from a jumper who was leaving the sport.
I used them for 400 jumps before passing them on and broke even cost wise.
buy used, you will never get your money back out of new equipment.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Does anybody know how reliable Ralph Hadley is? ***

I have had a great customer experience with Ralph, I have bought 4 canopy's from him over the years - three new, one used plus a lot of misc gear as well.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I am in the exact same place. I am 6'3 and about 200lbs so finding a container that fits is hard. So I am looking at either getting a new container and 2nd hand everything else or just going for the 2nd hand complete rig. Even though I would sacrifice comfort in a complete used one it will save me time and pain in trying to piece it all together. But you never know the perfect 2nd hand one might pop up for sale tomorrow ;)

Well now with the smaller packing mains and reserves you can usually get 4 sizes in a single container, and start it out with a large reserve.

I'll take a friend's example. He is fresh out of AFF and is jumping a 230. We are jumping in France so we have a wingloading chart to follow which I think really helps in not downsizing too fast... Anyways according to his weight he needs 400+ jumps to be under a 170.

He can get a container made for a 190 which fits 170-210 easily, and now even fits a 230 PD pulse without too much fuss. And this size container you can also most likely fit a PD Optimum 210.

Now with a brand new setup container right off AFF he is good for at least 400 jumps, and since he does not plan on doing really more than 200 jumps a year I don't see him being under a 150 at his weight any time soon.

I also chose to get a brand new container right away as I know I plan to do a lot of wingsuiting and going under a 150/135 for that for my weight would be stupid. So I got a container that could fit a 170 just fine and I will probably keep it for my whole skydiving career as a wingsuit rig :)

So yes, it *can* be the best deal for you to get a new container with used everything else (I would also get a brand new AAD and reserve cause those should not change anytime soon).
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Dudeist Skydiver #9

Am about 6'4" and 200lbs aswell. I bought a new wings sized for a 170 main with a new 175 reserve and have had someone borrow my rig with a 129 who said it could even go a little smaller. So there is a lot to be said for ordering a new container and sourcing everything else second hand as you could get a lot out of it and this way u can diwnsize a few times and still have a big reserve.

After looking at some second hand prices in my home country - I realised I was able to buy new in USA where I am visiting for about the same price.

Having had some uncomfortable rides in student rigs that whilst not 'ill-fitting' or unsafe, were just not made for me - the idea of a custom rig was very appealing.

I am also one of those people that is very particular about how MY gear is treated. I have never bought second hand rockclimbing gear for this reason. I know my gear, where its been, how its been treated. For me its piece of mind - not a reflection on how anyone else treats their gear.

I have ordered an Infinity container, Sabre2 190, Optimum Reserve 193 and a Cypress2. I am not in a rush to downsize by any stretch. And looking at the 2nd hand prices at home - if I ever want to move my stuff on, I shouldn't have any trouble and will pick up more new gear on my next US work trip.

Cheers,

Andrew

I bought my first rig new through the DZ loft.
went with in-stock gear and saved a little bit of time and money.

had no regrets.

I think I'd be fine with used if I had it all inspected by a rigger.

I just ordered another new rig, custom everything, but I knew exactly what I wanted.