ChrisRomp

Mirage Split-Bag

Anyone else here use a Mirage with the split-bag design for the main bag?

Pic: http://www.miragesys.com/products/?loc=detail&id=1&iid=1041

It's the only rig I've owned, and what I learned to pack on. Mirage claims the design reduces bag lock. Sometimes I think it makes packing more of a pain and it'll occasionally confuse a packer. I'm due for a reserve repack next month and a little bit tempted to have the rigger stitch it so it functions more like a "normal" bag.

What are your thoughts?

I only packed mine a couple of times before I had my rigger convert it to a regular one.

I just thought the split bag was a pain in the butt. The rigger said most of the other mirage owners had already had that done. Not sure how true that was though.

Anyway I'm really happy with the stitched up D bag

A thunder of jets in a clear blue sky, a streak of gray and a cheerful "Hi"

If you jump F-111, stick with the split bag.

I am curious what your reasoning is that you stick with a split bag for F111?

I've never packed an F-111 in a split bag so take this with a grain of salt (info came from my rigger).

The idea is that F-111 fabric stays put unlike ZP, so it's convenient to have a bag capable of being built around the fabric, instead of shoving the canopy into the bag's opening...
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

I disagree.
Split d-bags were nuisance back when F-111 was in fashion.

Strong started installing Velcro split bags on tandems, back when F-111 was in fashion.
Since Velcro only lasts 100 maybe 200 pack jobs - and I was too busy to replace worn Velcro in the middle of the busy season - packers started cursing split D-bags.
So I just sewed them all shut!

We've sewn all our tandem rigs but one. I kind of like the split bag for that particular tandem. It's a ZP and very slippery due to it's newness. The split bag allows me to wrap the D-Bag around the folded canopy. I can't imagine messing with it while packing a solo rig would be worth while?
Marriage is like a deck of cards. You start with two harts and a diamond only to discover you wish you had a club and a spade!

How would stitching it shut change its shape?

No one said it changes shape, but since the bag is wider on the bottom than it is from the top, the split design helps to fill the bag properly on the bottom.

I have one and I think its great. The only people I have hear complaining about it, are those who are packing it the first time and get confused. Once you learn how to pack it, you will realize how good it is.

How would stitching it shut change its shape?

No one said it changes shape, but since the bag is wider on the bottom than it is from the top, the split design helps to fill the bag properly on the bottom.

I have one and I think its great. The only people I have hear complaining about it, are those who are packing it the first time and get confused. Once you learn how to pack it, you will realize how good it is.

I used to use a split bag with velcro. I hated much. I don't want to have or pack anything like that.

You either love 'em or you hate 'em... ...or you're like me and think they're kinda nice but don't really care that much.

If you're a "completely s-fold the canopy into a stack and then pull the bag over it" kinda person, the split bag makes it easier to get the bulk into the back corners of the bag, particularly considering the shape of Mirage bags. I had one for quite a while and liked it. I don't have one with my current Mirage and I miss it sometimes on particularly dry days.

If you're a "make part of the s-fold, then put that in the bag, then sit the bag up and make the other half of the s-fold directly into the bag" kinda person then the split bag will just barf your pack job all over the place. I've found that people who encounter this problem are generally not open to trying new bagging methods, so they get a new bag or have the split sewn shut.

And the up-thread talk about "bag rock" has nothing to do with the split or non-split, it's talking about how the line stow points are closer to the centerline of the bag. I don't know if that makes that much of a difference in "bag rock" but I like it for the simple reason that shorter stows gives you more control over how much excess you end up with, rather than having to choose between "way to little" and "a crapload".

/edited to add: and the Mirage split bags don't have velcro on them. I certainly would not want velcro that close to my lines if I could help it.

If you're a "completely s-fold the canopy into a stack and then pull the bag over it" kinda person, the split bag makes it easier to get the bulk into the back corners of the bag

That's how I pack, and I find it easier without the split bag.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

I have a split bag on my Mirage and once I learned how to pack with it I don't have any issues with using it whatsoever... I do complete the S-fold before putting the canopy in the bag and have always done that...

I have tried putting it in the bag then doing the S-fold but never got the hang of it... my wife does it that way however she has a Javelin and a Mirage G3 neither of which have a split bag...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

If you're a "completely s-fold the canopy into a stack and then pull the bag over it" kinda person, the split bag makes it easier to get the bulk into the back corners of the bag

That's how I pack, and I find it easier without the split bag.

*shrugs*

YMMV depending on your particular container/bag size and canopy combination. I do think it makes more sense to have the non-split bag as standard because that's what more people are used to. It was a good call to switch back on Mirage's part.