AllyMilne

Wierd advice from whuffos

Here is somthing i just found on Wikipedia , now who came up with this?

About one in a hundred primary parachute openings is a streamer. Emergency parachutes have a better ratio, with between one in three hundred, and one in five hundred parachute openings failing. Most skydivers believe that they can pack their primary parachutes as carefully as a professional rigger. Thus, a typical jumper can expect to die when both parachutes fail, between once in 30,000 and once in 250,000 dives, depending on the care taken in packing the parachutes. Most skydivers retire from age and infirmity before they reach 10,000 jumps.

This is why jumpers should never pack their parachutes when hurried, sleepy, drunk or on drugs.

threre my be stats to support the claim. but w/ a little interesting number work you can make any stats to your favor.
and most likely it was writte by some one who had no clue.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

About one in a hundred primary parachute openings is a streamer

that's why I get a new canopy every 99 jumps :P:P

This is why jumpers should never pack their parachutes when hurried, sleepy, drunk or on drugs.

that's also why I give it to a packer when I'm drunk or on drugs
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

A Whuffo at work told me to "never pack your parachute under trees - it's very dangerous you know!" I just smiled sweetly, and said, "OK" :S

I wish you had asked her; "Why?" I'm curious as to what she was thinking.

The only thing I can think of is if it is a pine tree - the sap can drip down onto your parachute, and it's very corrosive and will eat holes in your nylon. But those would be just little holes, and certainly not life-threatening.

A Whuffo at work told me to "never pack your parachute under trees - it's very dangerous you know!" I just smiled sweetly, and said, "OK"

See the problem here is you're assuming this person was logical and/or intelligent. :S

Cos if you accidently pull the string you will go up like my uncles tandem video.

I actually met a pair of whuffos that I couldn't talk out of the belief that "pulling the string" makes you go "up."
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

A Whuffo at work told me to "never pack your parachute under trees - it's very dangerous you know!" I just smiled sweetly, and said, "OK"

See the problem her is you're assuming this person was logical and/or intelligent. :S

also.. assuming said whuffo is female.. ;)
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Most skydivers believe that they can pack their primary parachutes as carefully as a professional rigger

I sure don't and I sure hope that my rigger packs my reserve much more carefully than I do my main; esp when trying to make a 15min call.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

The Wikipedia page on parachutes looks much better now... The version quoted in the first post of the thread was quite amusing!:S

It wouldn't hurt to re-write the section on parachute design though.

plus there are a lot of related pages that have little or no information on them:
Accuracy
CF
FS
Style
Freestyle
Paraski
Wingsuit flying

Come on people, contribute!

***Most skydivers lose interest in the sport long before they reach any statistical certainty of a fatality. The average skydiver in the U.S. makes about 200 jumps per year and will leave the sport before his 5th year.

That's a load of crap really, it's an opinion rather than any statistical fact. The writer seems to imply that you are going to go in sooner or later, according to statistics. From what I've seen, jumpers are only starting to get really keen on the sport, after 5 years !:ph34r:

Yes/no ?

As we in Africa know - "If you're going to be dumb - you'd better be tough."
- Tonto

That's a load of crap really, it's an opinion rather than any statistical fact.

OOps......'statistical fact' ?? Is that an oxymoron or what ?

As we in Africa know - "If you're going to be dumb - you'd better be tough."
- Tonto

From what I've seen, jumpers are only starting to get really keen on the sport, after 5 years !

Yes/no ?

There was an industry study a few years ago to determine why people leave the sport.

It used to be that jumpers did about 150 jumps per year. At around the 2 or 2.5 year point, some would get cocky and whack themselves.

At this point, they were forced to reconsider their participation in the sport on several factors.
1- The financial impact of the injury.
2- The reaction from friends/family/SO.
3- The realization that a life-changing injury has occurred and a worse one could happen.
4- After the recovery period, do they really want to continue.