skydiverkeith

Multiple closing loops.

I think it can be hazardous to assume 2 are better than one. Is the grommet large enough to allow both loops to pass? Was it designed for this? If both loops try to go through the grommet at the same time can they hang up? What if one loop is caught inside the other?

My concern is that 2 loops are a bandaid for not maintaining one and may just cause more problems than they solve.

-Michael

Parachutes de France has been using double reserve closing loops, with their LOR type of RSL.
They use Spectra cord slightly lighter than Cypres cord.
The LOR system has two RSLs, with curved pins on the bottom end, similar to Sigma and most Vector RSLs. Each curved pin goes through a separate reserve closing loop.
Both reserve closing loops are threaded through a Cypres cutter.

Was it approved by Airtek?
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

I recall in the days when we used 550 cord for loops...

What are folks using these days? I used to keep a bunch of 550 in my gearbag for pull-ups and closing loops. All gutted of course.

I use "Type IIA" in mine and in several others.

Type IIA is gutted 550 cord;)

LOL! Thanks. :D

I think it can be hazardous to assume 2 are better than one. Is the grommet large enough to allow both loops to pass? Was it designed for this? If both loops try to go through the grommet at the same time can they hang up? What if one loop is caught inside the other?

My concern is that 2 loops are a bandaid for not maintaining one and may just cause more problems than they solve.

-Michael

Plenty of room

Hell you could probalby put 4 or 5 on there and stil not come close enough to jam in the grommet;)

Closing loops are just not that big.

I will stick with 2 when I am doing the speed skydives thanks:)

I test my loops on every closing with a power tool. That is the way I break them.

If a closing loop breaks while closing, it should have been replaced a long time ago!

Well, tell me where and what from can it get a stronger pull, than closing with a power tool?

When closing, you are not applying that much more force than is on the loop when the container is closed - you are only pulling it up far enough to insert the pin. If you are able to break it by pulling on it by hand (even with a powertool), then it was worn to the point of having only a small fraction of its original strength remaining, and was very close to breaking.

Imagine what could happen if your container took a hard hit on climbout or exit; the extra force on a closing loop that is close to breaking could cause it to fail.

A quick visual inspection while packing will tell you when your loop is getting worn. Closing loops cost a few pennies and take a couple minutes to make - there's no reason to try to get by with a worn out loop. You can make a bunch while watching TV or something, and keep them in your gear bag so they are available whenever you need them.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

I test my loops on every closing with a power tool. That is the way I break them.

If a closing loop breaks while closing, it should have been replaced a long time ago!

Well, tell me where and what from can it get a stronger pull, than closing with a power tool?

When closing, you are not applying that much more force than is on the loop when the container is closed - you are only pulling it up far enough to insert the pin. If you are able to break it by pulling on it by hand (even with a powertool), then it was worn to the point of having only a small fraction of its original strength remaining, and was very close to breaking.

I keep my loops tight enough and I do pull them hard. Have you noticed that your rig is still getting in shape after you closed and its easier to close it again if you open open and don't pull everything out?

Imagine what could happen if your container took a hard hit on climbout or exit; the extra force on a closing loop that is close to breaking could cause it to fail.

I don't think so. Your pin gets out easier.

A quick visual inspection while packing will tell you when your loop is getting worn. Closing loops cost a few pennies and take a couple minutes to make - there's no reason to try to get by with a worn out loop. You can make a bunch while watching TV or something, and keep them in your gear bag so they are available whenever you need them.

I do make my own loops.

I keep my loops tight enough and I do pull them hard. Have you noticed that your rig is still getting in shape after you closed and its easier to close it again if you open open and don't pull everything out?

Yes, a pack job will settle somewhat over time, and yes, that will result in somewhat reduced closing loop tension. That doesn't change the fact that a loop that is worn to the point that it just barely survives closing provides very little safety margin, and could easily break at a very bad time.

I don't think so. Your pin gets out easier.

You think so? Depends on where and how the container is hit. Push on both sides of your container and observe how the canopy bulges outwards, putting more pressure on the closing loop. Now imagine getting wedged between the door frame and another jumper on climbout or exit.

I do make my own loops.

Then why not change them a bit earlier instead of endangering the lives of everyone on the aircraft?
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg