Susanne_S

Transceiver to find cut away canopies?

In the last weeks several people asked me if it's possible to attach something like a small transmitter to a main canopy, to make it possible to find it in case of a cut away. Maybe something like an avalanche transceiver.

I remember I've seen an advertising for such a system in a (american?) skydiving magazine years ago. There was a small part sewn to the riser and a larger detector that could be rented. Does anyone know if this still exists, and how good it works?

www.wingsuit.de

There are some products made for keeping track of your children that I would think are the least expensive.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

George Galloway(Precision) was offering it for awhile circa 2005 if I recall correctly. It never really caught on as it was not cheap by any means.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

George Galloway(Precision) was offering it for awhile circa 2005 if I recall correctly. It never really caught on as it was not cheap by any means.

I think it was called para-telemtry and based on a piece of equipment used for falconry.

It is indeed called ParaTelemetry, and I still have several hundred transmitters and receivers which are worth their price ten times over if you ever need one. The problem is, the "it will never happen to me" mentality is a lot to overcome for a new product.

If you want proof from an experienced repeat user, contact the people who have been testing the high-altitude canopies and drogues during the past year preparing for Felix Baumgartmer's upcoming Red Bull Stratos jump from 120,000 feet.
They use four different frequencies so they can track up to 4 free-drogues at a time in the desert, and they haven't lost one yet! A blind man could find 'em using ParaTelemetry. Too bad the sport didn't catch on, but remember "it won't happen to me."

George Galloway
Precision Aerodynamics
ParaTelemetry

I'm guessing a lot of people would love to have them if they were affordable, unobtrusive and the batteries lasted. But if they're too expensive (a subjective concept, to be sure), that will scare some people off, especially since it's not a safety device

So the first question: how much do they cost?

Google for "pet tracker" or "model airplane tracker" and similar. They come in all shapes and sizes, from expensive and bulky GPS tracking to simple radio beeper that works for couple 100 feet.

You can also find plenty of instructions for DIY tracker.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

I would think that the majority of the initial expense could be spread out over an entire dropzone's users, then each person that wants to buy the little (relatively cheap) unit to attach to the d-bag/risers, etc. It sure seems like the kid tracker units are really small, I would think the cost would put it into the no-brainer gotta have category.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am