swooper109

Icarus 330 openings and line twists

I have close to 1000 tandems in the last 2 1/2 years and so far enjoyed all of them. I have flown the sigma 390's, 370's, Precision and the A2 with 0 malfunctions, and with 0 line twists. This year i started jumping the icarus 330 and have 250 jumps on these mains this season. I constantly have line twists on this canopy and i hate it. I had my first tandem chop last weekend on jump 16 of the day due to line twists. My personal main is a vx 79 in wich i have 500 jumps on it. I constantly look at my videos when i have line twists and body position is not the issue. If somebody can help me out with some advice to get through this problem i would greatly appreciate it.

I have close to 1000 tandems in the last 2 1/2 years and so far enjoyed all of them. I have flown the sigma 390's, 370's, Precision and the A2 with 0 malfunctions, and with 0 line twists. This year i started jumping the icarus 330 and have 250 jumps on these mains this season. I constantly have line twists on this canopy and i hate it. I had my first tandem chop last weekend on jump 16 of the day due to line twists. My personal main is a vx 79 in wich i have 500 jumps on it. I constantly look at my videos when i have line twists and body position is not the issue. If somebody can help me out with some advice to get through this problem i would greatly appreciate it.

Dont forget, you have about 170 lbs of stupid on front of you that could throw your body position off.

But, is it spinning in one direction ever time? Built in turn when its flying with the breaks stowed?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

But, is it spinning in one direction ever time? Built in turn when its flying with the breaks stowed?

There are no brake settings on Icarus tandem and the canopy opens on full drive.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Just a worn rubber band releasing the slack a smidgen prior to the other could cause this too. (assuming a brake line s stow at the tail)

We started replacing the rubber bands at the same time on our canopies set up like this and things got a lot better.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

If people are "stowing the brakes" with elastics at the d lines with a bight of brake lines, you may see more problems... During the week at the DZ i'm at, the instructors pack without the "brakes stowed" as mentioned above. Openings are generally great. On weekends the packers use them... openings are generally spinners, divers and line twists...

Is the bag coming off your back and spinning already or do you look up, see a nice snivel and then when the slider comes down, line twists?

If you have 1000 tandems, you shouldn't have to worry about your body position... you should be good enough to fly your openings... even with this "stupid" on the front of you...

Also avoid pushing the nose into the packjob... that seems to cause problems with our packers too...

all we jump are icarus 330... anywhere from 25-1000 jumps on the 15 or so canopies we have right meow. Line sets are in various stages of disrepair...