quade

Oh really . . . "100-foot asteroid to fly by Earth"

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/03/18/asteroid.ap/index.html

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/

26,500 miles is about the distance from the earth to the geosyncronous telecommunications satellites, which are at 26,300 miles. That's pretty far for an orbit, but pretty damn close for a big freekin' rock that we didn't know existed 5 days ago.

Ok, so, in light of the planetary hair trigger right now, how long do you think it's going to be before one of these "little" non-planet killers enters the atmosphere and starts a nuke war by mistake?

Just a month or so ago scientists waffled on whether or not to wake the POTUS up early to tell him there may be a collision with a 1km diameter object. After some quick calcs they decided it wasn't going to hit the earth after all, but what if they hadn't spotted it and what if it had even just grazed the atmosphere with a Tunguska like effect?

Lest ye all think I'm nuts . . . http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/10/03/asteroid.hearing/index.html . . . I ain't the only one concerned.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Lucifer's Hammer?

One of the neatest books around...man, that was a good read. I think I need to hunt my copy up and re-read it.

"Hot Fudge Sundae on a Tuesday this year...".

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Ah, it's only a hundred-footer...:SB|

Even if it were to hit the earth, 3/4 of the surface is ocean and almost everything North and South 60 deg is uninhabited...id est - The Yukon, Greenland, Siberia / Africa, Australia...:SB|

Now a big-assed rock (e.g., < 1km nickel-iron bastard), that would be something to be concerned about.:o. If that's the case, I hope it hits Pyongyang....:D

You left out the kewl part - how an object 100' in diameter was spotted over 25,000 miles out in space...wow.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

You left out the kewl part - how an object 100' in diameter was spotted over 25,000 miles out in space...wow.

There are directions and times from which we can see things and directions and times from which we can't.

My guess is the ones to be really worried about are the over 1km objects coming at us from the directions and times of observations we have the most trouble seeing.

What would really be ideal, in my mind at least, would be to have a couple or three observatories on the Moon as well.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

My guess is the ones to be really worried about are the over 1km objects coming at us from the directions and times of observations we have the most trouble seeing.

I'd be quite worried about 1km objects whether we could see them or not.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Ok, so, in light of the planetary hair trigger right now, how long do you think it's going to be before one of these "little" non-planet killers enters the atmosphere and starts a nuke war by mistake?

So I'm picturing here people in each of about 4 or 5 countries with their fingers over buttons. They are very tense and very tired, and are constantly being screamed at by their superiors and their superiors' superiors.

Someone drops a coffee cup. The people stab the button and total nuclear chaos ensues...

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hmm when is the End of the Mayan Calendar supposed to be????

2012. But don't worry, with out time travel work being done at Montauk, we'll be able to... Hold on, there's a knock at the door.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Just a month or so ago scientists waffled on whether or not to wake the POTUS up early to tell him there may be a collision with a 1km diameter object. After some quick calcs they decided it wasn't going to hit the earth after all, but what if they hadn't spotted it and what if it had even just grazed the atmosphere with a Tunguska like effect?

Actually, they never did. This part was made up by the press for sensationalism >:(, as is often the case with this kind of news.

Blue Skies,

Valentino

Edited to add: I mean they never discussed calling up the President, the rest i more or less true.

Hmm when is the End of the Mayan Calendar supposed to be????

2012. But don't worry, with out time travel work being done at Montauk, we'll be able to... Hold on, there's a knock at the door.

hey, that's my gag.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

100-foot asteroid to fly by Earth

26,500 miles

26,500 miles?!?!?!?...Thats not a fly by. Like I tell the pilots at the DZ....."If I don't have to duck, don't bother."

:P
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334