Opendore

Rigs from the mid to late 80's

Does anyone still regularly jump them??
How often do you jump it?
If so, is the main canopy from the 80's as well?
If the main is from the 80's, did you just get it relined?
Any other info, if you jump an 80's rig, is welcome.

Thanks.
I don't have a license for this.

Does anyone still regularly jump them??
How often do you jump it?
If so, is the main canopy from the 80's as well?
If the main is from the 80's, did you just get it relined?
Any other info, if you jump an 80's rig, is welcome.

Translation:

"I'm a new jumper, I've just bought an old rig from the 1980's, and I'm wondering if I re-line the main canopy on this set-up is it going to be safe to jump?"

Answer:

Have a rigger inspect it.

I think I'd offer him $200 for it. The main is probably shot since he's not telling you how many total jumps it has on it (F111 mains are only good for about 1000 jumps at that loading.) The reserve is probably close to being shot; if it's been in service even half the time since 87 it will have 35 repacks on it, and the lifetime of a reserve isn't much beyond that (although Ravens have no hard and fast lifetime limit.) The container is going to be usable for larger mains provided that it really is airworthy. It also claims "AAD ready" but cypreses weren't around in 1987, so unless that was modded as well it may mean "Sentinel ready" or something, which is useless to you.

If you really want this, I'd offer him some low amount of $$, replace the reserve, install a Cypres and have someone test jump the main. If there's any flare left you might be able to get a few hundred jumps out of it.

I did something similar to this. In 1991 I bought a Swift container with a round reserve and a Pursuit 215 for $200. I replaced the reserve with a PD160 and jumped the Pursuit for a while until I hurt my knee and my girlfriend broke her ankle trying to land it. Then I got a PD190, then a Racer with a two pin Cypres.

In any case if you really have 5 jumps I'd wait until you graduate and have made a few jumps on rental gear before you buy anything. I guarantee your desires will change.

Thanks a lot Billvon!!
The fact that he sent it to Eloy last year made me consider it...
Now, after what you just said, I am not interested in it at all.
I appreciate the feedback.
I just gotta go jump. I really do only have 5 jumps.

I wanted to be able to have a rig as soon as I had my A. Renting gear is a jump in my mind.
But, I suppose I should take my time. The sky will always be there.
The thing is five jumps in three years gets a little tiresome. [:/] (I won't get into that though... :P )

Thanks again!
Take Care.

That guy must be dreaming if he thinks he is gonna get anywhere near the $800 mark for that setup, unless he finds a real sucker.
As for old (80s) rigs, I know a few people who still jump them and they seem to work fine for belly flying (with some mods like BOC and tuck tabs to replace worn velcro). A guy at Skyfest this year was jumping a Wonderhog that was one of the first produced by Relative Workshop (now UPT).

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

There will always be ancient, obsolete gear for sale on e-Bay. There are mainly 2 markets for it:
(a) Genuine collectors, who are long-time experienced jumpers (who have modern gear, and that's what they jump most of the time) who make a hobby out of collecting, and maybe re-habbing, vintage gear, and sometimes jumping it occasionally, just like some people like collecting vintage ...well, whatever, and

(b) Suckers: newbies to the sport, who don't know any better (yet), who will be separated from a couple-few hundred bucks because they're over-eager to get a "deal", when in fact they're basically getting scammed for something more or less worthless to them - but they won't figure it out until it's too late. Don't be one of those guys.

Yes, there are a few people who jump very old gear. But generally they're experienced jumpers who understand what they have.

It will be interesting to see if anyone is. I would think you'd have to jump it pretty infrequently to have any rig from the 80's still in service.

My CRW rig is an 89 vector. 4 jumps today, 10 last weekend. I bet its got more jumps this last ten years on it than its first ten years. Its not the only late 80's vector on our team. Then there is a northern lites ( spl) among us.

Can't believe some people are actually considering putting their lifes at risk using such uber mega total shit deathtrap gear... B|

To me they all seem that way, considering I only have very little experience with student rigs...
I have to figure out what really is a poor choice by asking questions and LEARNING about the sport.
Arrogance with the knowledge I have, gets me no where.
[sarcasm] Thanks for the info though... [/sarcasm]
Read your sig line again. :|[:/]

btw. I didn't think the rig had any silk parts. ;)

Hey mate as an example of what u can get a few months ago off eBay I brought a 1995 model rig with 500 jumps on it for $500 us with a saber 170 in great nic and teardrop container and reserve. So there are bargains out there if u keep your eyes peeled.

Can't believe some people are actually considering putting their lifes at risk using such uber mega total shit deathtrap gear... B|

So says the guy with only 3-years in the sport, and thus, probably no experience whatsoever with older gear.

Question to you: At what age does skydiving equipment become "uber mega total shit deathtrap" gear?

Note: 30 years from now, some new skydivers are going to come along and they'll call the gear YOU are jumping now "uber mega total shit deathtrap" gear. Will they be justified in doing so?

So says the guy with only 3-years in the sport, and thus, probably no experience whatsoever with older gear.

Question to you: At what age does skydiving equipment become "uber mega total shit deathtrap" gear?

When the new "uber kewl gots mad bells and whistles and is even shinyer" stuff is released and makes our current awesome equipment into "uber mega total shit deathtrap" gear.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I had a late 80's Talon and it was a great rig. My main was a Lazer 7 220, similar to what is in this rig, and I had a round reserve. That rig, since it has been inspected, repaired and certified by Rigging Innovations is probably serviceable. I'd have a master rigger inspect the canopies but they're likely to be serviceable as well.
It may be ugly, but as long as it passes inspection, I'd jump it. I'd probably replace the main asap tho.

Oh, I wouldn't pay what he's asking either. It may be worth the $500 R.I. charged him for repairs & certification but that's it.

I've still got a mirage from 12/83 in jumpable condition. I bought it used when it had about 25 jump on it. Right now it's holding an out of date Phantom 26 with a PD 210 in it.

During the day, I jumped a swift 5 cell and Fury 220 in it.

Well, one of my main canopies is a 20 year old Fury 220 with (now) 89 jumps on it.

It still doesn't flare, not that it ever did, but is safe. Certainly not "uber mega death trap kill-you-the-instant-you-pull".

Had it checked by a rigger of course etc. etc. it still has lots of jumps left in it.

Hell, people look at it and laugh, and it doesn't smell great (not contaminated, just smells like my granddad), but damn, it works!

Hmmm,

I still jump my old 1984 Centaurus container and 1986 Sidewinder when I'm looking for something different. They have a Clipper and Turbo Z respectively with round reserves.

Piece of S**t death traps, they'll be the end of me one day, mark my words.:P

mirage from 12/83

When I got back into jumping after a long layoff, I still had my Mirage, with a Firefly and a KXX reserve. They worked fine, and the one time someone gave me shit about finding it in a museum, I told him "well, I bought it new" :D

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Really? Dude there are people at my DZ that jump Sweet Hog's still and they are in great shape. Hell Cliff Schmucker (owner of SSK) jumps a Sweet Hog. Sure they made them but he still jumps it.

Sorry Sangi.... I do not normally rag on you for some of your stupid comments but this one is just ignorant!
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I just made my 1st jump last week since the summer of 1979. In the interval, I got old (61 yo), fat (265) and have an arthritic hip. The only thing available was something called a Strong Student Hawk (How old I don't know) and a KT-9 (300 ft2) main. I had a master rigger completely take the rig apart and inspect everything, put a Cypress in it and repack everything explaining why he was doing everything. He had no financial interest in the transaction other than the inspect & repack fees and said used properly, it would safe for me to use. I didn't pay much for the rig itself. The main has about 200 jumps on it and seems to require an aggressive flare to get stopped at the bottom. It's the penalty for getting fat I guess but I losing weight and looking for a Navigator main suitable for an old man. Don't expect any swoop landings from me. Sometimes you take what you can get and try to be extra careful until you can do better. The jump was a hoot!