diver123

Would this be distasteful?

What's the better story for 'em to tell their friends, family and peers:

"I had a balloon ride". or:
I had a ballon ride, then there was an air horn and I saw someone fall out of the other balloon! And for a second I was really worried, then I saw the canopy open... and then I remembered... oh yeah, that bastards a skydiver..."

Yeah. I say go for it. There shouldn't be any permanently damaged feelings.

Make sure the balloon people are ok with ballon jumps though. Don't know anything about piloting a balloon, but I understand it can be tricky with folks jumping out.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Sorry, my vote is to tell them. How would you like to be one of them, thinking that they just saw a loved one fall to their death?
I guess it's cause I've lost loved ones in this sport, and it's not a joke.
Tell them, so they can take pictures and enjoy the day with you.
Putting a rig on in a balloon basket is very hard to do. There are too many things that pins and handles can get caught on. Not to mention, who's going to give you a good gear check cause you're all excited and want to scare them, and forgot to do your chest strap. Yeah, that will get their attention when you fall out of the rig.
Have fun, enjoy the day.

I guess you can tell I'm with the over 40 crowd for the answer

Not over 40, but I'd soooo agree with this...

If you're trying this hard to hide your rig, how safe are you going to be? And what if someone fell out trying to hold you in? If my brother or husband tried doing this, I would never forgive them...>:(
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

what you have to do is put your rig on like 10 minutes before you get in the balloon... wear the legstraps under your pants and put a jacket on over the rig... don't put your altimeter on until its taking off and so nobodies is paying attention
once you get at altitude take off the jacket while simultaneuously pointing out something on the other side of the balloon so they aren't watching... then suddenly start yelling and fall off... tell one of your buddies your plan so he can get video. B|

MB 3528, RB 1182

I'd say tell a few people in your balloon so they won't let anyone follow you out & so they could get video.
after you blow the horn, pretend like your taking a pic (w/ a disposable camera or something), but just can't get the right angle, so you climb up on the edge of the basket, flale & faaaalllllllll....
hopefully someone in the other balloon will remember that your an obsessed skydiver & love to pull pranks like this & will be able to reassure Mr. & Mrs. Blog on their anniv that nothing will go wrong.

Wear your rig onto the balloon - no need trying to put it on in a cramped space w/ a big space below you.

This sounds hillarious!!! Oh, I'd also tell the friend that planned the outting.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

You can try, but I doubt you will get away with it. Anyone who knows me knows that theres no way in HEYULL I'm going to land in a balloon. If I've got altitude, I'm using it. You fam and friends probably already assume that you're going to jump, so you'd just look like an idiot trying to "fall out". Do a really cool exit for them to enjoy instead, and save uncle bob's heart attack for Thanksgiving dinner.

Or scream real loud "Good-bye cruel world!!!" :D

But I don't know how close the balloons will be and if they could hear you.

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

It's not about the people in the other balloon, it's about your jump. If they don't know it's happening, then how will they get good video.

1-Everyone in your balloon needs to know (as you already stated) - no need for heroes here.

2 - Someone in the other balloon should be in on it and have a camera.

3 - everyone else in the other balloon? whatever, maybe two people in the other balloon should have cameras, one for you and one for the 'spectators'.

4 - likely both pilots will know since you prearranged it.

that leave how many people you are pranking on? One?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Now you all can see my dilema. I can completely understand both perspectives. The entire party is comprised of only friends, no family, but I also failed to consider the other paying customers...??? I think I'm just going to make a nice exit without any huge production (screaming and flailing) and let them figure it out. They all know I skydive so I've got to assume that they'd be in the know within the first couple seconds. This way they get an extra treat, and they don't have to entertain the thought of a mishap, and I get my jump. As far as the other group, well, they'll just have to deal with it. ;)

"pull high! It's lower than you think..."

My question is: Would it be a distasteful practical joke to not let anyone in the other basket know I'm jumping and scare the crap out of them???

Okay, I'll play devil's advocate:

Yes; very bad taste. You shouldn't put someone in fear for the life of someone they love.

It reminds me of the Science Fiction channel show called "Scare Tactics", where they make someone fear for their life, and then reveal that it was just a practical joke at the end. I think its disgusting.

Why would you intentionally inflict emotional trauma on people you love?

I appreciate the views and opinions of all who took the time to respond. I've decided on a compromise of sorts. I will board the balloon having only revealed my secret to the person in charge of filming. I will ascend with the rest of the people in my basket until jump altitude, at which time I'll simply remove my altered wind breaker and climb out ... and jump! This way the act of the skydive will be a surprise, but there will be no confusion about what's going on... ;)

Alright, so my birthday is this Saturday and I've asked for a hot air balloon ride as a gift... I found out the name of the company and called them up to request permission to make a jump while I'm up there... The company ok'd it and it will be so...

Presumably you talked altitude with them? I thought "balloon rides" were typically at a much lower altitude than lifts specifically for balloon jumps.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Have you ever been in a balloon basket before? Do you think there is really enough room to hide your gear on your back?
I also suggest talking to the pilot of the balloon and see if he's ever let jumpers out before. There is some different things that need to be done.

Quote from an ex mod here "Think".
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I have made one other balloon jump and it was with the same company. I mentioned in my original post that I looked up the company name, but that was only cause I failed to get it when I made my first one with them (it was a boogie)...

Y'all some morbid Mutha Fu$$$$s -
All you have to do is put the rig in the basket BEFORE -

Oh yeah - I like morbid!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun