diver123

Would this be distasteful?

Alright, so my birthday is this Saturday and I've asked for a hot air balloon ride as a gift... I found out the name of the company and called them up to request permission to make a jump while I'm up there... The company ok'd it and it will be so... My question is: Would it be a distasteful practical joke to not let anyone in the other basket (there will be two balloons and some of my party will be in the one that I'm not) know I'm jumping and scare the crap out of them??? I'm getting mixed reviews and don't want to permanently damage anyone's feelings. Thoughts?

"pull high! It's lower than you think..."

How are you going to hide your rig?

Otherwise, I say go for it.B| Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. You might want to let one person in on the secret....

That's kinda cool...I want to do that to my mom and sister...;)

Edit to add: BTW, tell us how it goes/what happens after you do it! :D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

To make it even more priceless, you need to play the part of a falling, helpless victim complete with screams, arms flailing and your friends in the basket screaming frantically trying to grab you as you fall over.

doesnt that happen on everyones first baloon jump anyways?

I agree. However, since I purchased a cheap windbreaker from GoodWill and modified it with a small piece of velcrow in place of the front zipper, I think it will do a good enough job of hiding it that no one will get suspicious... Plus, I could put the leg straps under my pants right?

Ah yes, should've specified. This will be my 2nd balloon jump. I asked for the ride to pay for the jump :)

I guess I share the same sentiments as you all, but a few of my friends that won't be participating have expressed concerns that it is, in their words; "a sick and twisted joke"... They cited playing on someone's emotions like that with an item as serious as death is over the line... In any case, I guess we'll see... I'm going to have someone take video and pictures so I'll have some footage to share.

I think that if they know your a skydiver I am sure they will figure it out once they see the canopy. I would maybe tell one person in the other basket so someone is in on it as long as they can keep it quiet :D
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Try to put your rig in the balloon BEFORE everybody gets in. Then you can put your rig on once you get airborne. Nobody in the other one will know. Make sure you have a way to signal them(tell them you need them all to look over at a certain time - like when you sound an air horn - so you can take a picture). Then, when they're watching, "fall" out.

They'll freak out for about 20 seconds until you pull....then they'll be laughing their asses off, or they'll want to kill you.. :D

Mike

have a blast- sounds like a great birthday!!:)
The last balloon jumps we did- I drove around trying to pick up jumpers...adventure...

1 jumper wanted to land at work a few miles away, altitude sucked but he went for it anyway- B|

-another jumper landed in a school field sliding thru the goal posts with 1/2 kids and teachers watching thru windows- :P

-all the rest landed in a farm field with rows of blueberry bushes (yuckers)--farmer wasn't too pleased :D

SMiles;)

Sorry, my vote is to tell them. How would you like to be one of them, thinking that they just saw a loved one fall to their death?
I guess it's cause I've lost loved ones in this sport, and it's not a joke.
Tell them, so they can take pictures and enjoy the day with you.
Putting a rig on in a balloon basket is very hard to do. There are too many things that pins and handles can get caught on. Not to mention, who's going to give you a good gear check cause you're all excited and want to scare them, and forgot to do your chest strap. Yeah, that will get their attention when you fall out of the rig.
Have fun, enjoy the day.

I guess you can tell I'm with the over 40 crowd for the answer
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Are there going to be others besides your party going up as well? Pulling a joke like this on friends and family who know and will forgive you is one thing, but if other people are involved I for one would be pissed after spending $$$$ to go for a nice balloon ride. They may also take it out on the balloon company, which in turn may not be so willing to cooperate with skydivers in the future...

Shawn

Imagine if they tried to stop you climbing out and they fell out. How would you feel? They are paying customers too - if you let them know they will enjoy the ride more.

What's funny to you might not be to Mr & Mrs Bloggs on their wedding anniversary.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

My first thought was go for it, and get video, preferably in the other balloon, so we can see the other people's expressions. After reading the other folks responses, I think it might be better to tell them. It would really suck to scare the shit out of them, then have them pissed at you for who knows how long.

I think it would be funny to do what you are planning. But after doing a balloon jump at rantoul last year and having a family that was out for a drive that happened to see the balloons pick me up, They told me they saw me fall out of the balloon and thought I was dead until they saw the parachute. I felt verry bad for them and i would never think to put my loved ones thru that. But according to what your family is like it could still be funny as hell;)
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle