Will_Evo

Z1 Visor- How does it come off?

Hey, quick question for the z1 Helmet owners...I am trying to take off the visor..and even when reading the results of searching, am having a really hard time seeing what I am suppose to do. The inside of the connector looks like a giant screw head nad the outside looks like it could be twisted by hand but has a plastic line in the middle of a hole. For the life on me I can't figure this out, and don't want to continue cause I am afraid of breaking the connector.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

It depends on the age of your helmet. Mine is a few years old and it helped to use a socket tool inside the helmet. Get one that fits and the job is a lot easier. I think it was a 12 or 14 mm. It takes about 10-15 minutes to swap them out. Leave the film on till the job is finished.
Dano

Not on mine, both pieces are plastic inside and out,

The one on the inside is a big button with a slit where you can use a flat head screwdriver to hold or turn in place. The outside looks the lid of a can with the plastic fitted piece that actually holds the spring compressed and the visor on.

Once I figured out how the thing worked, getting the second one off was a breeze. All I did was place firm pressure with my palm on the outside piece, while with a screwdriver I turned the inside piece...once the the slot was lined up correctly, the spring decompressed and up popped the joint. Then it was a simple prying game to get all of the components off and the studs out of the helmet.

Just to clarify for future questions like this, understanding how the system works will help greatly with taking it apart. So I will explain briefly what how it works.

The inside piece is a stud with a specific shape, the outside piece has a hole in it the size of the stud and a section where only the specific shape of the stud will fit. The mechanism works by compressing a spring between the two and once the stud has been inserted in the hole**(haha)and the joint has been twisted to a point that the stud no longer matches up with its hole, the spring applies pressure to keep it in that position therefore keeping the joint from coming apart. So on removal..all you gotta do is spin the stud till it matches up with the shape on the other piece.

-Evo
Zoo Crew