SuFantasma

At the Hell with the Reserve Handle !

I must be bored out of my mind!!!!

Apparently, some expert on skydiving operations decided to post a new set of emergency procedures!

You've got to see this !

http://www.worstcasescenarios.com/scenario.htm?scenarioid=8&cache=1079818026

Well, lets throw away the SIM 2004.... this procedure does it for me... I am particularly fond of point up to let my fellow skydiver know that I am too stupid to try the reserve !
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

About two years ago, I impacted under a partially inflated canopy, when I lost altitude awareness during a 2 way (if you're wondering, exit altitude was 486'). I spent about two months in the hospital.

That book had just come out, at the time.

I received no less than four copies of the book as gifts from non-jumper friends. They all had that section (as well as "how to jump from a bridge into water") highlighted and marked.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Check your chute before you jump. The good news is that today’s parachutes are built to open,

yesterdays parachutes were designed to stay packed.
like that the next one would save a packjob

so even if you make big mistakes packing them, they tend to sort themselves out.

just ask some people who posted about their cutaways :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

They know that the reserve must be packed by a rigger

but they don't seem to know that the skydiver is allowed to open his reserve (or try to) without supervision of the rigger...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

How to Survive If Your Parachute Fails to Open

1. As soon as you realize that your chute is bad, signal to a jumping companion whose chute has not yet opened that you are having a malfunction. Wave your arms and point to your chute.

1. Well, lets see... my "chute" looks bad, my companion, who probably is tracking for his life will be around 200 feet away, ass pointing my way and reaching for his own freaking "chute". Oh wait, there must be somebody above me... Hey you, get down here !

2. When your companion (and new best friend) gets to you, hook arms.

2. When my "companion" gets to me ? Wait a second, here I am trailing a malfunctioning main canopy and waving to my "companion", come here, I need your help ! Lets hook up ! Never mind the freaking malfunction, we will be fine ! Lets hook arms and sing "Kumbaya" ! Oh, by the way, did I tell you you are my new best friend... I know we are perfect strangers floating in the sky.... I love you man !

3. Once you are hooked together, the two of you will be falling at terminal velocity, or about 130 miles per hour. When your friend opens his chute, there will be no way either of you will be able hold on to one another, because the G-forces will triple or quadruple your body weight. To prepare for this problem, hook your arms into his chest strap, or through the two sides of the front of his harness, all the way up to your elbows, and grab hold of your own strap.

3. The two of you will be floating at terminal velocity, alright ! 130MPH, my ass ! More like 160MPH if we are lucky. Oh, yeah, lets hope my "companion" did not pack him/herself a snapper, otherwise he will be bringing only my arms back to the DZ.

4. Open the chute. The chute opening shock will be severe, probably enough to dislocate or break your arms.

4. Open the chute ? Who me? I just hooked my freaking arms around the other skydiver's harness. I can't even give 'em the finger to pull ! Forget shaking hands after all this (or even patting the other skydiver in the ass), I'll be walking around like a knuckle dragging Orangutan !

5. Steer the canopy. Your friend must now hold on to you with one arm while steering his canopy (the part of the chute that controls direction and speed). If your friend’s canopy is slow and big, you may hit the grass or dirt slowly enough to break only a leg, and your chances of survival are high. If his canopy is a fast one, however, your friend will have to steer to avoid hitting the ground too fast. You must also avoid power lines and other obstructions at all costs.

5. Your "friend" is now probably loading at 3.0+, holding to you with one hand and steering with telekenesis. If you happened to have hooked up with a tandem master doing a solo, you will only break your arms.... otherwise, looks like a leg will be gone too ! What do you mean "I" have to avoid the powerlines and other obstructions, I am the one hanging by the tendons !

6. If there is a body of water nearby, head for that. Of course, once you hit the water, you will have to tread with just your legs and hope that your partner is able to pull you out before your chute takes in water.

6. Again, I ain't steering ! Tell my new found friend ! Of course, now I have no arms to swim, a potentially broken leg on landing... and a small humidity problem which is about to the same "you are out of luck" job as the parachute but in a slower fashion.

How to Prepare.

This is good ! I start preparing after I broke two arms, a leg and almost drowned....

Check your chute before you jump. The good news is that today’s parachutes are built to open, so even if you make big mistakes packing them, they tend to sort themselves out. The reserve chute, however, must be packed by a certified rigger and must be perfect as it is your last resort. Make sure that:

Thanks for the advice! Now I realize that parachutes are meant to open and that I have a reserve "chute"... Did you mention about trying this "reserve chute" before enticing companions into becoming my new best friends?

* The parachute is folded in straight lines—that there are no twists.

Ok, no twisting the rear or the nose.

* The slider is positioned correctly to keep the parachute from opening too fast.

Tell that to my new friend !
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"