gane53

Searching Used Rigs

I am searching for a used rig with a Sabre2 or Spectre 230 main complete set up with an AAD and i am having a difficult time finding one. It seems like everyone i look at is either really old or built for someone who is 5'4.
So i guess what i am looking for is some help or some direction. Is this that rare of a find?? I hate to buy new for my first rig. Waste a lot of money that i could of used towards jumps and coaching. What i am looking for is something newer in good condition to fit me and I am 6'1 220lbs. Thanks for any help.

If you're looking that way (e.g., must be THIS main, must be a complete rig, etc....) yes, it's "that rare." But if you're willing to be a bit more flexible, you should be able to put something together easily.

Couple options:

1) open up your options to include canopies other than the PD 230. There are plenty of 230 size canopies that are appropriate for a newer jumper.

2) consider picking up individual pieces of a rig separately. Often that's an easier way to put together a rig than finding everything together.

3) use the "wanted" feature of the classifieds here ... often that's a way to find things that aren't listed but might be sitting in a gear store or closet somewhere.

4) call some dealers to see what they have and see if they can help you track something down.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Maybe we're thinking of different things but technically a PD 230 is an F-111 canopy basically from the late 1980s.

Which would explain why any you find are old.

I have heard of people describing something like a PD Navigator 220 in a student rig as a "PD 220" as a modern abbreviation though.

A PD 230 may be appropriate if you are looking for something really cheap to get you in the air. But otherwise for anyone new in the sport, looking for their first rig, they need to be looking for a zero-p canopy.

So I'm guessing you really are (or should be) looking for a 230 sq ft docile zero-p canopy instead, from any of the manufacturers, not just PD.

(I haven't looked at your profile to think about appropriate wing loading, whether a 230 or something smaller would make sense.)

Hope that helps with getting on the right track.

I recently put together my first rig. I was set on finding EVERYTHING I wanted in one used rig. Yeah, right, only in a perfect world. Ended up finding a container that fit the size main I was looking for, a reserve that would fit the container, and a separate main to fill the empty hole. Sure, I could've saved a few hundred bucks settling for something complete, but I got what I wanted with some $$$ in my budget to spare.

I feel your pain. I have been looking for a decent rig that will hold a 230. Being 6'3" and previously weighing 220-225 it was almost impossible to find something to accomodate me. Being a tall & heavier individual in this sport is a little frustrating.

In a year of searching I have only found a handful of rigs that would fit me and hold the canopies I need, most of which were old or overpriced. I've decided to start piecing a rig together, saving the AAD for last since it's cost is determined by remaining service life. Good luck with your search, it has been very frustrating for me.

Thank you guys for the advice. I will look into that. I made a mistake what i meant by PD is Performance Designs. Sorry about that.

There's an older canopy called the "PD 230" but as I think you're aware PD makes (or made - the original Sabre is out of production) a bunch of other canopies that are appropriate for newer jumpers - including Sabre, Sabre2, Spectre, and Silhouette (these four have all been around for a while and will likely be more available on the used market) as well as the Pulse and Storm (newer canopies, less of a used market for these, though they will pop up from time to time).

And as others have said, finding a container that will take a 230 does require patience - but they're out there.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=95088;d=1

See if they still got it?

Have someone measure you, get the s/n of the rig, call Sun Path and ask them if it would fit.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

What i am looking for is something newer in good condition to fit me and I am 6'1 220lbs. Thanks for any help.

As previously mentioned, stop looking at complete rigs. Between main, reserve, AAD, harness size and container size, the chance that every one of those things will match your needs are slim.

Start looking at seperate components, and also keep looking at complete rigs. Not hoping to get lucky with a complete rig, but anytime you see any part of a complete rig you're interested in, see if they will part it out. Some sellers don't mind, and others have been trying to sell their rig so long, they'll take whatever they can get out of it.

In terms of containers, keep in mind that a harness can be resized for between $200 and $400, depending on the type of rig, harness, and how much needs to be changed. If you see a container that will fit your canopies, and you like everything but the harness size, get the serial number and contact the manufacturer with that and your measurements for a price quote on a resize.

Seeing as a new container is going to run you north of $2000, you can save some money buying used and paying for the resize. You get a custom fit harness for substantially less than buying new. Even though it means nothing to the seller, you can use the resize in your price negotiation. If they want to move the container, and they know you're not just low-balling them so you get a sweet deal, they might be more receptive to lowering the price. You might save half the cost of the resize.

you can buy a new dolphin (freeflyfriendly) for $1,000. put a couple hundred jumps on it , then buy a nice new rig when you wont beat the shit out of it.

Do tell. I'm at the point that I'm ready to sell my car to get what I need.... a $2,500 budget is very frustrating and renting just seems to smack of stupidity...so does selling my car.[:/]

Is there someone at your home dz who can go through the dz.com ads with you to identify potential second-hand rigs? Someone who accepts your budget that is :ph34r:. No one here can unless they know more -- it's very dependent on body size and weight.

Once you have a few more jumps you'll be surprised at how much more you know, and how much less insurmountable some of this information seems to be. I really mean that.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thank you Wendy. Yes, someone is going to get an earfull this weekend. :ph34r:

In another thread someone mentioned getting a dolphin container and then used main/reserve, etc. This seems like a cheap and quick route...eeek. The idea of building from the container does seem sound.

I think In the time I've spent (not working) doing this research I've leared just enough to annoy the hell out of a rigger this weekend. :)

I'm trying to do as much research online as possible. The DZ is increddibly busy on weekends (I think there was something like 36 or 38 loads last saturday) and I appreciate most of the experienced people there are...on the job.

BTW. I'm 6'00" and 160-165.

Thank you Wendy. Yes, someone is going to get an earfull this weekend. :ph34r:

In another thread someone mentioned getting a dolphin container and then used main/reserve, etc. This seems like a cheap and quick route...eeek. The idea of building from the container does seem sound.

I think In the time I've spent (not working) doing this research I've leared just enough to annoy the hell out of a rigger this weekend. :)

I'm trying to do as much research online as possible. The DZ is increddibly busy on weekends (I think there was something like 36 or 38 loads last saturday) and I appreciate most of the experienced people there are...on the job.

BTW. I'm 6'00" and 160-165.

One thing commonly overlooked by first time gear buyers, is that you can resize a harness.

Ok, before you purchase, you need to know which size main and reserve parachutes are appropriate for you. If you dont know, you need to ask your instructors and figure that out pronto!

Once you have an idea of what size parachutes you want to fly, then you look for a harness and container system. Notice, "harness" and "container" system. You wear the harness part while the container part sits on your back and contains the parachutes (these are 2 seperate pieces, even though they are sewn together to look like 1). Find a container that will fit the size parachutes you want to put in it. If the harness attached to the container happens to fit you, then you scored. If not, then plan to spend around $300 to have it resized to your specific body measurements. The harness is the only part of the equation that is custom tailored to you, so make sure it fits.

Now that you have picked out a harness and container system, then you can pick out parachutes and an AAD to put into the container. When budget is a factor, you cant be picky about colors. Lastly, have all used equipment inspected by your (or a mutual) rigger before shelling out the cash. Often times the rigger can act as escrow for a small price (beer goes a long way).

I'll work with you to help you find some decent gear. At your size, it will be relatively easy. My first rig was an impulse buy that was barely airworthy. There is no reason for you to make that mistake. Don't worry, be happy! See 'ya out there soon!
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Are we at the same DZ? If so, I would like to chat. I will be heading over after work (hope for a hop and pop on the last load) and camping out so I will be there first thing in the AM too.

I'll work with you to help you find some decent gear. At your size, it will be relatively easy. My first rig was an impulse buy that was barely airworthy. There is no reason for you to make that mistake. Don't worry, be happy! See 'ya out there soon!

If not, then plan to spend around $300 to have it resized to your specific body measurements. The harness is the only part of the equation that is custom tailored to you, so make sure it fits.

Isnt the yoke part of the container and not re-sizeable? (atleast without just building a new container?)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message