Zennie

How Many Of You Have ADHD?

Absolutely. I agree, if the child or adult can harness that energy and it doesn't impede them, they don't need medication. I think children are overmedicated for the most part and physicians are too quick to go for the "easy out." Many do, in fact, need medication, however. My wife is the exception. She had ADHD from a young age but learned to deal with her excess energy. She's one of the smartest people I know and is now a very successful practicing OB/GYN physician.

I got it.

not ADHD

But ADD

No hyperactivity

It's always screwed up my life, but I've fought it, and I continue to, and like I try to teach my son, many a wonderful person has had it.

My favorite example was DaVinci. He didn't run from it, he rolled with it big. Sculptor, Inventor, Architect, Painter, etc...etc... He just kind of got it on now didn't he?

peace,

Jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...

I think ADD/ADHD/Adult ADD is a bunch of BS. If I was a kid in today's world then the teachers would have me diagnosed and dosed with so many narcotics I'd be the next Keith Richards.

It's called getting bored, requiring more than normal stimuli, wanting to try everything.

Take any kid with "ADD" and put him in front of Nintendo, he/she will play for hours -- pretty much debunks the whole idea.

ADD became the rave when teachers got fed up and parents won't do their part.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Actually, I was just thinking I must be mildly ADD, and all these indications fit me to a degree.

I've been trying to get my room organized all day, and so far I've managed to get a load of laundry in the washer. 'Course as I'm pinging around, I'm thinking about a billion other little things I want/ need to do, and that adds to the confusion and static in my head.

So I'm posting. :S

My boyfriend is the lucky one - hyper amounts of energy combined with an unreal ability to focus. He gets twice the stuff done in half the time... brings my scatteredness into sharper relief though. [:/]

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

im not diagnosed,and i deny it,but most i know says that i do have it;)

The worst is when i cant get jumps in(like now>:(,2 weeks whith out 1 jump,not even from a plane:P) Then i get iretated(spell?)/easy angry.

Jumping is my medicin;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

My mom said that if she had known what it was when I was little, she would have known that was what was 'wrong' with me. Glad she didn't know. I would have been a drugged out zombie like my poor little nephew, who by the way is NEVER a problem for me, on or off drugs. He has TONS of energy his mom can't (or won't) deal with, so she drugs him. Drugs don't help him concentrate, or he wouldn't be flunking out of high school.
I learned to play a half dozen instruments, graduated a year ahead of my high school class, started college when I was a sophmore in high school, maintained straight A's in both schools at the same time, worked a job, directed a choir. Walked everywhere I went. READ, READ,READ! Talk about books! Encyclopedias, dictionarys, history, math, music, biographies. You name it. Learned to sew, build/repair things. All of that energy can be a GREAT thing, but it has to be channeled. And no, I couldn't focus, I had 10 things going on at once, and I still do.
But then again, that is exactly how Thomas Jefferson, Leonardo DaVinci, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and tons of others got so much done. Thank God their moms hadn't heard of all of those mind numbing drugs...
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Well, count me in! As well as both my children. However, I do believe there is a time and place for all activities. If one can't learn control then medicine can help. the problem is very few take the time to make sure one has the the PROPER dose. And what happens leads to kids who are overdosed or underdosed. My daughter needs medicine and my son doesn't. I don't take any at all. I make all A's without trying and I think as good as most. What makes me ADHD by the world's standard is that I won't be QUIET and STILL just because society dictates me too. And it is the same for my kids. They learn differently. They aren't wrong and they are as smart as any. I fight the school system almost constantly because they say my children are less because of who they are. I am winning the battle for now because I am ADHD and refuse to give in! Just because you are labeled ADHD doesn't change who you are....it just helps in how you learn and react to your world.

Do you think Columbus, Joan of Ark, Napolean, Ben Franklin,etc. were ADHD? The greatest minds of our time would also follow the pattern of ADD/ADHD. I am with these folks...let the world try to stay up with me! :):P
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!

I have adhd. if I were in grade school now I would be on meds... I am so glad that I grew up a few years before ridalin (sp?) became popular.. I could be even more boring!:D

its not really a big deal.. I am lucky I have an understanding wife:)

isn't there too much done with that, kind of fashion with this ritaline and hyperactivity ??
all children should be active, even very active. Hyperactivity is not THAT common. Children develop symptoms of hyperactivity because they lack parent control/kick in the ass.
That's my opinion after seeing so called hyperactive children in my ex girlfriends classroom.

edited for precision : kick in the ass is certainly not the best remedy against all problems. Maybe the parents deserve them. Sorry if some of you might get hurt by what i said. Not making a generality. In the cases I know, the parents needed to be shaken more than the children needed to be calmed down.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I fidget with my hair all the time. I have a hard time sitting still unless I'm totally engrossed in something like a movie. I get bored *really* easily. I have a really bad habit of tuning out in conversations and I lose stuff all the freaking time. I can't remember the last time I finished a book, but I still buy tons of them. You oughta see my "To Read" pile.

Ok...I have to pitch in. Your description soulds like just about every human I know. We all get bored with things, and fidget, and can be totally engrossed when we are interested. That does not make you ADHD.

This is my seventh year of teaching. I have taught over 700 kids. I believe that in those 700 plus children, one has been truly ADD, and two have been truly ADHD.

I am sick of parents medicating their children instead of setting boundaries.

I am sick of adults claiming that they, too, are victims of some terrible disease.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

Harju weighs in with the following---

PLEASE DO NOT GET ME STARTED...>:(
-----------------------------

From The New Hackers' Dictionary--

Hackers have relatively little ability to identify emotionally with other people. This may be because hackers generally aren't much like ‘other people’. Unsurprisingly, hackers also tend towards self-absorption, intellectual arrogance, and impatience with people and tasks perceived to be wasting their time....

"1994-95's fad behavioral disease was a syndrome called Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), supposedly characterized by (among other things) a combination of short attention span with an ability to ‘hyperfocus’ imaginatively on interesting tasks. In 1998-1999 another syndrome that is said to overlap with many hacker traits entered popular awareness: Asperger's syndrome (AS). This disorder is also sometimes called ‘high-function autism’, though researchers are divided on whether AS is in fact a mild form of autism or a distinct syndrome with a different etiology. AS patients exhibit mild to severe deficits in interpreting facial and body-language cues and in modeling or empathizing with others' emotions. Though some AS patients exhibit mild retardation, others compensate for their deficits with high intelligence and analytical ability, and frequently seek out technical fields where problem-solving abilities are at a premium and people skills are relatively unimportant. Both syndromes are thought to relate to abnormalities in neurotransmitter chemistry, especially the brain's processing of serotonin.

Many hackers have noticed that mainstream culture has shown a tendency to pathologize and medicalize normal variations in personality, especially those variations that make life more complicated for authority figures and conformists. Thus, hackers aware of the issue tend to be among those questioning whether ADD and AS actually exist; and if so whether they are really ‘diseases’ rather than extremes of a normal genetic variation like having freckles or being able to taste DPT. In either case, they have a sneaking tendency to wonder if these syndromes are over-diagnosed and over-treated. After all, people in authority will always be inconvenienced by schoolchildren or workers or citizens who are prickly, intelligent individualists — thus, any social system that depends on authority relationships will tend to helpfully ostracize and therapize and drug such ‘abnormal’ people until they are properly docile and stupid and ‘well-socialized’.>:(

So hackers tend to believe they have good reason for skepticism about clinical explanations of the hacker personality. That being said, most would also concede that some hacker traits coincide with indicators for non-hyperactive ADD and AS — the status of caffeine as a hacker beverage of choice may be connected to the fact that it bonds to the same neural receptors as Ritalin, the drug most commonly prescribed for ADD. It is probably true that boosters of both would find a rather higher rate of clinical ADD among hackers than the supposedly mainstream-normal 3-5% (AS is rarer at 0.4-0.5%)."

All emphasis is mine

In other words - "OH holy shit - there's a kid in class who is questioning the purpose of all this silly crap we're making him learn - DOPE HIM, FAST!"

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I think ADD/ADHD/Adult ADD is a bunch of BS.

In point of fact, you are wrong.

In point of what fact?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!