gary350

Bush Markets Burmese Products; Evades Own Trade Ban

More "honor and dignity" coming from our mis-leader. . .

http://www.misleader.org/daily_mislead/Read.asp?fn=df03192004.html

March 19, 2004 | Daily Mislead Archive

According to a new report, President Bush's official campaign is selling clothing made in Burma - a country whose goods Bush banned for sale in the U.S. because of their awful human rights, narcotics and sex trafficking record. According to Newsday, "the merchandise sold on www.georgewbushstore.com includes a $49.95 fleece pullover, embroidered with the Bush-Cheney '04 logo and bearing a label stating it was made in Burma, now Myanmar."1

The decision by the president's campaign to defy its own embargo directly contradicts the president's pledge to enforce existing trade laws. Just this week the president said Americans need to be "treated fairly" and pledged to "make sure the playing field is level" on trade.2 But his decision to market Burmese textile products evades laws that prevent American workers from having to compete with Burmese workers who have no minimum wage, human rights or labor protections. Since Bush was elected, thousands of textile jobs have been lost -- particularly in the South - and many have questioned whether the Administration is adequately enforcing trade laws.3

On top of evading his own trade laws, the president's effective endorsement of Burmese goods means his campaign is marketing products from a country the State Department has repeatedly condemned for human rights abuses4 and that the Treasury Department has cited for laundering money from illegal narcotics dealers5. Just last year, the president told the United Nations it needed to more seriously address international sex slavery, saying, "there's a special evil in the abuse and exploitation of the most innocent and vulnerable."6 But his own campaign is now marketing products from a country that experts cite as one of the leaders in international sex trafficking.7

Sources:
1 "Bush campaign gear made in Burma", Newsday, 03/18/2004.
2 "President Discusses Health Access", 03/16/2004.
3 "4,000 textile jobs lost in 2003", Charleston Post and Courier, 01/14/2004.
4 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices: Burma, US Department of State, 02/25/2004.
5 States News Service, 03/04/2004.
6 "President Bush Addresses United Nations General Assembly", 09/23/2003.
7 "Factbook on Global Sexual Exploitation: Burma/Myanmar".

Damn, I wanted to post this!
Too bad none of our vocal friends for the right have replied yet. But I get the feeling that there will be alot more dirt in the coming months, because nothing is dirtier then a republican running scared.

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

Not defending. From Drudge Report LETTER TO CAMPAIGN FROM MERCHANDISE SUPPLIER
Fri Mar 19 2004 13:26:53 ET

Mr. Tom Josefiak
General Counsel
Bush Cheney '04 Inc.

Dear Mr. Josefiak:

I am writing to apologize and accept responsibility for the recent distribution of foreign goods in our Bush Cheney '04 merchandise program. We take great pride in providing this service to your campaign, and at your request have worked with our vendors to distribute goods that have been made in America.

Unfortunately, in one of our recent shipments, a vendor inadvertently supplied us with foreign goods, and our own company did not discover this mistake before distribution to the public. The purchase orders for these items included a statement specifying "Made in USA products." (See attached document). We received an acknowledgement from our supplier substantiating that it was their factory mistake. (See attached document).

We have already reviewed our entire stock of items and have pulled from inventory all foreign products. Of the 60 fleece jackets in stock, only two were from Burma. According to best estimates by our supplier, less than a total of ten items from Burma were shipped to the public. We have taken corrective action to assure this will never happen again. We are a small company employing 40 workers and take pride in the professional services provided by our hard-working American families.

Please accept my sincere apologies for this error and let me assure you that all necessary steps have been taken to guarantee that all future shipments will contain only American made products.

Sincerely,

Ted Jackson
President, Spalding Group
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Some low level functionary made a mistake.

You recognize that this is no big deal. However, look at how far some people went to turn it into a big deal. It goes to show the extremes to which some people will stretch the truth in order to bash Bush. Such things don't do much to help the credibility of the anti-Bush crowd.

You recognize that this is no big deal. However, look at how far some people went to turn it into a big deal. It goes to show the extremes to which some people will stretch the truth in order to bash Bush. Such things don't do much to help the credibility of the anti-Bush crowd.

Do you think the anti-Kerry emails (going on about Heinz' overseas operations and Kerry's medals) that being circulated are any better?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Do you think the anti-Kerry emails (going on about Heinz' overseas operations and Kerry's medals) that being circulated are any better?

The age old, two wrongs make a right defense.

never pull low......unless you are

Too bad none of our vocal friends for the right have replied yet. But I get the feeling that there will be alot more dirt in the coming months, because nothing is dirtier then a republican running scared.

I'd say this is dirtier. Doesn't it just make you beam with pride?

The age old, two wrongs make a right defense.

You're not paying attention again! I didn't defend it, I said it was nonsense.

I'd say this is dirtier. Doesn't it just make you beam with pride?

Assuming they're not photoshopped, the handwriting looks like it was done by morons.

Gravitymaster. please tell me those are photoshop'd or something. If those are real... well hell. Ill hold a fund raiser to pay the moving costs to move them to whichever third world hell they'd like to live in.

Gravitymaster. please tell me those are photoshop'd or something. If those are real... well hell. Ill hold a fund raiser to pay the moving costs to move them to whichever third world hell they'd like to live in.

Not photoshopped. These were taken at a San Francisco anti-war rally. This demonstrates how low some elements of the Left have sunk. Not something I'd be proud to associate myself with.