skydiverkeith

Most reliable main...

What main skydiving canopy, in your opinion, is the least likely to malfunction?

Rectangular F111 seven cell. These days that means classic accuracy and demo parachutes like the Parafoil.

Tapered designs are more likely to spin-up and ZP moves around more when being packed.

A docile 7cell (triathlon, spectre).

+1, I have over 1000 Triathlon jumps, and only one malfunction (tension knot and line twists) from packing too fast and carelessly around my 400th jump (overall).
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've got 3000 jumps on a Stiletto 107 (actually two of them) with no malfunctions. ZP and eliptical.

Really though, that was the result of good maintenence and good packing. In general, F-111 seven cell (like a reserve) would be the most reliable. In ZP terms, a conservative 7 cell like a Spectre, but even then the packing and maintenence are key.

Least reliable? The Pintail, hands down.

What main skydiving canopy, in your opinion, is the least likely to malfunction?

A round main.:)

With the anti-inversion netting.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

...but rather with who's packing it, how they're doing it, their body position on deployment, and how much care they take of their equipment.

So you think the packers bodyposition on your deployment could make it unreliable.
Or how the packer takes care of their pullup cords.

I dont think i have heard that one before.

...but rather with who's packing it, how they're doing it, their body position on deployment, and how much care they take of their equipment.

So you think the packers bodyposition on your deployment could make it unreliable.
Or how the packer takes care of their pullup cords.

I dont think i have heard that one before.

My packer should be ready to pack my rig the instant I land, which means they should be on their knees, the moment I deploy, ready to pick up my main!

If they're not, I shout at them, so they pack badly for me! Hence... this argument is ridiculous.

I'm going to stop there and concede I wrote that badly :P Its the jumper's body position that makes the difference :D

I do condone the ironing of pullup cords though. You extend their useable life massively! Also wash them if they smell, or look dirty. Just don't tumble dry them, as they get frayed. :P

I presume you are kidding.

Just to be clear for all readers... Rounds are NOT more reliable than RAM air canopies. Dan Poynter wrote in The Parachute Manual Vol II:

"The main problem with round canopies is reliability. Rounds malfunction a very high percentage of the time." (section 6.25, page 235)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Strato flyer, original test platform for square reserves. Para Flite wouldn't put the first ever ram air reserve into production until it had hundreds of thousands of "test jumps" done on it. Oh yeah the nickname for the Flyer was the "nylon hammer" didn't flare too well.

Mick.

A static line direct bag round with the apex tied with break cord will open every time.

The chance for a malfunction is about as close to zero as you could possibly get.

Add some anti-inversion netting and you have about the most fool -proof system ever made.

The Forest Serice smokejumpers have been using this since the 40's for a reason, it works every time.
Onward and Upward!

[reply
"The main problem with round canopies is reliability. Rounds malfunction a very high percentage of the time." (section 6.25, page 235)

This is not correct

Wait a minute! Poynter says it, it must be true!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

While the OP was probably just thinking about typical mains you buy, as for rounds:

Remember that Poynter was talking about "malfunctions" on rounds including temporary partial inversions.

From a jumper point of view, there may be no mal at all. From an engineering point of view, it is not a properly controlled opening. And as speeds increase, damage to the canopy is more likely to occur.

I'm also not sure to what degree Poynter was taking into account diapers, so at least the skirt starts out more aligned than for canopy-first deployment, which should reduce but not eliminate uneven inflation at the skirt.

This doesn't solve the round vs square reliability debate but I think it isn't quite as dire for rounds as first presented.

I think I'll start a thread in Gear & Rigging on round openings, particularly on experiences with round reserves in the old days.

[reply

This is not correct

Wait a minute! Poynter says it, it must be true!

This is sort of like arguing over the command qualities of Napoleon vs. Patton, but:

The mil-surp "cheapo" rounds that were jumped in the 60s & 70s were very reliable. And FWIW, packing them was a cinch (esp. w/a girl in a tube top holding tension. But I digress.). The fewer modifications, the more reliable. Reefed (staged?) with a bag or a sleeve, more reliable than un-reefed/un-staged.

That's why even after PC-class "hi-performance" rounds had been around for a good while (like mid-late 70s) the culture was to keep new freefall students on cheapos because they were so unlikely to mal even in the most wildly unstable deployments. (I tested that very theory myself on at least a dozen jumps. Proved it to be spot-on. ;)) That and the fact that DZOs could pick up a gaggle of jumpable mil-surp stuff for a song, but whatever.

The higher performance PC-class canopies, with lots of mods, stabilizers, crown lines, etc. were more highly engineered, thus they had more potential failure points, thus they needed more care when packing, and were more sensitive to an unstable deployment than cheapos were, thus they did have a higher malfunction rate than cheapos jumped under equivalent conditions.

So there were rounds, and there were rounds.

I don't think its so much to do with the canopy, but rather with who's packing it, how they're doing it, their body position on deployment, and how much care they take of their equipment.

Sorry, did I open a tin of worms?

:P

No just a can. :P

what do you know with your 75 tandems anyway!? :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

First i cant believe that people actually started naming canopies as if there is one canopy above all else!! Ridiculous.

The one canopy that has the least amount of cutaway potential is any canopy that is cared for, packed properly, and opens over the back of someone in good body position.

Pack neat, be stable when deploying, and you'll have long long cutaway free streaks.

I mean, for someone to actually be ableto claim that one canopy will not mal up as much as the next is just ridic.

..................................................................................

Maybe a netted T-10, with its original MIL-SPEC direct bag, static-line etc., but all modern ram-air canopies are more reliable than rounds.
I only have 1.5 jumps on Para-Commander-like canopies. Their complex stabilizers required precise folding to avoid tangles, which is why Para-Commanders and early squares were never terribly reliable.

Hint: I suffered 3 malfunctions during 70 jumps with round mains (C-8, C-9, T-10, CT-1, MFP, etc.).
I only made 1.5 jumps on Para-Commander-like canopies. Thier complex stabilizers required precise folding or they tangled. Which is why Para-Commanders and first-generation squares suffered the worst malfunction rate of any canopies.

In comparison, I suffered 4 malfunctions during 2,000 jumps on sport square canopies. The first malfunction was caused by a rigging error with the main container, so the main canopy never had a chance to "do its stuff." My second malfunction involved a novel packing method. My last two of malfunctions were under tiny sport canopies with reputations for "spinning up."

So if chose a medium-sized sport main - and maintain it well - your chance of malfunctions is tiny.