fluidynamic

Patches

The iron on glue won't hold in freefall.

But it is a nice way to hold them in place when you sew them on. Hot glue works nice too.

Ask your local rigger. Or your mom, if she sews.

5 minutes with a machine and they won't go anywhere.
Don't plan on putting them on a sleeve or leg unless you are willing to have the arm or leg unstitched to attach the patch and then re-stitched (not recommended).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I want to put them on the upper part of the arm, near the shoulder. My mom lives on the other side of the country, she told me I may need to use a special kind of thread...

I'm hesitant to use the glue cause I don't want to make the patches permanent, incase I want to sell the suit later
Don't worry... I'll stay out of the incident reports

It's not load bearing, so the thread isn't that big of a deal.

You don't have to use the glue, It just holds it in place while the patch gets sewn on.

The big problem for placement is whether or not you can get the area for the patch to lie flat with no other fabric behind it (that's why sleeves are so hard).
A shoulder should be doable. You just have to be able to get at the back of the area easily.

Anyone with a sewing machine and a bit of skill can do it for you. A rigger is an obvious solution, but any tailor shop can do it.
It shouldn't cost much.

Your profile says you are in Deland. I'm sure there's at least one or two people who know how to run a sewing machine around there.:)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I want to put them on the upper part of the arm, near the shoulder. My mom lives on the other side of the country, she told me I may need to use a special kind of thread...

I'm hesitant to use the glue cause I don't want to make the patches permanent, incase I want to sell the suit later

Take it to any of the sewing shops outside of a military base (as it looks like you're probably putting military patches on it anyways).

They have done this alot (not so much since the Army got ACU's) but they still do the occasional one.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I know this is going to sound old fashioned but you could always sew them on by hand yourself, it really isn't that hard, just take your time. Just saying.:)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yea I think I'll go for the by hand ideal on the first go around... if it's a disaster then I'll try and get some more help. I'm sort a lil hesitant about letting whuffos touch my suit haha

Especially after Julio was all like, "don't ever wash it man!" This thing is sacred...
Don't worry... I'll stay out of the incident reports

Right on, how about with putting patches on your rig? I can see how it might be dangerous to put them in certain areas... has anyone ever done that?

I would think a rigger could give you good information on where you could put patches and such...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Right on, how about with putting patches on your rig? I can see how it might be dangerous to put them in certain areas... has anyone ever done that?

Patches are great for jumpsuits. Putting them on containers could be considered modifications, which could be issues for any riggers who pack it in the future. Also, one day you'll probably sell your container and the new owner probably won't want the patches. Then if you remove them, the fabric will be a different color where the patches used to be. Better to put those patches on suits.

It's not load bearing, so the thread isn't that big of a deal.

You don't have to use the glue, It just holds it in place while the patch gets sewn on.

The big problem for placement is whether or not you can get the area for the patch to lie flat with no other fabric behind it (that's why sleeves are so hard).
A shoulder should be doable. You just have to be able to get at the back of the area easily.

Anyone with a sewing machine and a bit of skill can do it for you. A rigger is an obvious solution, but any tailor shop can do it.
It shouldn't cost much.

Your profile says you are in Deland. I'm sure there's at least one or two people who know how to run a sewing machine around there.:)

Use a domestic "free arm" machine for the arms and legs. Use a nylon thread bonded 69 or somthing similar. You will also need a slightly bigger guage needle, happy sewing.

Mick.