kellja2001

Size of Reserve Canopy (Not the question you're expecting)

Ok, so until 30 minutes ago, I was under the impression my main is a 220, and my reserve a 218.

I've just heard someone say that my reserve is actually a 235 (not that I'm complaining, I'll take the extra square foot any day of the week!).

Does anyone know how I can work this out?

The canopy is a Raven III reserve, DOM 1994.

It doesn't say on the warning label, or on the branding on the stabilizers.

I'd rather not wait until my next Repack is due if at all possible!

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers guys ;)

J

The Raven III Reserve has 249 sqft (according to PIA measurement 232-242 sqft, because they use a slightly different measurement technique). You won't find the size on any lable, but you can find it in the Dan Poynter's Book.
The manufacturer decided to give the different sizes different names (Raven I - IV). The Raven I is the smallest one (181 sqft) and the Raven IV is the largest (282 sqft).

www.wingsuit.de

The classic sizes listed for the Ravens are 181, 218, 249, and 282, for the I, II, III, IV.

With your posting that it could be 218 and it could be a Raven III, either one or the other might be correct.

If the name/model of the canopy is correct, the size would classically be 249.

If the 218 size is correct, that would be a Raven II.

Is the packing data card not clear?

Ok, so until 30 minutes ago, I was under the impression my main is a 220, and my reserve a 218.

I've just heard someone say that my reserve is actually a 235 (not that I'm complaining, I'll take the extra square foot any day of the week!).

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers guys ;)

J

What difference would take make?

What difference would take make?

I like to know the kit I'm jumping (and I thought I did, but clearly I didn't :S) and if someone asks me, I want to be able to confidently tell them what it is.

The classic sizes listed for the Ravens are 181, 218, 249, and 282, for the I, II, III, IV.

With your posting that it could be 218 and it could be a Raven III, either one or the other might be correct.

If the name/model of the canopy is correct, the size would classically be 249.

If the 218 size is correct, that would be a Raven II.

Aha! Cheers! Its definitely a Raven 3 (I remember from when it was packed), so its a 249 then! Thanks!

Is the packing data card not clear?

No. Not at all, given as the original was thrown away or lost, or something like that, and the new one (~10 months old) only lists it as a "Raven III" and the serial number...

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers guys ;)

J

As I understand it, Precision used to measure their canopies differently so they could claim a pack volume to canopy size ratio advantage. Not sure if that's still the case, but it was when I had a pair of Raven III's in my first rig.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX