npgraphicdesign

Wings owners, lend me your ears and opinions.

How can you be "forrced to jump" without checking your gear ? >:(

I appreciate the sentiment, but with the cordura BOC, we are talking about unpacking the pilot chute in order to make sure it's not packed with the bulk in the wrong place. On a tight back-to-back, which some of us shockingly find ourselves doing, you would have to agree that it's not realistic.

Why use gear where that's even possible?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I appreciate the sentiment, but with the cordura BOC, we are talking about unpacking the pilot chute in order to make sure it's not packed with the bulk in the wrong place.

I've had my Wings since 2002, put around 1500 jumps on it and have never had an issue. It has the cordura BOC and the FF handle. Its not like the old style flat cordura BOC pouches, it has space and elastic in the mouth.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You will like the freefly pud on your PC. It feels very secure, and it is easy to grab as well. I don't know about the space foam, but I got the diamond patterned textured finish, and it feels good. Stainless seems like a waste, I got just the standard articulated harness and it is great.
Something you should think about, is specifying extra wide leg straps. Someone told me to order them, and I am glad I did, they are quite comfortable.
I would try on a rig with and without laterals, see how you like them. Also, the Vision container is suppose to be for big guys with small containers right? Or is it just the different colored one? I forget. Regardless, I am sure you will like your wings, they are great!

ryanl2006

Ha! Sure did, He did a great job selling it to me as it was the first rig I purchased. He is local to me so got to try it on and compare it to other rigs he had on hand and it was a perfect fit! Its got a Pilot 168/Smart 160 whole setup and had like 150 jumps on it.. Old packing card was from out west either New Mexico or Arizona one of the two. Still have it somewhere I think.

If it was yours, thank you for taking such immaculate care of it! People are always asking if I got it new. And those riser tabs rock! Great for stowing the slider and getting those risers further apart :)

npgraphicdesign

One mod that I had added after the fact that I forgot to mention is the leg strap bungee. Made a big difference in the feel down south on the way to altitude. Not only is my waist skinny, but I have twig-like legs too (Im a programmer/designer give me a break ;)). On the way up depending on my sitting position I would be tugging my leg straps back up occasionally, so I didn't fell comfortable free-flying until I got the bungee. Its a really simple mod and only cost me around the $15 mark, well worth it.

The type of articulation ring that Wings uses (the full circle ring) seems to let the leg straps achieve slightly more rotational motion than the articulation on say a Javelin (downward facing "D" Ring, Wings however lacks the chest articulation). It is very comfortable with articulation and I believe it puts less stress on your MLW due to no twisting or kinking when you move. I would recommend it from my limited experience.
www.apt3studios.com
www.musicpromotiononline.com
www.internetcafegaming.com
D.S. # 4321

stainless is a must in florida

spacer foam is an expensive gimmick IMHO

cut in laterals are a personal opinion. if you plan on wingsuiting with this rig in the future i would pass, seems to bunch up the suit on your back (do a search on cut in lats for wingsuiting)

cpc definatly

wings is a really comfortable rig to begin with, so you cant really go wrong, and remember that any options will only help the resale value
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Hi

I have 1500-2000 jumps on Cordura BOC's on the WIngs. In that time I have had one hard pull which I got on the second attempt.

During the last 5 years as a rigger I have seen at least half a dozen hard pulls on Spandex BOC's leading to a reserve ride.

It can happen on any system
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I have a wings are here are my thoughts:

RSL- good for lower jump #'s, but if you plan on jumping camera down the road your just going to disconnect it anway. It's a cheap enough option to get and can be used as a selling point if you ever sell the rig.

Hackey- Get a PUD handle. If your getting into freeflying, the PUD handle is tight and never moves. You can still get this with a throw out PC, just with the PUD handle. Plus alot of other freefliers with hackys are jealous of the tight, clean looking PUD. And looking good is the first priority, right?

Hope this helps..

not to debate here but why not just get the RSL and disconnect if needed (sidenote I just camera for a living and still use an RSL)

As for the PUD handle thats just a matter of feel, If the pilot chute is packed right the hackey won't move at all. If you are really that concerned about your PC why not just get the cordura pouch on the BOC instead of spandex. I've had that on my wings and have never had an issue with the PC coming loose.

The only thing that I insist on Wings containers (and I insist because this has been missed by my rigger on 2 containers - mine and a friend of mine) is to make sure that the cutaway cable goes through the riser hard hosing. On wings, the riser hard hosing are cover with a piece of fabric that doesn't have a hole in it. More than this, the cutaway cable can be perfectly routed outside the hosing and it looks alright. Your rigger needs to make the hole in the piece of fabric that covers the hosing.

In both cases this was new ordered wings.
I don't have cut in laterals and I can free fly fine (back and sit).
Chuting star recommended me a low po pilot suit.
Don't get spandex BOC.
Get the free fly handle.
Get the small profile reserve handle.
I have a reserve to sell ;)
Also if you want to order from chutingstar then know that I was more than happy with their service and advices!

Why no spandex BOC?

Never mind I read the other posts. Sorry but I would rather have spandex.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Feeding the troll here, but what do you think is better with the infinity?

No exposed reserve pilot chute, Better riser protecton, wider leg straps, better customer service. and all around more comfortable. Plus If you compare the options of an infinity to any other manufacture the infinity will be cheaper.

I have also heard lately that wings have a tendency to have hard pulls if you dont beat the hell out of the BOC

Feeding the troll here, but what do you think is better with the infinity?

No exposed reserve pilot chute, Better riser protecton, wider leg straps, better customer service. and all around more comfortable. Plus If you compare the options of an infinity to any other manufacture the infinity will be cheaper.

I have also heard lately that wings have a tendency to have hard pulls if you dont beat the hell out of the BOC

Some see the wings having the partially exposed reserve PC as being a good thing (less flaps between the PC and air) giving it a cleaner and better launch.

Hard pulls can be done on any rig, depends how you pack the PC.

I had an instructor pack the student gear on one of my jumps (was learning how to pack and he showed me his way) Had a HARD pull, but still got it out. Never had that issue packing the PC my way before, or after that.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Man those are some harsh words for a guy asking about options, with his mind already set on buying a wings. The pop top reserve is just an aesthetics issue, and considering the recent threads concerning reserve PCs being stuck, the pop top seems to be a better option. Riser protection on the wings are fine, I have never heard about problems with them. When you order a wings, you can specify wider leg straps (this is what did) and they are great. (free upgrade too btw). Customer service from Wings is excellent, no complaints, and as far as comfort goes, I am very happy with my rig. Not trying to knock infinity, but most of the things you stated are just personal opinions, not facts.

Just thought I'd say this is a great thread. Love to hear all the different opinions on the Wings container.

I wish it had a skyhook option but an RSL is fine. Maybe by the time I can actually buy this rig, it will have the skyhook option.
I was gonna go with the hacky but will opt for the FF pud after reading this thread. Also gonna pass on the spacer foam but may get the wider leg straps. I like the all SS hardware, the cut-in lats, CPC and hook knife option.
Prolly put a PDR 170 in it and a Cypress.
The only real question is what main? Possibly a Silhouette 170??? Only time will tell.

The only real question is what main? Possibly a Silhouette 170??? Only time will tell.

500+ jumps and a 170 Silhouette?

You should be soon aiming at xbraces at this time or at least a decent eliptical like Crossfire2 or Katana..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

500+ jumps and a 170 Silhouette?

You should be soon aiming at xbraces at this time or at least a decent eliptical like Crossfire2 or Katana..

Nah. I have an interest in wingsuit flying. As I understand it, elipticals are not recommended for that. Besides, I've been out of the sport for 20 years. I don't really have a interest in swooping anyway. For me, the primary purpose of a parachute is to set you down on the ground SOFTLY so you can go up and make another skydive! B|

I think you can do without the cut in laterals. Someone else made the comment that it is more applicable/worthwhile for really tiny rigs on larger people. I can't confirm that,

I've always thought the opposite was true. On a rig larger than your hips/back, the laterals and backpad make a 'corner' and there's nothing touching your body in that corner. The cut in laterals lets the harness stay close to your body, and the rig hang out where it needs to.

If your rig is smaller than your hips/back, the laterals have to wrap around your hips to get to the backpad, so there's no 'corner', and no place where the rig or harness is not in contact with your body.

The cut in laterals make a HUGE difference. Mine were originally too long and had to have them sent back to wings to get taken in a inch, so essentially it was like jumping without them at first. After I got them taken in-- WOW! What a difference. That rig doesn't go anywhere and it fits my body curves/back like a glove. I also have the back padding and spacer foam and that was also worth every penny. The stainless-- meh, I have it but I could do without it honestly.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Nah. I have an interest in wingsuit flying. As I understand it, elipticals are not recommended for that. Besides, I've been out of the sport for 20 years. I don't really have a interest in swooping anyway. For me, the primary purpose of a parachute is to set you down on the ground SOFTLY so you can go up and make another skydive! B|

Fair enough.
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

I was gonna go with the hacky but will opt for the FF pud after reading this thread

I would test jump a FF pud first if you can, see if you really like it. Some people get used to the hackey and then switch to the FF pud and end up going back to the hackey.

Also, get some opinions on a FF pud vs. a hackey for wingsuiting, if that is your goal. I use a hackey and haven't tried a pud myself.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I'll do that. Thanks.

When I first saw BOC puds in '89 I didn't like 'em. I prefered the stock orange plastic handle merely because it feels different than the rest of the rig. A cordura pud can feel just like the corner of the container. It just didn't appeal to me.
BUT, it's been so long that I may as well get used to the preferred configuration for both FF and wingsuit flying, which it seems is the BOC pud. That said, IF the hacky doesn't move, I don't see the big deal. I like the round shape of a hacky better. Again, it feels different.

Plenty of FFer's out there jumping hackey's. I doubt there are that many cases where a hackey has been a problem. I do now recall there being a few incidences of a hackey causing a PC malfunction while wingsuiting, supposedly having to do with the heavier weight of the hackey vs. other methods.

Maybe the old "tube" would be a good option. Do some searching in the forums for it. Also a longer bridal is recommended (but not required) for WS jumps. The standard seems to be 9ft. There are many threads on that as well.

In the end, stow your PC properly, check it often, and make sure whatever your PC BOC stowing method is, it's in good repair will help you the most.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I've always thought the opposite was true. On a rig larger than your hips/back, the laterals and backpad make a 'corner' and there's nothing touching your body in that corner. The cut in laterals lets the harness stay close to your body, and the rig hang out where it needs to.

If your rig is smaller than your hips/back, the laterals have to wrap around your hips to get to the backpad, so there's no 'corner', and no place where the rig or harness is not in contact with your body.

This is absolutely accurate. My Wings EXT containers are both tiny W-1 size. One has cut-in laterals and the other does not. As the rig is much narrower than my hips, the cut-ins are not needed at all. Also, you really don't want cut-ins on a wingsuit rig (unless it's very large) since the laterals will fit better through the side rigging of your wingsuit without them.

Conversely, my Wings student rig is big enough for a 240 main. It has both cut-in and adjustable laterals since the rig is definitely wider than almost anyone wearing it.

I have spacer foam on my wingsuit rig and the "regular" padded backpad on my AFF/swoop rig. The spacer foam rig sits a bit farther off of my back, but does not bug me. I just have the padded backpad on my student rig.

I have stainless hardware on all three of my Wings containers.

Chuck