kansasskydiver

Some guy jumped outta a plane without a chute from my city airport?!?

"The lastest is that he was flying with his father and I think both were pilots. The guy who got out of the plane may have actually been the pilot in command.

Not to be morbid but the sheriff's deputy said that the body was found 30 ft from a 3 ft deep crater. This is pretty sad."
------------------------------------------------------------
Here is another article on this story. Turns out, i know a guy that flies this airplane. This was posted at another website I am on:

"This all happened from the plane I fly!!!

Here's an article from the local newspaper....

Published March 23, 2004
Man dies in jump from KSU Flying Club plane

A Manhattan man died Monday afternoon by jumping without a parachute from a plane flown by his father.

The body of Scott Marshall, 31, Manhattan, was found in a field in rural Geary County, 10 miles southeast of Junction City, according to the Geary County Sheriff's Department.

Authorities said they believed the plane was flown by the victim's father, Dr.Ron Marshall of Manhattan. The pilot reported the incident shortly after 2 p.m. Monday.

"Apparently the young man just jumped, and that's all we know at this time," Geary County Sheriff Jim Jensen said.

RCPD Lt. Kurt Moldrup said Marshall jumped out of the plane as it was flying at about 2,500 feet seven miles south of the Manhattan Regional Airport in an apparent effort to commit suicide.

The AP reported this morning that there were three people in the plane, which it said was flying into Manhattan from Texas.

An airplane technician at the airport said the plane belonged to the Kansas State University Flying Club, which is open to all K-State students and Alumni Association members.

Officers from the Geary County Sheriff's Department, Kansas Highway Patrol and Riley County Fire Department responded to the area south of I-70 to begin the search process Monday afternoon after receiving an emergency call from Riley County about the incident. Authorities found the body at about 4:30 p.m. with the use of a KHP helicopter, Jensen said.

An autopsy was scheduled for today and the investigation into the matter continues"
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

That happened around Houston about a year ago, it really really really emotionally fucked up the pilot. Enough that he doesn't fly anymore and he threw away a career flying for Southwest!

You know, that would not bother me at all. Is that fucked up? You steal computers from NASA, you jump out of a plane and kill yourself......no big deal! But, I bet he thought to himself he made a huge mistake shortly after exit!!!!!!!!:D:D:P:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

A pilot committed suicide here in Houston about, oh, eight years ago, near a small grass strip called Harbican Field. There was a small Cessna DZ there.

Where is Harbican field?

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

What the heck would make anyone do a thing like that

Alcohol?

Well I should probably stop drinking then!

I have been pretty drunk more than a few times in my life, but never had the urge to jump out of a plane without a rig on.

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

There's a book called Bravo Two Zero by a former SAS operative....I think his name was Andy Mcnab, anyway, the book details the SAS's role in DS1. Apparently the guy had a lot going on in his head and after he wrote the book he decided to make an ipromtu exit from an airborne aircraft. The sadest part is his girlfriend was flying. If I remember correctly they were both jumpers and were returning from a boogie, too.

A pilot committed suicide here in Houston about, oh, eight years ago, near a small grass strip called Harbican Field. There was a small Cessna DZ there.

Where is Harbican field?

It's about 10 miles southeast of Skydive Houston. It used to be a crop-duster field, with two hangers, which serviced the rice fields all over the area. It has now been purchased by a guy with an acrobatic plane, who does his flying out of there.