Dave1216

Bought Rig From Ebay. Rip Off!?!? Robin Lau, NY

Hi,

Bought this rig from eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3662925977. I have had one email asking for address, then I paid via PayPal. The auction finished 26th Feb. I have emailed constantly. I have tried phoning him but he’s always ‘out’.

I am hoping that somebody knows Robin Lau, who i believe is also a 'medic' in NY.

Any help appreciated! :P

three options

a) he's pissed it went sooo cheap - thats a good price. Maybe he'll send it begrudginly, maybe he'll try to back out and refund you.

b) his "family emergency" genuinly is taking up a lot of his time and he'll get to you

c) you just got fucked.

Check with the manufacturers - if he is the owner and bought new they may be nice and help you trace him (although they probably shouldnt).

Fast response! I appreciated the help. I have just emailed PD pleading with them to confirm so details, great idea Tonto!

mr2mk1g, cheers for the details. I have his phone number, which is similar (second line?). I can't really call at the moment as it's around 6:00 AM (especially, if it's the wrong guy).

Any help appreciated! :P

He's being sued in NYS.

Look at his feedback http://cgi2.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=crazynycmedic

This don't look good!

I dont' think its him being sued, I think its the guy who left a comment?

This Guy is a Joke... Sent Refund over a month ago !! Seller sportsagents(private)
no longer a registered user 29-Feb-04 19:12 2210048191

Reply by crazynycmedic: Ref. $500 of $3600, is not a refund! Currently Being Sued in NYS..go ask him

Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

Did you get the Buyer Protection or whatever they call it at PayPal?

After looking at this guys feedback and seeing that he is no longer a registered user you may be screwed. His proportion of negative to positive feedback (25%) and low rating in the first place would have prevented me from bidding.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Cool, his feedback wasn't as bad as that when i bid. When i bid, the only neg's he had was when he was buying stuff.

I have his phone number, but when i phone he's "out" or straight to the answerphone.

Is it possible to do reverse searches from phone numbers in the US. Ie, get his address from his phone number?

Cheers again all!

Go to Paypal and register a complaint. There are a couple of different avenues. Did you pay via a credit card or by having Paypal take the money out of your account? You may be able to take action through your cc company. Good luck.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I don't think he is being sued, that was a reply to the negative feedback he received from "sportsagents"
Edit: Ripple beat me to it:D

:P

BTW, it says he's not a registered user of Ebay, anymore. Does that have any impact?
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

I use Ebay a LOT...probably a bit more than I should. :$ I'm both a buyer and a seller so I've been screwed both ways...lucky me!

You can look up his personal info that he used when he registered with Ebay by clicking on the link in the Winning Bidder email you got. Do that first! CALL him! The "family emergency" may be valid but keep calling till you get him. Both Ebay and Paypal want you to try to contact each other and work things out yourselves before they have to step in so get moving! If you can't get in touch with this guy in the next couple of days, file your complaints with both Ebay and Paypal. You have limited time to do both, 30 days and you're getting close. Since he is no longer a registered user I don't think you can even leave negative feedback for him.

Whatever you decide to do, do it NOW! The sooner you start bugging all of these people and the more you do it, the better your chances of getting your $ back. Don't just send emails either...they aren't very good at answering.
Use Ebay's Live Help
Paypal Complaints

Oh and he is not being sued, the seller he bought from is. Also, the tracking # he provided for his buyer is not "in the system".

My rule...don't buy from anyone with less than 98% positive feedback.

Feel free to PM or email me! GOOD LUCK!!

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!

It's so important, I started a new thread, but will repeat here:

Sorry, but I think sending more than $50 or $100 to "someone on the internet" is just plain stupid. There is a very simple and effective way to protect both buyer and seller, for a reasonable fee, $47 on a $1,500 transaction (more if by credit card):
http://www.escrow.com/solutions/escrow/process.asp

Sorry, but I think sending more than $50 or $100 to "someone on the internet" is just plain stupid. There is a very simple and effective way to protect both buyer and seller, for a reasonable fee, $47 on a $1,500 transaction (more if by credit card)

Here is something I did on a deal that sounded too good to be true on a telescope. I called "Mailboxes" in that town, made arrangements with them to pack and ship and I sent them the money. When the guy brought the item in, in good condition, they were to pay him and pack it up.

He did, they did and I still use it. I just couldn't pass up the deal.

Ed

Sorry, but I think sending more than $50 or $100 to "someone on the internet" is just plain stupid. There is a very simple and effective way to protect both buyer and seller, for a reasonable fee, $47 on a $1,500 transaction (more if by credit card):
http://www.escrow.com/solutions/escrow/process.asp

Escrow services are a good idea if you're unsure about the seller, especially on a high-value item. There are a lot of escrow services out there as well. But it's all situational: I've bought a lot of stuff over the Internet (and ebay specifically) with no problems, but it really depends on the reputation of the seller and the 'feel' you get from them in setting up the transaction.

I am NOT a fan of sending money to sellers before corresponding with them directly, though...
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

In skydiving we have our own built in escrow service at every DZ.

I would never buy gear I have not seen based solely on the sellers description of it. You make a deal based on their description, have them ship it to a rigger, you contact to the rigger and to have them confirm it is what its supposed to be and it is as described. Then you send the money. Then the seller contacts the rigger and the goods are released.

If the item isnt as described then you don't send money and the contract is void anyway based on the sellers misrepresentation.

The rigger ought to make some beer out of it IMHO and I guess may charge (esp if you ask them to inspect the gear) but I'm told thats not common.

I owe Larry @ Perris beer for being my escrow in a deal on a reserve.