texmex

Fastest Packjob You've seen or done?

Hi Tex,
Maybe you should mention pack jobs that "YOU" jump!! My self I've seen some fast packers and ya' gotta remember what happened to "Amphethemine Annie," "SPEED KILLS!!" However I digress,.....back a few cases of beer ago I got to Elsinore after jumping at Perris all day and it turned out to be Harry Leichers' Birthday and there was a 10 minute call on the "Caribu" (Remember the BU??) Marti Klett said,"DELI!, Yer on the load!" I said,"I'm not Packed!" He said,"Get Packed!" I did, made the last dirt dive and off we went to the wild Blue!! I KNEW I was gona' have a mal!!, I just Knew it, Packed my old Stiletto 170 in a BLUR!!" Great dive and............ It was the sweetest, cleanest softest opening I ever had on that Canopy!!!! GO FIGGURE??B|;):D:ph34r::)

SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Yeah the trash-packs ("hurry up you're on this load") seem to open nicely for me, too, but it's not a habit I want to get into. ;)

I get some crap for taking 15 mins to pack my rig (Sabre2 190 in a Mirage G4), but I'm perfectly happy taking my time and I have very consistent openings.

in reply to "what's the fastest packjob you've seen or done that was jumped (and worked)? Start to finish packjobs only."

Would have to be the "Plane Scared" CRW team guys packing during a training camp .
One guy in particular made it look easy.
Under a minute easy.
This was a total trash pack .
The lines were merely coiled into the bottom of the container and the canopy stuffed in on top .

We called it the 'Coil Of Death '.

Dumping out the door VERY close to each other and OK openings cause they kept doing it and won at the 1st world meet as well.

Question for everyone...what's the fastest packjob you've seen or done that was jumped (and worked)? Start to finish packjobs only.

Crazy Larry at Perris.

He'd be jumping camera with a 4-way team. Land and PACK in the landing area before the last member of the rest of the team was ready to walk in to the packing area.

He'd be walking in with his rig PACKED. FFS.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Question for everyone...what's the fastest packjob you've seen or done that was jumped (and worked)? Start to finish packjobs only.

Crazy Larry at Perris.

He'd be jumping camera with a 4-way team. Land and PACK in the landing area before the last member of the rest of the team was ready to walk in to the packing area.

He'd be walking in with his rig PACKED. FFS.

And has packed other peoples rigs while still on there back...also is the champ of the blind folded pack job (that he will jump):S
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

...also is the champ of the blind folded pack job (that he will jump)

And where, prey tell, was this championship held? I might attend the next one. I have about 30 blindfolded pack jobs (and jumped of course). On one of them I also packed and jumped the blindfolded pack job nekked. ;)
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

my fastest was yesterday 4/5minute tandem

fastest iv seen was a 3 minute on a small velo but its pretty easy to be fast on those

iv heard of a 13 yr old russian girl who a few of the lads met when they were over there jumping who could do 3minute pack jobs no matter what

two and half minute packjob In Sparta in Russia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgAqlC8JBoI

(Language Russian)

I don't use packers, and that fast packjob shows exactly why. It may have opened OK on that occasion, but the lack of line tension, flaking and control over the canopy would really make me wonder about the potential for line burns on the canopy (as well as the consistency of the openings).

If I pay for a packjob, I would want it done properly, not half-assed like that one.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

2 weekends ago - "Twah" at Chambersburg (one of the regular/staff packers) packed me up (planned/timed) at 4minutes, 22 seconds. I jumped it on the very next load and had an absolutely sweet, smooth, and on-heading opening. No problems, no worries at all.

Although he was/is quick - he is still systematic, thorough, "clean" and organized with what he does.

On another note, I have seen personally, Matt Davidson (Golden Knight) land 1st down in the landing area - and have himself all re-packed-up, and heading back to the hangar all fully re-packed and ready-to-go, before even everyone in his jump group (I'm not talking about the students and tandems on the load - but WITHIN HIS JUMP GROUP) have landed! That's got to be (although not stopwatch timed) probably within 2, 3 on the very outside, TOTAL minutes.

FWIW.

"Fast" does not mean necessarily either bad, or messy. Both of these guys as I've witnessed, are simply pure technique. Finely honed.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Heard of a rigger who had a cutaway once that while they were getting the main packed the reserve then hooked back up the main that another had packed up all while on a 20 minute call... :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

...not half-assed like that one.

:D:D:D That's pretty much how I pack for myself, my canopy is twice as big so it takes me longer, but the technique is basically the same.

The only 'function I've had in the last 1500+ jumps was a riser failure on a borrowed rig (sponsored owned rig, doing a demo) that was packed by a master rigger who forgot to uncollapse the slider.

They use to say the longer ya take to pack, the longer it takes to open...:ph34r:

IMO environmental factors are as, if not more detrimental to the wear on a canopy as the lack of pleating & ironing every seam.

I always take great pains to keep the nylon clean, cool & dry...I pick it straight up and never drag it, pack inside on carpeting, even wash my hands before handling it if they're dirty...my 210 has 450 jumps on it but looks like it has 20, my 190 has 1000 jumps on it and though it needs a line set it's looks like it has less than 1/2 that amount.
Neither has ever been chopped.

If the lines are straight, slider up, nose twisted & tucked using the RIGHT rubber bands and your body square at launch & through deployment...it'll work. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

myself on my rig - sub 5 min packs, but could speed it up to 4 min when necessary. - funny thing about some of the fastest packs where all I did was cock the pilot chute, clear the nose and wrap the tail then put in the bag....most were some of the nicest slowest openings *(mostly) a few though were some of the wildest openings too :D

tandem rig - sub 5 min pack - A friend of mine started working for skydive LV - I dropped off a van there for him and his girlfriend when they moved there, while there I hung out at the dz I noticed everyone crowding around one area in the packing area so I wandered over and asked whats up - was told that the packer was going to be timed on packing a tandem rig in under 5 min - so I had to watch, he started with nothing ready, breaks were not stowed - drogue wasnt cocked..nothing, the guy moved like a rabbit on crack and easily had it done, and I saw nothing that he did that would make me hesitate to use that pack either.

fastest sport rig pack I have seen is 3 min and it was a clean pack, if the guy would trash pack I think he could hit around 2 min.

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.