texmex

Fastest Packjob You've seen or done?

I guy I know at my old DZ, who has 8000+ jumps, sometimes lands at the boarding area, packs there, and is ready for the very next load. He can pack in 2-3 minutes. I haven't timed it, but I've seen him do it many times before. Basically he could be on every load of the day :)
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

When I traded in my f-111 for Z-p ,a packer at mile-hi packed my saber 2 260 up to putting it in the bag and closing stows in about three minutes. It opened fine. I was never able to get close to that time packing it myself.
" 90 right, five miles then cut."---Pukin Buzzards

WFFC Tent 3 L/O Brenster would hit his watch timer when he dropped his rig and click it off when he finished. His goal to completion was to keep his mark under 2:30... He didn't sacrifice safety for time and would sometimes bust his goal time. Never saw him have a reserve ride at WFFC.

It took him less time to pack than it did for me to drop off my rig at Packin Cathy and pick up my other rig... :D

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Back in the days of Mullins' $99 boogies, I could pack pretty damn fast. Never timed myself, but 5-6 minutes sounds about right. Nowadays, I put more premium on making sure my packjobs are neat and orderly. makes my openings more predictable. :P

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The packers at Kolomna are pretty fast, but you have to set your brakes, do your slider and pilotchute yourself... With that done I seen it packed sup 3 mins...

My own pack speed on a good day is around 5 mins...

Fastest i can recall is a 5 mins 41 sec on a tandem that was needed on the following load... Timed by our DZ manager...
If everything seems under control.. You're just not going fast enough..!

good packer should be able to do 5 rigs in 20 min
average packer should do 4 rigs in 20 min.
and that is if all the breaks are stowed and pc cocked.

I would have to disagree with that one. I would say less than 10% of packers can do 5 rigs in 20 minutes even with brakes and slider done. I've packed at a dozen different DZ's big and small for many years and can say I know very few packers that will get 5 rigs done in 20 minutes no matter what kind of rig. That's 4 minute packjobs not including the time moving from rig to rig.

4 rigs in 20 is even a feat sometimes for the fastest of packers. It's one thing for a fun jumper to do a 5 or 6 minute packjob to get on a load, but other factors come into play when doing multiple 5 minute packjobs I.E. rubber bands, closing loops, step throughs, huge and new canopies, pull outs, trapped air, etc. Take away all those variables and still 5 minute packjobs are few and far between.

Many of us in DeLand when I was a packer ('89-92) were packing regular sub 4 minute pack jobs, and frequently 5 rigs in 20 minutes. We had to. Competition for work was such that we didn't want to lose a team and they were usually on 20 minute calls from landing. Sometimes we'd team up ourselves and do 5 rigs in under 15 minutes. But alone, 5 in 20 was not only common, it was what separated the successful packer from the rest. And in DeLand, the attitude was that we all always were in pursuit of the best. If you didn't want to be among the best of whatever you were doing, take it down the road.

By far the fastest I have ever seen is the Golden Knights demo teams back in the 60's. They would ONLY stretch out their ParaCommanders and pull the sleeve over them.

It certainly makes packing easier if you aren't the one paying for a lost cutaway canopy or worried about burning holes in the canopy!

At the 2008 Equinox Olympics, the gold medal in the packing race went to a guy named Wade with a time of 3 minutes 49 seconds. This was with a specially selected canopy he had selected for the event - basically, old LoPo fabric. It was jumped. One of the rules of the race was that you had to jump the pack job and land it or be disqualified.

The silver medal time was around 4 minutes 30 seconds.

There may well be faster packers around than this, but these were the quickest packing times among the people at the 2008 Equinox Boogie.

I really want to see a fast packjob on video.

Ok I took a video today doing a 2:20 packjob that I would jump and a sub 2 minuter that I wouldn't. I'll post both tomorrow. I definately felt I couldve done faster As I said I've packed and jumped a 2:28 packjob start to finish.

Back in the days of Mullins' $99 boogies, I could pack pretty damn fast. Never timed myself, but 5-6 minutes sounds about right. Nowadays, I put more premium on making sure my packjobs are neat and orderly. makes my openings more predictable. :P

Maybe, you're just a little older and wiser! I'd rather take my time and be sure.

Chuck

Maybe, you're just a little older and wiser! I'd rather take my time and be sure.

Chuck

I remember watching Charlie Mullins (Mike's oldest son) trash-packing his canopy and thinking "jesus christ, he's gonna jump THAT?" :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Chuck

I remember watching Charlie Mullins (Mike's oldest son) trash-packing his canopy and thinking "jesus christ, he's gonna jump THAT?" :D

I've heard stories about his pack-jobs and all those who told of his packing said it scared the be-jeebus out of them!:D

Chuck

Chuck

I've heard stories about his pack-jobs and all those who told of his packing said it scared the be-jeebus out of them!:D

Chuck

And that wasn't the half of it! He was a test jumper for Precision Aerodynamics. Some of his jumps scared the fuck out of his co-workers! :D

Chuck

Chuck

And that wasn't the half of it! He was a test jumper for Precision Aerodynamics. Some of his jumps scared the fuck out of his co-workers! :D

Weren't both those boys way under USPA minnimum age, when they started jumping?

Chuck