pkrfce

Buying a used canopy

I started by talking to the S&TA person, the rigger, and several instructors. They not only gave good advice, but actually did some research and found me mine. They then checked it out and handled the payments between us.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

I started by talking to the S&TA person, the rigger, and several instructors. They not only gave good advice, but actually did some research and found me mine. They then checked it out and handled the payments between us.

That is a VERY nice situation! I guess I assumed I'd have to do all the work and handle everything. Thinking I should look into something like that if/when it comes time to buy.

I am still curious about the number of jumps. I mean is there a set number that someone should avoid? It seems like most of the inexpensive used canopies have 500 or more jumps and that doesn't seem bad. But what about a canopy with say, 1,000 jumps on it?

The number of jumps a canopy can withstand will depend on where it is jumped, how it is treated and where it is packed. A canopy jumped in the northwest for example and always landed on nice green, grass, packed indoors and treated with respect can last for a couple thousand jumps. A canopy jumped and landed solely in the desert and thrown around and packed on the desert floor can be lucky to see a 1,000 jumps. Information and inspection will determine where a canopy between these ends.

Most canopies especially the all-ZP ones will go 1000+ jumps easily, mostly depending on the jumping environment (grass, desert etc). Other people had that part covered.

You really want to keep an eye out for the lineset though. For microline, which is what most canopies have, count on having to replace the entire lineset about every 600 jumps, so if a canopy is listed with 500+ jumps, ask about the lineset otherwise you may end up having to reline it immediately or soon, and the price should reflect that. A canopy with a brand new lineset may be up to a couple hundred dollars more expensive than one with a need-to-replace lineset, but you can jump it immediately so you may want to pick a 700 jump relined canopy over a 500 jump need-to-reline one. Or not, depending on wether you even are planning to jump your first canopy for very long...

The steering lines (especially the lower ones) generally need replacing once or twice in between. They shrink the fastest and if on risers with velcro get chewed up fast. This is not very expensive and quick to do, but you might enquire about when those were replaced last.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

the ci at my drop zone who has a million jumps up flies a canopy that has 2800 jumps on it and he reakons its good for 3000. Now i wouldnt feel that comfortable flying such an old canopy but it doesnt seem to bother him. So dont be afraid of a canopy that has 1000 jumps on it if its a good price and it has been looked after.