smiles

Requiem for a Dream--

Last night I was flicking thru t.v. channels after thoroughly enjoying the best skating I've seen in my life (mens free skate at Worlds)
and found Requiem for a Dream.

When I initially began watching it, I had no idea what to expect. Within less than five minutes, I knew I was watching something different. I recognized Ellen Burstyn from the Exorcist...and then became thoroughly hooked into watching the show.

The soundtrack was incredible and Ellen Burstyn wired on speed ?...she should have won a award for her acting. Jennifer Connolly /Jared Leto and Marlon Wayans characters come in crystal clear with excellent performances. Talk about brutal and honest, with erratic, chaotic, editing styles to piece together a puzzle about the pains of addiction and destruction. The lure..then a desire..then simply using..then obsession. Leto's arm sickened me, so graphic it made me cringe...by the end of the movie I felt stunned---certainly proved very thought provoking.

One of the three most powerful movies I have ever seen---leaves chills down your spine for it's honesty and unforgiving lessons. I cannot believe I had missed watching this movie...4 years ago :o

SMiles;)

Spectacular movie. Although very much a downer. If you liked it, check out PI (same director and a lot of the same actors). It won at the Cannes a few years back and is a precedessor (not plot wise) to Requim. Clint Mansel also did the score for PI and if you liked Requim, you'll like the PI soundtrack too.

Both great movies, both DVD's in my collection :)
Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

One of the three most powerful movies I have ever seen---leaves chills down your spine for it's honesty and unforgiving lessons.

I agree completely. It is one of the best films that I have ever seen...VERY powerful. It's an absolutely amazing film on so many levels (incredible acting, too), but it is difficult for some people to watch.

If you liked it, check out PI (same director and a lot of the same actors). It won at the Cannes a few years back and is a precedessor (not plot wise) to Requim.

Hmmm...I loved Requiem for a Dream, but Pi? I was very, very tired when I watched that in the theatre and nodded off. I remember not really thinking that it was all that it should have been, but, like I said, I nodded off during it. Should I rent it? Why was Pi such a great film?

That has got to be the worst fucking movie I have EVER seen in my entire life.. There is not a single redeeming factor about that movie, except for when it FINALLY ended. The only other good part was when Samir from Office Space made a cameo as the mail man. His presence was quite possibly the most rewarding portion of my terrible experience with this piece of tripe.

Austin

Yea, great movie - I was numb after I watched it. I'm curious to see what he does with Batman! "Batman Begins" will start to lens in Europe very soon, and it has an all star cast

I saw it at the Georgia Theater in Athens when it came out. All the beer in the world couldn't keep me from hiding my eyes for half the movie. Brutally honest? Yes... More info than I ever needed to know about addictions. I felt so sorry for the mother. All she wanted was to be pretty and noone knew she was going through hell. Am I glad I watched it? Still not sure. I had bad dreams about that movie for a while. My sis had friends die from heroin overdoses so it almost hits too close to home.
I like coconuts. You can break them open and they smell like ladies lying in the sun!

Hmmm...I loved Requiem for a Dream, but Pi? I was very, very tired when I watched that in the theatre and nodded off. I remember not really thinking that it was all that it should have been, but, like I said, I nodded off during it. Should I rent it? Why was Pi such a great film?

Well, remember that most of the filming techniques, the score style, etc for Requiem were developed in PI. I saw PI first, so they were innovative and so was his method of story telling. I also found the subject matter in PI much more appealing, and the black and white filming made me feel like I was watching a NIN video :)
I remember watching Requiem for the first time (not knowing it was directed Darren Aronofsky as well) and thinking damn this reminds me of PI with a bigger budget.

To each their own I guess, but I found them both very entertaining, even though I have a few friends who hated PI but loved Requiem.

Go figure :)
Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

That has got to be the worst fucking movie I have EVER seen in my entire life.. There is not a single redeeming factor about that movie, except for when it FINALLY ended.

Not a single redeeming factor?? Are you suggesting that the movie did not acurately portrait the effects of over use of speed (prescription drugs) to loose weight/ or the destruction caused by heroin addiction?? Are these not redeeming factors??

SMiles;)

Not a single redeeming factor?? Are you suggesting that the movie did not acurately portrait the effects of over use of speed (prescription drugs) to loose weight/ or the destruction caused by heroin addiction?? Are these not redeeming factors??

Ok, I'll give you that it does show what drug addiction can do to people, but then why not just watch Train Spotting if you're interested in heroin addictions? I think that Vanilla asked, so here: I am a huge Tarantino(brilliant movie maker)/Robert Rodriquez fan in addition to Snatch...etc.., and I will say that Requium did at least have some good cinemaphotography. However, as far as the movie really being worth any of my time ever again..... not a chance. I feel like I lost a couple hours of my life that I want back.

Austin

Ok, I'll give you that it does show what drug addiction can do to people, but then why not just watch Train Spotting if you're interested in heroin addictions?

I have seen Trainspotting years ago in the threatre. I loved it also. Btw, I am not particularly interested in drug addiction and it's effects, but I am always interested in good films. I used to work in the industry and have many friends in the industry, including a close friend who is a film critic for "E".

However, as far as the movie really being worth any of my time ever again..... not a chance. I feel like I lost a couple hours of my life that I want back.

Seriously...I'm still curious as to why you feel this way? Can you critique it?

"ASS TO ASS!!!" Jenifer Connely is so dreamy.

Gosh, I've seen that movie like twenty billion times... Reminds me of the Good ol' days. ;)

ASS TO ASS!!! ASS TO ASS!! LOL!!

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

y. However, as far as the movie really being worth any of my time ever again..... not a chance. I feel like I lost a couple hours of my life that I want back.

that was my overall impression of the movie. with the exception of Jennifer Connely....

seems like I've got the couple of hours or years of my life that I want back bug myself. pretty critiical these dayz over every little thing.

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky