fpritchett64

Shouldn't we Know more about our Gear?

>It is not a "dummy" .

It may well have been. There are several SOS systems out there, including systems that have a dummy cutaway handle and a regular SOS handle in place of the reserve. There are also systems where the cutaway handle cuts away the main and the reserve handle both cuts away the main AND opens the reserve, and there are systems where both handles do the same thing (cutaway and open reserve.)

This thread is disturbing. Every training program I have ever been involved in included specific gear knowledge requirements throughout the student's progression.

As mentioned in a previous post, students should not have detailed gear knowledge crammed into their heads during the FJC or first couple jumps, since proper performance does not depend on it and it could serve to generate overload. However, I find it absurd that any student would be allowed to progress to solo jumps without a complete knowledge of how their gear works. After all, how can you "self-supervise" if you don't know how to inspect your own gear??

I was at a DZ recently when a complete lack of gear knowledge nearly killed a guy right in front of his wife and two small children. This guy had about 100 jumps and hadn't jumped in a year. He came out previously to get his paperwork current, then showed up on this day to actually jump.

He got on the plane without a gear check from another jumper, then rode a pilot chute in tow until he was so low that his AAD fired as he dumped his reserve into the trailing pilot chute.

I inspected his rig after the jump and discovered that he had routed his bridle under the right side main flap in such a way that it couldn't pull tension on the pin. We only knew that beat his AAD because the cutter was installed on a reserve flap instead of the bottom of the pack tray allowing us to see that the closing loop wasn't cut.

When I explained to the guy what he had done wrong, it didn't seem to phase him. I only hope his casual attitude about the incident was just a way to make his wife think he hadn't nearly burned in.

Folks, having a full grasp of how your gear works is imperative. Remember that in this sport, what you DON'T know can kill you.

By the way, I can honestly say that NO student EVER went on to level 8's under my watch or that of any of my instructors without being able to explain in great detail how their gear worked, including how to inspect it.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

By the way, I can honestly say that NO student EVER went on to level 8's under my watch or that of any of my instructors without being able to explain in great detail how their gear worked, including how to inspect it.

That's great... but fast forward 100 jumps, and that same student hasn't packed for themselves, just paid a packer, hasn't done 3 ring maintanance, just hands it over to a rigger every 120 days, and what they knew as a student has fallen out of their heads from disuse.

The problem isn't as much student training as it is continuing training after the student program and actively maintaining a knowledge base.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

That's great... but fast forward 100 jumps, and that same student hasn't packed for themselves, just paid a packer, hasn't done 3 ring maintanance, just hands it over to a rigger every 120 days, and what they knew as a student has fallen out of their heads from disuse.

The problem isn't as much student training as it is continuing training after the student program and actively maintaining a knowledge base.

That may be true of some folks from some DZ's, but I bet you can't find any of my former students with that problem. We pounded gear knowledge until it was second nature and stressed the importance of always understanding the gear they jump. We even made them understand every type of deployment system and other variables, so they knew how to inspect anyone's gear, not just their own.

As far as packing, I'm sure anyone could lose some details if they don't pack for a long time. But even then, I'm pretty sure my old students would know enough to stop and get assistance rather than trying to wing it if they weren't sure about something.

I really think a lot of the problem stems from a lack of getting detailed understanding in students heads to begin with, and failing to convince students that gear knowledge is essential to their safety. If a DZ doesn't force the issue, many of today's skydivers are satisfied just knowing in what order to pull handles. Those are the people I call scary.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX