pkrfce

Help with Harness/Container...New Jumper!

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=96440;d%3D1

This -----^ is exactly what I want....but it says its cut for someone 5 feet and 120 lbs. I am 6 feet and 180 lbs. Can the harness be resized?

Another issue, I am finding a perfect sized rig...but it has what I think might be a too aggressive canopy. I have around ~30 jumps. Is a stiletto 150 dangerous to start out on?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=96440;d%3D1

This -----^ is exactly what I want....but it says its cut for someone 5 feet and 120 lbs. I am 6 feet and 180 lbs. Can the harness be resized?

Another issue, I am finding a perfect sized rig...but it has what I think might be a too aggressive canopy. I have around ~30 jumps. Is a stiletto 150 dangerous to start out on?

Call UPT and ask them about the harness re-sizing, I dont know how much leeway you get without just having to build a new harness.

ANY 150 is going to be dangerous to start on, you weigh 180 slick, so Im figuring about 20-30lbs for gear, puts you right at a 210 for a 1:1 wingloading. You might be ok with a 190, but check with your DZ's instructors and see what they recommend!

Stilettos are dangerous and not to be used by novice jumpers. They are a fully elliptical canopy, respond very quickly and are not very forgiving to a mistake from a newbie. Asymetrical flare could drive you into the ground!

Get something thats safe for you now, not what will be safe later.

Theres no rush, the sky isn't going anywhere.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Don't forget to consider the size of the reserve too. The one in the ad you list is a 143.

That'd put you under a reserve loaded ~1.4.

Not where I would want to be, and I have a few more jumps than you do.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Don't forget to consider the size of the reserve too. The one in the ad you list is a 143.

That'd put you under a reserve loaded ~1.4.

Not where I would want to be, and I have a few more jumps than you do.

Good point, I wouldnt want to be anywhere near 143 for my last chance. I actually have a bigger reserve than I do main on my new rig... Dont wanna chop away and instantly downsize!B|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Well "might" being okay on a 190 seems rediculous considering I have been jumping a 7 and 9 cell 170 with a 160 reserve. Haven't had a problem at all.

If I am getting a rig. I would like a 150 Sabre2. The only problem I can't find one. And if I do find one....the harness is built for a midget. Would I have better luck piecing one together?

Well "might" being okay on a 190 seems rediculous considering I have been jumping a 7 and 9 cell 170 with a 160 reserve. Haven't had a problem at all.

If I am getting a rig. I would like a 150 Sabre2. The only problem I can't find one. And if I do find one....the harness is built for a midget. Would I have better luck piecing one together?

You are a poster boy for Wingloading BSR.

Please read this thread.

A 150 at 30 jumps at that wing loading is asking for a negative outcome.

A container can have the harness resized. But after reading the above mentioned article, I would hope you would look for a different complete system that is more suited to your current experience.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Please read this thread.

A 150 at 30 jumps at that wing loading is asking for a negative outcome.

A container can have the harness resized. But after reading the above mentioned article, I would hope you would look for a different complete system that is more suited to your current experience.

the OP of the thread you linked to jumps at the same DZ as the OP of this thread. Coincidence ?

Anyways, troll or not, this is a piss poor choice o a size for a first canopy, regardless of the posters Skillz.

Can I please have some reasons why NOT to jump a 150anything? (other than that I will die)

Very serious injury.

I pretty much dont care if YOU hurt YOURSELF, You're a grown adult... but with a HP canopy/WL you could very easily make a mistake that could kill/injure someone else... You dont posess the muscle memory reactions that could save yours and someone elses life. There have been people way better than you (and I and many others) that have made mistakes that have costed other people (flying correct patterns) serious injuries and even death. Look at the incidents fourm, there have been a couple very recently!

Who do I need to send my $5 for my spot on the BB board?

Can I please have some reasons why NOT to jump a 150anything? (other than that I will die)

Because it's doubtful that you have the skills to handle it in anything other than optimal conditions.

Brian Germain made up a downsizing chart that suggests minimum canopy size based on jump numbers. If you don't recognize the name, he is a recognized expert at canopy flight and training.
Depending on how much your gear weighs (I'm assuming that the 180# you mentioned was not exit weight, which includes all the gear you have on going out the door), you shouldn't be under a 150 until 400 jumps.

Edit to add (because I hit the "post" button by mistake) - THIS THREAD answers your question, including specific examples of people under canopies too small for them getting into situations they couldn't handle.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Ya, I read about that guy on the PD website about choosing the right canopy. Are there any threads on here in which people have started out at a different canopy size and wrote about it?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3610363;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Here is a one on a guy with 167 Jumps that almost paralyzed him self on Sabre 2 170 loaded at 1.32. He was playing around doing mini swoops on a hot humid summer day and learned a lesson about density altitude (hot humid days) the hard way. Its shit like this you want to learn on a BIG slow canopy.

At 30 jumps and less than a year in the sport I don't quite think you realize the shit you can get yourself into on a 1.4 load main and reserve.

You have the rest of you life to down size and jump smaller canopies. Be smart get a 1 to 1 loaded main/reserve and learn to fly the shit out of it for a couple of hundred jumps, while you are still learning how to skydive.

Lets put it this way:

Would you go and race in a Formula 1 race the next week after you got your drivers license, knowing full well that one twitch, delayed reaction, over/under-correction, loss of awareness even if just for a split second CAN and fairly commonly WILL result in your life ending or you being seriously injured?

Yeah, I know it would be cool, but wouldn't you want plenty of experience on the highway and behind the wheel before you went and did something like that?

Aggiedave is a swooper that fully admits to downsizing too fast. Gaining skills on a larger canopy is much easier to transfer to a smaller one. That extra nylon over your head allows you time to correct for a mistake. Whether that mistake be yours or the "I gots mad skilz" idiot that cut you off. Do everyone including yourself a favor and don't be that idiot.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Aggiedave is a swooper that fully admits to downsizing too fast. Gaining skills on a larger canopy is much easier to transfer to a smaller one. That extra nylon over your head allows you time to correct for a mistake. Whether that mistake be yours or the "I gots mad skilz" idiot that cut you off. Do everyone including yourself a favor and don't be that idiot.

That is completely true. I got lucky, many others haven't been lucky, they're permanently disabled or dead. I would have been a better swooper much sooner if I had downsized slower to help me learn!

Then there are people like Travis who hooked in back in 2000 and I watched it happen. He was borrowing an Omega 150 from a 170 and he had about 200 jumps. He was not a swooper, did not want to be a swooper, he just found himself flying downwind towards an obsticle. His canopy landed before he did. If we hadn't of opened his full face helmet he would have drowned in his own blood. It took him over a year to learn to walk again He hit so hard that he knocked an eye ball out of his head and severed the optic nerve on the other eye. He is forever blind.

We rarely hear about the long term stories with all of the people who hook it in
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."