npgraphicdesign

What freefly friendly container (and options) to invest in?

I'm starting to look for a freefly friendly container, and was wondering what to go with. I've researched some new/used containers, and honestly...I'm not sure what container or what options to go with. I've heard great opinions about Mirage, Icon, Vector, Wings, Javelin, etc. I am also not sure what options to go with if I go with a new container.

Any thoughts/suggestions? I'm going to Zhills in the end of August, and they have a good line-up of new and used containers in stock. I want to go there armed with enough knowledge about various containers.

B| Thanks y'all.

Mirage G4 with UNISYS harness and freefly hackey!

Mirage is a bit too expensive for my taste. I have 2200 or less to spend...[:/]

Dont even look at a Vector3 Micron! :o

Actually, if you're not trying to go crazy with options, you might be able to keep it under 2 grand. The base price is $1800 IIRC.

Take a look at Dolphin and Wings, they're pretty inexpensive. Wings (I believe) has better bridal protection for freeflying it looks like.

Then there is Mirage and UPT, starting around the $1800 mark, plus options. Turn around on the Mirage is faster of the two. They dont offer a MARD for the Mirage yet, but you might not be looking for that?

Do you already have canopies? You can find used containers in the Classifieds here. No need to buy new!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Actually, if you're not trying to go crazy with options, you might be able to keep it under 2 grand. The base price is $1800 IIRC.

Take a look at Dolphin and Wings, they're pretty inexpensive. Wings (I believe) has better bridal protection for freeflying it looks like.

Then there is Mirage and UPT, starting around the $1800 mark, plus options. Turn around on the Mirage is faster of the two. They dont offer a MARD for the Mirage yet, but you might not be looking for that?

Do you already have canopies? You can find used containers in the Classifieds here. No need to buy new!

I am curious why the Wings are relatively cheap compared to other containers out there.

I'm looking to stay with my main/reserve (Tri210/RavenII 218) until next season.

I am curious why the Wings are relatively cheap compared to other containers out there.

I'm looking to stay with my main/reserve (Tri210/RavenII 218) until next season.

I dont know if they got a source for their raw supplies or something. I seem to recall alot of the gear prices come from the companies having to offset their research costs for developing new gear. Think of how many jumps, test, man hours of R&D go into everything on the rig. The 3-rings didn't invent themselves, neither did the hand deploy pilot chute.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

The Infinity base is $1800. I'm one of those that don't need articulation (don't think it has much value). I added stainless (+150 for non-articulated harness) and pinstripes (+40) for a total under 2k. Depending on your dealer, you might even get a discount under that.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The Infinity base is $1800. I'm one of those that don't need articulation (don't think it has much value). I added stainless (+150 for non-articulated harness) and pinstripes (+40) for a total under 2k. Depending on your dealer, you might even get a discount under that.

That's not bad at all. How do you like your infinity so far? Pretty good in terms of freefly friendly, good bridle protection, comfortable, etc?

I'm coming up on 1000 jumps on my Infinity, and have had zero troubles with it. Great rig, and great bunch of guys to deal with.

Not that I want to take food out of their mouths, but for half of your budget I bet you can find a great used container that would be freefly friendly. If you're planning to downsize next year, why not do the whole enchilada then?

You can get your smaller canopies, and a brand new rig that just barely holds them so the rig will make it through another downsize down the road. If you find a good deal on a used rig, and only jump it for another season, you should be able to get most of what you spent out of it to apply to the new container.

Maybe you lose $100 or $150 on the deal, so that's the price you pay to jump it for a season. That's way better then ordering a new rig, downsizing next year, and then losing much more when you have to sell the rig for another downsize.

New gear really only makes financial sense if you either have tons of dough, or plan to jump it until it has little to no value left (like my Infinity, I'll replace it in another 500 to 1000 jumps, at which point it will be 'gutter gear'). If you're in the process of downsizing, used gear is the most cost effective way to go.

If you do shop used, any Infinity, Jav, Vector III, or Wings from the last 5 or 7 years will be solid and freefly friendly. If you really want to go all out, I think they can retrofit a Skyhook to some of the more recent Vector IIIs (consult UPT for the details on that one).

That's not bad at all. How do you like your infinity so far? Pretty good in terms of freefly friendly, good bridle protection, comfortable, etc?

The Infinity is outstanding, in every way. I've known the last 3 owners of what is now Velocity Sports Equipment. That kind of history tends to make people loyal to a brand. Sometimes just having a mfg located near to your DZ is a really good reason to have their rig. Some people can't stand the appearance of a certain rig design, some features are seen as really unique and important, some people find some rigs much more comfortable. All modern rigs are great and do not have flaws worth noting here. Since '95 I've bought 2 Infinity rigs and one of their predecessor, the Northern Lite.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

If you buy a new H/C any brand would do it for you. They are designed for FF in mind.

H/C? :|

Harness/Container.

A holdover from the very old days when they were separate items
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Stainless steel hardware is simply a look good option imo.
Articulation, i.e hip rings, pillow reserve ripcord and all important freefly mod [elastic between leg straps]. are imo options worth considering.

A year after purchasing my container I had to send it to the factory to have the hardware replaced, the nickle platted hardware had all corroded and was damaging the webbing. The chest strap and leg straps were all replaced as well as the hardware, with stainless steel. Since then I have had no problems with corrosion on my rig.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you don't get stainless, then cadmium plated steel is the standard. I no longer want toxic cadmium dust.

Articulation, i.e hip rings, pillow reserve ripcord and all important freefly mod [elastic between leg straps]. are imo options worth considering.

Actually, I would recommend against pillow reserve handle for the time being. Being new you should stick to what is familiar (stainless handle). It provides a more positive/easy manner of extraction.

Fair one, on the reserve ripcord, but until several months ago i'd never had cause to use my pillow type ripcord, so when exactly does it become familiar.
As for the stainless vs nickel, forgive me i wasn't aware of any issues, suprised it hasn't been outlawed.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

Actually, I would recommend against pillow reserve handle for the time being. Being new you should stick to what is familiar (stainless handle). It provides a more positive/easy manner of extraction.

Well I am perfectly fine with the stainless handle for now.

Maybe it's a very stupid question from a skydiving noob, what's the advantage of articulation vs, non-articulation? Is it purely a comfort option, or is there more to it?

Well I am perfectly fine with the stainless handle for now.

Maybe it's a very stupid question from a skydiving noob, what's the advantage of articulation vs, non-articulation? Is it purely a comfort option, or is there more to it?

I actually know a couple swoopers that prefer NOT to have the articulated hips. They say it gives them more harness input vs the harness just re-adjusting on the ring.:S

My understanding is the articulation is mostly a comfort thing. Honestly, I think it just causes the harness to be too easy to move around. I'm ok with hip rings but the fully articulated chest rings drive me nuts. I have also heard too many stories of people not being able to find handles because the rig was so twisted around on their body cause of all the articulation.

I bought a brand new vector3 and skipped any articulation.

I also don't like the stainless french hardware either, but that's cause my damn leg straps slip sometimes when I'm swooping and unload half the harness.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

My understanding is the articulation is mostly a comfort thing.

+1, but I think the big deal with articulation is resale value. IMHO, if I harness container fits correctly, it WILL flex at the right points, so the comfort argument I go back and fourth on. If a harness is *almost* fit just to you, then having them makes a big difference. I've had 2 new rigs fit just for me, and I can't tell a difference between articulated and non-articulated.

My .02, I'd look at a Racer 2K3 from Jumpshack. Magnetic double-tuck riser covers, pins on your back, I mean, how could you get more freefly friendly than that?
=========Shaun ==========

My understanding is the articulation is mostly a comfort thing. Honestly, I think it just causes the harness to be too easy to move around. I'm ok with hip rings but the fully articulated chest rings drive me nuts. I have also heard too many stories of people not being able to find handles because the rig was so twisted around on their body cause of all the articulation.

I bought a brand new vector3 and skipped any articulation.

I also don't like the stainless french hardware either, but that's cause my damn leg straps slip sometimes when I'm swooping and unload half the harness.

I've seen many pictures where articulated harnesses were "articulating/flexing" at the webbing away from the rings. That doesn't make me think the rings have real value. I've skipped articulation on both of my new rigs in the last 8 years, and I had plenty of money to spend.

I've found the std stainless leg straps that came with my newer Infinity to be fantastic for not slipping at all. My first Infinity 8 years ago had cad plated steel hardware, and they slipped a lot. I had heard that stainless leg strap hardware was more prone to slip, but that certainly isn't true for my rig. I'm very glad I took Kelly's advice and just ordered the std stainless leg buckles, rather than going for the fancy versions with the metal spring pushing on the webbing - absolutely no need for that. Of course I don't swoop, so maybe others have more to say on that with the shifting around they do.