discovery4

Good first jumpsuit?__=__As versatile as possible!!!

http://www.deepseed.com/skydiving_equipment/freefly/multispeedsuit.php#

I am looking to buy my first jumpsuit. This seems to be a good choice but no one at my DZ knows much about this manufacturer. Would this suit work well enough for beginner RW? It doesn't have booties and it isn't skin tight but it seems to be a good option because it can also be used for solo's and FF.

For a little info about me I'm 6' and about 160 lbs...Pretty skinny.

deepseed make good quality suits mate. I have a few mates with the multi speed suits. I dont really know if u need a multi speed one though, i always thought they were for the people who are heavy and fall fast so u can unzip the suit for extra bag to slow u down. I would think that being 6 foot and skinny that u may have the problem of falling slow, so maybe u could just get a normal suit without the zippers on it. U may need a tight one to make u fall faster. maybe do some jumps with some experienced guys and ask them what your fall rate is like. cheers

Thanks for everyone's help!

I'm not necessarily looking for a suit that will give me the fastest fall rate. What I'm trying to figure out is, what suit is a good all around suit for a beginner?

I want a suit that will be as versatile as possible allowing me to do RW, FF, tracking dives, and anything else that I discover while I'm still a noob. I don't need a super slick, booties with a tension cord, turn on a dime RW suit. I just want a suit that I can do beginner RW as well as beginner anything else in.

This deepseed suit seemed like it might fit that bill, or maybe not. That's why I was asking.

If this suit isn't a viable option to do RW in at with my frame (6', 160 lbs), is there a suit that will allow me to do RW but also be useful in other aspects of my new skydiving adventures?

Thanks again!!!!

I don't recommend trying to use one suit for freeflying and RW. Chances are it'll make you worse at one or both. In my opinion, you are better off getting a decent fitting RW suit, with booties. Your freefly suit can consist of whatever you happen to be wearing that day, with the shirt tucked in. An RW suit makes a big difference. A suit that helps you achieve the same fallrate as the people you're jumping with will help you learn. I'd go with two cheap suits over one really fancy one.

Skydiving costs every penny you will ever have for the rest of your skydiving career. No reason to try to save money. :)
Dave

If your looking to have a suit that does everything in order to save money, have you considered talking to your DZO about buying on of his student jumpsuits (possibly the one youve been wearing most)? When I got my A license I couldnt afford a new jumpsuit... It doesnt fit great and it is ugly and beat up (who orders WHITE student jumpsuits?? :S)... but it should have grippers and you could probably get a rigger to sew on some sort of bootie if it doesnt have any (or even a manufacturer if youre near one). Just an idea. Good luck :)

If your looking to have a suit that does everything in order to save money, have you considered talking to your DZO about buying on of his student jumpsuits (possibly the one youve been wearing most)? When I got my A license I couldnt afford a new jumpsuit... It doesnt fit great and it is ugly and beat up (who orders WHITE student jumpsuits?? :S)... but it should have grippers and you could probably get a rigger to sew on some sort of bootie if it doesnt have any (or even a manufacturer if youre near one). Just an idea. Good luck :)

This coming from the girl that got the free jumpsuit with the purchase of her rig.:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

This coming from the girl that got the free freefly jumpsuit with the purchase of her rig.:P

I bought my RW suit off my DZO ages before that... And PS- I cant use my freefly suit for anything other than H&Ps because theres too much drag... Yay for being a floater!:)

You're the wrong size for the 'one jumpsuit' plan. You need to be on the 'husky' side for that to work because you can get a slightly baggy freefly-type suit, and then use it to slow you down for RW type jumps. Even then, it will be a so/so RW suit, but you could make it work.

Your problem is that you're too far from average because of your height and weight. You will need a slick front (nylon) tight fitting RW suit, or you'll be floating up over everyone. Loading up on weights and wearing a freefly type suit is a bad idea. you may end up needing some weights anyway, and a baggy suit would just require you to wear more.

I say bite the bullet and buy a properly fitted RW suit. Unless you put on 25 or 30lbs of bodyweight, the RW suit will last you forever. If you want to try a little freeflying, just borrow any baggy suit that fits. Your first pile of freefly jumps will be solos or two ways, so matching the fall rate isn't as much of a consideration as in RW. By the time you get some freefly skills together and are ready to move on to bigger or more technical freefly jumps, you'll have the money and the experience to order a freefly specific suit.

why not? will it explode?

he's talking about ankle cuffs - and crappy RW rather than decent RW

you can freefly in a coverall from Fleet Farm - for that matter you can do RW in a coverall from Fleet Farm

is that cheap enough? I like the note above about buying an old student suit to get you to where you decide to step up and get a good RW AND a good FF suit.

what's "good"?

a billion options on an RW suit is interesting, but not necessary - (tension cords????? you don't want goofy sales gimmicks.... a simple RW suit - big booties, good fit, all the grippers and make them big and chunky - that's all)

A super expensive and fancy FF suit? not necessary, most people don't FF good enough to tell the difference. I like a simple suit that's fairly form fitting (fly your body, don't let the suit fly you). Liners are interesting for comfort, but you can also just wear a long sleeve T if you need the layer underneath.....

for either, find out if you fall fast or slow in those orientations (jump, don't just assume), and then tell the manufacturer when you send in the order

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

turn on a dime RW suit.

careful - once you snap out a great center point (turn on a dime) move, you might find you LIKE it.......:D

and want to do more of them with other people that can do them too

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ouch! people like you in baggy freefly suits on their bellies are TOUGH to follow, even I have to get out my slowfall gear. If you want to fly on your belly, you should get a RW suit.

Check out some other brands of freefly suits too: Boogie Man makes some really good, slick freefly suits that are fast while still easy enough to fly for a beginner. My friend here got a Cristal, that she already flies well. Sonic also makes good fast suits.

Of course I recommend getting into RW, RW is great fun, and you get to turn points even when you're fairly inexperienced, and we can build really big formations.

:)
It's more important to get a suit that's sewn for you than a costum rig. It's pretty easy to find a used rig that fits you, but a suit that's just right is harder, and if it doesn't fit, it won't fly as intended.

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?