Sheenster303

About time to get back in the sky!

I made a tandem back last September and because of scheduling and financial conflicts I haven't been able to start AFF like I wanted to.

Well this Friday I'm finally going to be able to get back in the sky. I have the day off (which never happens) so I decided to do one more tandem before starting AFF. I'm sooo excited!

I'll be able to start AFF in May when my school's semester ends. I just figured that it would be a good idea to do one more tandem before jumping into AFF since I can't remember the freefall sensation too well.

I'm a little nervous about starting AFF though. I'm scared of being in control of the canopy and such. I'm not scared of the actual falling as I am of landing my own parachute.

Did anybody feel this way when they started AFF?
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

I did aff by choice, looked through diffrent choices & still picked aff.

Freefall is a blast, the most fun you can have with trainers/sneekers on.

You get the freefall alright, & it's straight off.

You have to land your parachute on your own no matter what system you go through, aff, s/l, or tandem progression.

so why not become a skydiver who can land a parachute all on the same jump.

There are fore's & against's, every student will tell you thier own story, just like me, but, if you want to fly canopys, become a parapontist, if you want to skydive do aff.

S/l students will tell you that they are better at canopy control than aff students & this may be true, aff students tend to get thier skydiving licences long before S/l students & still do the same number of landings while these said better parachutests still can't master freefall & are stuck on 15 second delays, go figer..

S/l students do a lot more jumps than AFF students because they never really feel freefall in thier first few jumps, & then that could be be for quite a few jumps there after (depending on student).

Get prices (did you really want to become a skydiver to sit under a parachute for sooo long till you felt freefall because it was a little cheeper & twice as long & more than likley quit because of the time & comitment it took), I'd say, go aff.

But thats just ME.

Mush

Tandems are fantastic (never done one myself), but everyone I know that has would like to try it one more time because it was so much FUN, but they will never become skydivers, it's the best blast in the world, if you want to tast skydiving, DO IT, you'll never forget it.

If you have done one already, save your money, the cost of a tandem will buy you some equiptment when you grad AFF.

(again, just my thoughts)

I am recently off AFF, so here is my advice. Read as much as you can when not in sky. The advice and suggestions I read here are invaluable. But remember, the info is only as good as the source.
When going through AFF, the biggest problems I had were remembering the diveflow. There was a lot I had to remember, and I was scared to screw up anything. Let's see, diving exit, swoop to instructor, dock, redock, right 360, left 360, backflip and wave off at 4.5. Oh god, I'll never remember!!! But the dives I thought were sunk, the instructor said I did terrific! Keep the faith. Just look forward to your first unsupervised dive. THAT is incredible. You see the tandems and AFF'ers and think, "Been there, done that." B|

Confuscious say: "It take many nail to make a baby crib...but only one screw to fill it."

Just look forward to your first unsupervised dive. THAT is incredible. You see the tandems and AFF'ers and think, "Been there, done that."

Looks like a future buyer of a case of mmmMMMM BEER;)

You dont need a parachute to skydive, but you will need one to skydive twice.

Yeah I'm going to do another tandem next Friday. I want to jump one more time before I start AFF cuz I forgot about the freefall sensation. I want to be able to be focused on AFF without freaking out from the first jump sensation.

P.M.S. #102

That's a cool way of thinking, the aff course is way intense & if you feel that's the right thing for you to do, then I'm sure you have the right mind for this sport.

It's all about knowing your own limits & goals.

Go Girl, see you in the air one day :)

Doing another tandem is a great idea. Give you some more freefall so you wont' get sensory overload so bad when you start AFF in May. Some people will say tandems are a waste of money if you know you wanna do AFF, but i disagree. Tandems are awesome to get you more comfortable in the air. Landing a parachute on your own the first time is a little scary, but thats normal. Listen to the radio instructions, and you'll be fine. Remember to smile and have fun. You're gonna kick ass when you start AFF. If you need to talk about anything, gimme a PM. Rock on girl!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I'm a little nervous about starting AFF though. I'm scared of being in control of the canopy and such. I'm not scared of the actual falling as I am of landing my own parachute.

Did anybody feel this way when they started AFF?

Before I did my tandem I didn't know if I'd ever to it again. As soon as we were under canopy, I had no doubt. Being nervous about flying your own canopy is natural because it's the most dangerous part (and I was nervous because in the harness room I found that flaring took more musclepower than I expected, but I could still do it. They made the harness room harder than the real thing). Your instructors will be there with you until you are pulled out of their hands by your deploying canopy, and like Sunshine said, they'll guide you down.

You're gonna do great. Have a great tandem and then AFF!! B|
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

If my DZ had offered AFF, I probably would have done that method. They didn't, so I learned through static line. I think AFF would have been better for me for the freefall learning (although more helpful to me would have been jumping a smaller rig - it would have been easier for me to get into the correct body positions).

There is one disadvantage in AFF training that I can think of, though. Here's an AFF student story that I witnessed in Southern CA when I was doing my last student jumps:

A solo AFF student about to get his license still needed his hop and pop for his proficiency card (supposed to be at 3.5K). The door opened at 5K on jump run. The student stood the door. And stood it. He was terrified to get out that low and finally got out way past his spot. He landed well away from the landing area, off the DZ.

The reason I mention this is because there's something to be said about learning not to fear getting out low. I recommend doing the hop and pop as soon as you can when you're an AFF student, because you never know when you'll need to get out of the plane low, in an aircraft emergency. Just do it and get it over with as soon as the instructors let you, and you'll be mentally prepared for it in case something happens. If you are in the way at the door and blocking it in an emergency, someone will push you out of the way.

Just my two cents. I think AFF is a great choice! Have a great time and welcome to skydiving.

Not sure if you guys have TAAF in the states. When I was doing my AFF course the first jump was a tandem. I did some practice ripcord pulls, alti checks and then "pull" the ripcord (TM deployed chute). The difference between TAAF and my first tandem is that your not so much a passenger during TAAF. Its a great way to start AFF whilst learning and still having somewhere to do the stuff that might normally scare a student like landings/deploying.

Have fun during your AFF and look foward to your first solo!

I did my tandem today and it was sooo great! It was a sunset load and it was absolutely beautiful! I'll be back on Sunday to do my 2nd level in tandem progression.

Woohoo!

Awesome :)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I did my level 2 today. I did everything I was supposed to do. Pulled at the right time. You know all that good stuff. I just need to work on positioning my legs correctly. They were way down. But then again the instructor didn't tell me how to position my legs, so I'll have to work on that on Level 3.

Does anybody have problems with their ears popping after you land? I thought I had gotten them to pop, but it still feels like I'm in a tunnel. Is there anything to remedy that?

P.M.S. #102

I thought I had gotten them to pop, but it still feels like I'm in a tunnel. Is there anything to remedy that?

Use the valsalva maneuver. Hold your nose, close your mouth, and blow shortly and sharply. Caveat: this maneuver works well once in level flight at altitude or during/after descent. Don't use it on ascent . . . use the yawn or jaw-jut method.

If you can't clear them or experience pain, call it a day and get a doc to look in your ears.
Arrive Safely

John