Deisel

Typical Silhouette Wear or Something Else?

I jump a Silhouette 190 that is about 5 years old with almost 400 jumps on it. I've noticed in the last 50 or so jumps that it has begun to snivel quite a bit more than it used to. It's to the point now that I'm actually upright in the saddle while it's still deciding if it's going to open. It doesn't bother me any but I'm wondering if this is typical wear now that it's broken it fairly well? BUt I also don't want to end up ignoring signs of something potentially unsafe. Anyone know of any reason to be concerned here?
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

Never. I spoke to my rigger about that and he figure that I could get at least anothe 100 or so jumps out of what I have.
Do linesets have that much effect on openings?
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

Yes, linesets have everything to do with how your canopy flies. Your rigger may have looked at the lines and thought they looked like they would last another 100 jumps, but he may not have measured your lines against a chart.

Some types of lines can shrink or stretch over time and with a canopy that is made of cloth, the canopy's shape is partially determined by how those lines hold it in place.

Follow this link: http://www.performancedesigns.com/products.asp?product=si

There you will find in the boxes under the color chart a link to an article about how to measure line trim and links to the line trim charts for your canopy. Be sure to select the correct link for the size Silhouette you own.

If your lineset is with in trim, then call up PD and talk to them. They are very customer driven and will be happy to answer your questions. Worst case you mail your canopy to them so they can test it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Its still opening for those 100 jumps, but if the lines are out of trim, it wont open the same as if they are in trim.

ETA: AD... ya beat me to it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I had a para-flite astrobe that would not open unless you released the brakes. It was kinda cool that I could decide when I wanted it to open. :D

Even just measuring the difference in length of the A lines (center cell compared to outer) will allow a more educated analysis of your situation, without having to make detailed overall measurements of all the lines.

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

" ... Even just measuring the difference in length of the A lines (center cell compared to outer) will allow a more educated analysis of your situation, without having to make detailed overall measurements of all the lines.

..."

The simplest way to measure the life of a line set is to stretch out all the "A" lines from a single front riser.
When the difference across the "A" lines exceeds 3 inches, order a new line set.

More of a snivel is typical of the lower control lines being shorter than original and creating the canopy to open closer to the stall point, hence less flight at opening and a slower opening. A Spectre is very known for this since the opening is set so close to the stall to start with and should have the lower control lines replaced half way through the line set (15 minute or so job). If it is starting to rock/surge front to back as it gets full inflation then it is stalling and should be replaced immediately. More end cell closure than normal is a characteristic of shortened outboard A lines. Yes one usually means the other has happened as well.
Be Safe and Have Fun, in that order!
Tuffy