Anvilbrother

Ward Brunswick/National Treadle sewing machine

I finally got possession of my moms old treadle sewing machine:)
It was frozen with old oil, but I got it all freed up, and running with some wd40, q-tips, followed back over with 3in1 oil. I know i'm gonna need a new belt, and where ever the hell I can find a needle I need one of those too. Is it worth trying to get back into running shape, or should I just clean it up good, and admire it in the corner? I tried to feed some fabric through it, and although the dogs have good sharp teeth, and are moving well I could not get the fabric to feed no matter the foot tension.

I might just not know what the hell I am doing tho. I did make D-Bag today for an old canopy I have using another machine, (see the last attached pic), so im not completely clueless about sewing. Thanks again for any help

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

http://www.thetreadlersvillage.com/MontgomeryWard-National-sewingmachinemanuals.html[url]

My mother used a treadle machine to sew suede, leather, and other hard to sew and slippery fabrics. She made mens suit jackets. She also taught us to sew on one.

Won't do harness as won't handle 5 cord. Will probably do e thread. May or may not feed canopy fabric. Will probably do cordura and parapac fine.

My grandmother made most of my sister's clothes and reupholstered several chairs and couchs with a singer treadle machine.

But your probably better off an old viking or necchi like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Husqvarna-Viking-6010-Sewing-Machine-Case-/150468812602?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item2308a3df3a

I've wore out two and still use my last viking to make toggles (6 layers of type IV). It does it better than my commercial zigzag. I've made gear bags, replaced container velcro and made toggles with one similar to the link above.

You'll be more versitile with a zig zag. I wouldn't spend any more time on the treadle machine unless you have lots of time.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I wouldn't use 3in1 oil! I'd be willing to bet, that's what froze it up in the first place. 3in1 oil gets very tacky with time. Any sewing store will carry a good, light, sewing machine oil.
You might check with a sewing machine repairman in regard to needle size. I doubt he's charge you for a phone call.
I would agree with the other poster, it should be able to handle 0-P, rip-stop and a couple layers of cordura or para-pack. Looks like a neat old machine.

Agreed!

WD-40 and 3-1 are great penetrating oils, great for cleaning old machines, but not good lubricators in the long run.
Sewing machine specific oil - available from any domestic sewing machine shop will lubricate much better in the long run.

Your next question is which size of needles to use. Size 6 is way too small for E-thread.
You need a minimum of size 16, preferably size 18 to pull E-thread.
Most riggers use size 18 or 20 for canopy repairs and size 20 or 22 for container repairs.
And the best person to answer most of your sewing machine questions if a grumpy, old, grey-bearded sewing machine mechanic. The sing of a true sewing machine mechanic is that he has a hundred derelict sewing machines that he steals parts off of.

I see you've met my repairman!:D

Yessir! Size 18 is what I use for E-thread. What I was getting at was proper needle length for that machine. For my 7-33, Brenda Reid sent me some needles for it several years ago and those things look like steel posts!:D Then too, that's what it takes for 5 and 6-cord.

Chuck

I finally got possession of my moms old treadle sewing machine. Im wondering if anyone here uses anything like it, what it might be capable of (harness, webbing, or just regular stuff), what might be missing, and where to find any model or other info so I can get a manual. I only found the name and serial number, and a plate that shows what needles it takes for what size cotton (1-8?)

That machine is a collectible. You might want to put it up somewhere.
It is a vibrating shuttle machine, sometimes called a sliding shuttle machine.
It differs in the way the top thread and bobbin thread are interconnected.
On that machine the shuttle (along with the bobbin) pass through the top thread loop made on the upstroke of the needle.

On other machines, you have a hook that catches, then flips the top thread around the bobbin thread.

The machine that you have can sew a lot of different materials including very heavy stuff because of the VS and the way it works.

I personally would showcase it and buy something else.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com