NovaTTT

Riggers - How Do You Close Your Racers?

While AIRing a CYPRES equipped Racer this evening, I got to wondering how other riggers get the closing loops through the cutters.

I use a ghost loop and a compression strap. I fingertrap the running ends around the closing loops. It takes a little longer but I don't mind that and I don't worry about losing the closing loop at the cutter.

Which method is your preference?
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Check out my photos of a complete racer reserve packing HERE. If your method works for you then thats what counts, there is always more than one way to skin a cat, some are just easier than others.:)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have tried all the different tools and methods, but settled on ghost loops a decade ago.
I have tried a wide variety of steel T-bodkins: solid, screw-on, made from wire coat-hangers, etc.
The first time I tried using my sleeved, T-bodkins, one of them broke inside a Para-Cushion my response could not be repeated in polite company!%$#@!
Now, my (fixed) steel T-bodkins only get used to close Para-Cushions ... maybe I keep them because they are too expensive to throw out???
Oh and Airtec banned slender steel T-bodkins made from upholstery needles ... the method recommended by Jump Shack a long time ago.

I first heard of ghost loops - from a German rigger - at a PIA Symposium more than a decade ago.

My ghost loops are home-made and adjustable, but are probably fancier than most riggers need.

I always finger-trap my pull-ups cords to the ghost loops, but gave up on finger-trapping them to closing loops a while ago.
Hemostats help slip pull-up cords through closing loops.

And I always wrap a molar strap around the pilot chute spring, just to reduce the number of things I have to struggle with when flipping over the container.

Rob Warner
FAA Master Rigger (back, seat and chest)
CSPA Rigger Examiner

Love packing Racer Reserve -

I've done a few things, I settled on Compression strap with the *jumpshack* method - steel t-bodkins. I don't know how it could get any easier really - I don't have to muscle the PC down or worry about it scooting off center as I flip the rig..
=========Shaun ==========

We have a DVD Packing (video) manual that will guide you step-by-step. Call for the $5 DVD and make rigging FUN again!

BTW, I use T-Bodkins and our AAD Cutter Threader Tool. The tool is made using a 4 inch long piece of Type 4 (square weave), and (approx.) 16" long piece of 500 lb spectra (Cypres loop material), finger trapped into itself and zigged to the Type 4. See attachment for How To diagram.

BTW, I use T-Bodkins and our AAD Cutter Threader Tool. The tool is made using a 4 inch long piece of Type 4 (square weave), and (approx.) 16" long piece of 500 lb spectra (Cypres loop material), finger trapped into itself and zigged to the Type 4. See attachment for How To diagram.

That's how I do it as well. I got the tool from you (well, from someone at JS who mailed it ot me, anyway) - it works great.

Can someone describe exactly what ghost loops are, and how they are used (or post a picture?) I've heard about them lots (mostly in this forum), but have never seen a description.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg