lippy

Brand-X Gear Bag

I picked up a Brand X gear bag back in December and I'm pretty disappointed with it. I don't think I've been too hard on it...I keep my rig, 2-3 jumpsuits and a logbook in there, as well as a few little odds and ends. My helmet back is usually clipped onto the side of my gear bag and I transport my weight belt separately.

A few months ago the top seam of the main compartment separated and that compartment started falling apart. I dropped it with the rigger and he reinforced that seam. A couple months later the bottom of the bag started to fall apart. Another trip to the rigger and another $30 and it was all back together.

Last Sunday as I was leaving the DZ, the other side of the top of the main compartment fell apart completely. I'm gonna junk this thing and get one from Para Gear that's not made in China. Anybody else have a similar experience with Brand X?
I got nuthin

I have no idea what "A3" is supposed mean. Anyone?

I "heard" it was meant as, Anytime, Anywhere, Anyplace. But, cannot verify.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I have no idea what "A3" is supposed mean. Anyone?

I "heard" it was meant as, Anytime, Anywhere, Anyplace. But, cannot verify.

Sounds like an ex of mine.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I had a Square 1 gear bag do the same thing, I brought it back and they exchanged it for a new one. Good service.

My thought was that the designation A3 had to do something with deploying/ mobility.

There are five mobility bags -- the personal bag and the A, B, C and D bags. To be deployment-ready, Airmen should understand what each of these bags contains and have the proper bags prepared.

All Airmen should have a personal mobility bag packed with the items they would need for 60 days. The personal bag contains the required uniforms, personal health and hygiene items, as well as many optional items which have proved helpful in deployed locations, such as raincoats, flashlights and skin-care lotions.

The A bag is a general purpose bag which includes a Kevlar helmet, web belt, body armor, sleeping bag, canteen kit, mess kit and other support items. The B bag is a cold-weather bag which includes a parka, gloves, boots and socks. The C bag is a chemical-defense bag which includes chemical warfare protective suit, protective mask, mask filters, gloves, hoods, boots and detection papers. The D bag is an aircrew chemical-defense bag and includes specialized in-flight protective equipment, such as coveralls and mask, mask filters, blower, gloves, hoods, boots, detection papers and kits.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I've always had a cheapo "jeep" brand roller carry-on bought from wal-mart that works just fine and doesn't have any wear showing in three years of use yet. It has plenty of room for two jump suits, my rig, and the front pocket for other crap. I just hang my helmet bag off the extending handle. I guess I never really understood why you'd have to have a sport specific "gear bag" when something like that works just fine.

Just hit up the surplus store...that place would be great to kill an afternoon in, too bad I had to get back to the office. I picked up one of these http://www.omahas.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_27&products_id=2309 and think it'll do the trick nicely.

Anybody wanna buy a slightly used, slightly destroyed Brand-X bag?:P

I got nuthin

Reviewed the IDF bag you purchased and like the size and compartments. I couldn't help but notice it says, "Replica." The recommended US Military Kit Bag that was hyperlinked and endorsed as a favorite among many is due to its durability and longevity because it is a very heavy canvas cloth, but is also sewn with nylon thread. Assuming you felt the cloth canvas and found it to be similar, it _may_ be worth a few bucks to a rigger to reinforce the stitching with nylon if it doesn't already have it. If it does, then please let me know so I can buy a couple as A and B bags for work.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

The big problem with the A3 bag is that the zipper isn't long enough to expose the contents. At full zip open, you still have a restricted opening to shoehorn big things into. (your parachute, your jumpsuit, etc.) It ain't that great. It is like a clamshell that has a narrow opening that is way too deep. Even if you replace the zipper with a longer one, it loses it's shape like a rag.

My advice is to get a rectangle bag that is "full zip" around three edges. there are many. Flip the "lid' open and it's all there. The military zip bag? Not so-not. Better have a flashlight to see to the bottom around bulky items. Yes it is tough, and won't break. Yup. If you are low on money and are willing to put up with the hassle, then get one. Is it easy to use? Nope. I have a couple in a junk pile to sell to anyone with the patience to use one.