DrunkMonkey

Travel

A question for well traveled Americans an all Europeans...

In the US, I've always felt bad that I never got to travel abroad until I graduated college and got a good job. But I have been to many different states (~22/50). But I still feel less travelled than most Europeans who've been to dozens of countries. It seems like for a person to go from Country X to Country Y in Europe is like going from Illinois to Texas, or from Kansas to Florida. Is "international" travel within Europe a dramatic thing, or is it like going from state to state in the US(i.e. no big deal)?

...But I will be going to Spain this summer. :)

From my family over there, they seem to think of it as traveling from state to state. Esp. now that the Euro is being use! I know it made my travel time over there much easier and like traveling from state to state.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Those 22 states probably equate to all of Europe in terms of size. Culturally it's not as diverse, but in either case if you just do the tourist type stuff, you're not going to experience much culture anyway no matter where you go. Compare a backwoods area of Louisiana with night life in Los Angeles. There's plenty of diversity.

Its not that dramatic, in fact its very easy, but it is interesting to see different cultures/architecture etc.
And you get to try lots of different beers.:)I really like the public transport systems, this makes travelling almost a joy, for example I was working in Germany a while back, my girlfriend got on a train in Amsterdam, I joined the train in Germany and we went on down to Prague for the weekend.

A long time ago I got a rail ticket that enabled me to get on almost any train in Europe, wake up in Spain and decide to go to Denmark for example....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I dont think that because the countries are so close together it means we become complaicent about travelling to them, I would think it was different to travelling through the different states in the US mainly due to the language differences, English is sometimes widely spoken, but obviously it isn't the first language.

Alot of Europeans travel round, say Eastern Europe during the summer and every country you go to is like a whole new culture, although the areas are close, the landscapes are often incredibly varied, not to mention the histories behind these places!

So I guess travelling Europe is quite easy to do, we have alot of easily accessible countries close together, but I wouldn't say that means travelling around them is not a big deal to us!

Despite how close they are, I still haven't managed to travel all that much of Europe. I think thats a weird thing, because England is so small, I think we see travelling distances very differently, I mean so many British people havent even been to Scotland or Ireland let alone half of the European countries! When I was in Australia they thought that was unbelieveable because they are just used to travelling such huge distances! :)
Just my views!!

Loves Beth xxx

PS If you get to take some time out and travel Europe, it's very cool!
------------------------------------------------------------

"This isn't flying...it's falling with style!" Buzz Lightyear - Toystory 1

The united states is more regionally diverse ie. West Coast, East coast, Midwest, Northern states, The South, with Honorable mention of Texas, AK and Hawaii.

Being a relatively new nation we have not had the time to become as culturally diverse as Europe and might never. Every European country offers a huge cultural difference from the next. All of these nations developed before the age of infomation and transportation and speak their own languages. It looks like now they're actually moving toward making less differences with eachother.

Anyway, European travel is an awesome experience (from an North American) Just leave your politics at home and travel with an open mind. Remember that each little European nation has lots of world history behind it, Each United State does not.

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky

I have traveled throughout Europe and never really had a problem. One remarkable characteristic I saw time and time again is that Europeans almost all carry passports. We Americans get passports when we need them because we don't need a passport to travel from state to state. For Europeans, the passport is almost a necessity of life. Each country has its diversity and cultural characteristics that make it unique so it is not exactly like traveling from state to state - and depending on the country, borders can be easy to cross or more difficult. Not hard, just different.
FGF #6
Darcy

you are right, it is easy to cross euro borders and the US has at least as much natural diversity as Europe (mountain ranges, deserts etc. But culturally it is completely different. Not only does each country have at least one language that some of its neighbours don't (often 2 or 3) but the way of life and culture in other countries can be totally different, you really feel like you have discovered somewhere new, rather than same people different background. Even going from what was east to west germany can still make a big difference.

Not to mention the fact that one city, say paris or florence can have more history than the entire US of A:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

really easy to travel from country to country.
as already said above, many countries, many beers...
quite hassle free to travel now with the EU, no more borders to cross etc etc...
where are you going in spain ?? is it for skydiving ??
is it empuriabrava ?? Lillo ??
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The passport issue is on another level then needing it all the time to travel.

Its just something thats part of whats normal to have there. Actually, you can travel all accross western europe without a passport now (except for them silly brits:P)...

That being said, cultural differences in Europe are so much more intense then they are accross the US or Canada. Heck, cultural differences within France, Spain or Italy (I name those because I know them more) are more visible then accross the US. England, well, I didnt find that there was that much variation witin it as their continental neighbours.

Languages are obviously a main reason for that, as are the local history, traditions and arts.
Remster

Well, trip is to jump and to explore. If I decide to make it a jump trip primarily, I'll bring my gear. If I only plan on making a jumpr or two, and go walkabout the rest of the trip, I cannot see lugging my gear bag with me.

I chose Spain because I can get a free flight to the American Airbase near Sevilla. itinerary will be freelance, divided between pubcrawling, running with the Hash House Harriers, and a few jumps. Gotta go to Toledo also, to buy a cool handmade sword.

I also speak the language semi-fluently, so that'd be no significant barrier.

Where can I get a rail pass here? I hear the good deals on AVE train passes are before you go...

Thx.
:D:ph34r:

I did the Europe thing with a bike and Eurailpass (http://www.eurailpass.com/). I found that on the Spain portion of our trip, we would have been better off, if not break even, to buy the tickets there as needed. Train travel was dirt cheap in Spain back then (http://www.renfe.es/. Things may have changed in 10 years! lol
Remster