skybytch

question for pilots...

My son is getting real close to taking his oral and practical for his private pilot license; weather permitting he hopes to be finishing up with his instructor over the next two weeks and doing the check ride before the end of this month.

To me this is an incredibly big deal. There aren't words to express how proud I am of him for getting to this point. He started this process when he was 16; he'd done about 10 hours and was close to soloing when he ran out of money (ie bought his truck;)). He decided he missed flying last summer so he got himself back in the sky and soloed on Labor Day weekend.

Other than a few hours he paid for with money he got for Xmas/birthday gifts he's done this entirely on his own - while working a $9 an hour job, paying his car related bills and paying off $2000+ in bills he ran up buying tools and a toolbox for the job.

So anyway, on to the point of this post. When he calls me to let me know that he passed the check ride in a few weeks I want to have a really cool "congrats dude you rock!" present all packaged up and ready to ship off to him. He already has a flight bag and a head set. My ex set him up with a flight computer and some other stuff that he'll need while he's working on his IFR rating. I can't afford to buy him an airplane.

I need ideas, preferably from other pilots. What would be something that a newly licensed private pilot would use often? Would you have preferred something useful as a gift at this point or would you have wanted something that commemorates achieving the goal of getting licensed instead?

I know I don't have that much experience (I've only got 10 hours so far towards my private pilot license), but I've been really hankering for a handheld gps unit.

http://www.garmin.com/aviation/products.html#portable

A handheld aviation radio would be nice too. Just to use as a backup.
we're extremely fortunate
not to know precisely
the kind of world we live in.
-W.Szymborska

For his Instrument:

A. Get a quality handheld radio. A MUST in the IFR
environment.
- ICOM IC-A23 Nav/Com Transceiver
-- Price: About $400
If he doesn't need the nav feature, it'll be $100 cheaper.....I'd get it though.

B. A quality, less expensive one is Sporty's SP-200
NAV/COM transceiver - (price $299)

C. Handheld GPS (with aviation database)
- Lowrance 500 Airmap (it's very
nice, easy to use)...(approx. $499)

Check with Sportys.com....their prices are a little higher, but they warranty the shit out of their products and back everything 100%.

For me a present that is useful would be best. But I'm olderB|..For him? Looks like he has most of other items already.

CASH is always great..... Congrats to him!

Buck

How much can you spend? A GPS unit would be very cool.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

That's super cool! I remember the day I passed my checkride - one of the best in my life!

Another suggestion would be a few hours of aerobatic lessons in an Extra 300 - I recently did that in Las Vegas and it was fantastic. The Extra is just a blast to fly. I think it made me a better pilot too. Here's where I did my lessons: [URL "http://www.aerobaticexperience.com/"]Clicky[/URL]

Best of luck & congrats in advance!

environment.

Ok....I have to ask...WHY is this a MUST in the IFR environment? IFR certified aircraft have 2 radios to begin with. In well over 6000 hours of flight time I've been NORDO once....and that was due to a lightning strike frying the entire electrical system. The only time I find a handheld COM a necessity is when I'm flying the Pitts S-1 or the Skybolt(neither of which have an electrical system) in or around a controlled environment.

I think the GPS is a good idea. Lisa, something to consider is finding one of the large pilot supply shops and getting a gift certificate/credit with one of them so that he can choose a GPS. I'm sure if you ask around here about specific GPS systems you'll get good feedback and be able to make a good choice, though.

A few good places are....

Sporty's

Marv Golden This place is in San Diego...right next to Montgomery Field

Aircraft Spruce and Specialty

Mike

Ok....I have to ask...WHY is this a MUST in the IFR environment? IFR certified aircraft have 2 radios to begin with.

Handheld Radio = Backup

A handheld radio saved my bacon once in IMC after a complete electrical failure. We got a Radar approach into MCI no problem. We lost the electrical half way down the VOR 3 at MKC with the tall buildings just to our side. Yipes! Yah, it might be rare but it's great to have if you're in a bind.

But a more practical thing to get would be the handheld GPS. I use mine all the time. I have a Garmin GPS III Pilot. I recommend this as its price has come way down and it does a lot too. It doesn't have the largest screen but it does just fine. I used it to spot the World Record drops in 1998 at Ottawa and anyone who was on those attempts can attest to how accurate the spots were. It's a handy little tool and not big or bulky like some large screen GPSs.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

#1 would be a aviation quality GPS.

If you want something different you could buy him an add-on glider rating. It would be more expensive than a GPS ( roughly about $1400.00 ) but he will be current in a piston single and transition nicely. He has one of the best schools right in his back yard to take advantage of. Its a hell of a lot of fun.

An airbatic introduction to yankin' bankin in some birds designed for this purpose with instructors that know what they are doing. Probably cheaper than the GPS idea, but he will have to drive to John Wayne or long beach.

Find out what his interest is, what your budget can afford and go from there.

An airbatic introduction to yankin' bankin in some birds designed for this purpose with instructors that know what they are doing.

Ok, I totally change my mind. What VectorBoy said. Definitely some "airbatic" time! This would put a grin on your boys face...B|

An airbatic introduction to yankin' bankin in some birds designed for this purpose with instructors that know what they are doing. Probably cheaper than the GPS idea, but he will have to drive to John Wayne or long beach.

Long Beach is a great place in SoCal for entry level aerobatics and basic spin training. There is a school there called Hart Air(www.hartair.com) that has several Robin Sport aerobatic trainers. I have spent a fair amount of time training in those...they are great entry level aerobatic/spin trainers. I used to take all my students up for mandatory spin training prior to solo....and about 95% of them continued on with some form of aerobatic training.

Hart Air used to have a Pitts S-2B and an Extra 300 that I used to fly on occasion...but I don't see them on their current website...so they may have gotten rid of them.

Mike

Lisa,
If you want something that he can use for years, go to this site and get him a really cool leather flight jacket. My ex got me one soon after I got my lic. Still have the jacket and wear it often. The ex, well thats a different story.:P
Sparky

http://www.flightsuits.com/

PS: You have every right to be proud of him.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

environment.

Ok....I have to ask...WHY is this a MUST in the IFR environment? IFR certified aircraft have 2 radios to begin with.

You don't have to have 2 radios to be IFR certified.

I have a handheld radio that I use mostly for getting the wheather and for student solos. Not a bad gift choice, especially if you are normally flying in GPS-equipped planes.

I dunno. The plane he rents is not GPS equipped. GPS is damn cool but shouldn't he spend time getting good at navigating the old fashioned way before he starts using one?

Kinda like the audible debate?

It would help if you gave a price range.

You say he already has a headset? Well if its a cheapie...Get him a good one. David Clarks are very nice..even the cheap ones.

A GPS is a good idea...Its a neat wizbang toy, and it can be a very good save your ass toy. And like I said they are fun to play with.

One things that is very nice and kinda cheap is a license plaque: http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&did=19&product_id=1754

You could also just help him out some with his instrument ticket if he plans on going on.

Acro lessons are great...I am getting ready to start getting some time in an Extra here soon.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I got a video in the mail about 1.5 years ago from AOPA titled 'Lost and Crossed.' It was targeted to address the growing popularity and dependence on GPS in the GA community. It start out with the pilot in his preflight setting up his GPS. Mentions the importance of extra batteries, so here they are. Good for him. Midflight his GPS dies. Spare batteries? In his flight bag back in the baggage hold. Checks his VORs and he's in a dead spot. Whoops.

Everything the flight examiner asks during his exam will be targeted to safety. What's the endurance of his 152? Four hours- correct but unsafe. Flying four hours in a 152 will leave a 15 minute reserve. For a short field takeoff use the entire runway and an additional option would be to get out and push the plane back to the edge. If you have to do that, should you even be taking off right now?

The examiner will also try and get David flustered and throw things at him that he might not expect. Up until now everyone has been a licensed, experienced pilot. Throw in a normal person and strange things will happen. I walked up to the plane with the examiner and the first thing he did was stick his arm through the prop arc into the cowling. Grab it and yank it back. He starts fiddling with the controls? Slap his hands off. He starts asking other questions and other stuff? Ignore him- deal with the airplane first, passengers second.

The practical will be tough. Everything will come at him bang-bang-bang. Maneuvers will be quick and cockpit tasks will be thrown at him in quick succession. He needs to be ready.

Chime in pilots- was your practical tough as hell? What happened to you?

As far as a 'grad gift' check out the Barry Schiff book series. It's a license to learn, so fill his empty head with knowledge!