damion75

Smells and memories

Ok - not that kind of smell!! I am not talking the one which fills the plane as you go through 8000' and makes the pilot get his air freshener out!:o

I find that of all the senses, the one which brings back the memories best is smell. So lets have some smell memories... (a brave call I think!!:P)

For me?

1. American coffee - tastes IMHO like sh*t, but the smell reminds me of being in the US, and since most of my trips there are skydiving related, this is a GOOD memory!B|B|

2. Certain perfumes, certain g/fs - nuff said:S

3. The smell of schools. Went to visit a mate who is a teacher and that disgusting mix of toilets and whiteboard pens brought loads of memories back...:P

I'm sure there are more but I have gone on long enough...

Your turn...:)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

aw gag, um army coffee..
it is horible yet all you get when you are in the brush.
With my Military Ocupational Specialty most of the time I get it its coold. But the caffeene(sp) is still there. Now whenever I smell coffee I think of being in the middle of nowhere, laying in the dirt, calling up a SIT REP!

You're so right on about the smells, and they affect me strongly. I have some weird ones though :P.

1. That musty (not moldy) scent that reminds me of the Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean, my favorite childhood ride (and still favorite :)
2. The exhaust of passing busses never fails to remind me of walking around in London

3.And of course now certain exhausty smells remind me of the DZ. I must like the smell of fuel! :D
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

So many smells evoke so many memories! But a few favs:

Fresh cut grass reminds me of childhood... playing outside in the spring and summer and the smell of grass wafting in through open school windows.

Cake baking - childhood birthdays/mom.:)
The acrid smell of rain on pavement - reminds me of sitting on the porch with my dad and watching the storm roll in. Oh, how I miss that simple pleasure!

And the best smell of all...... RIG! Nuthin' beats that intoxicating smell! When my leg was shattered and I couldn't jump, I would open up my gear bag and just inhale. YUM!

Hey - remember the smell of fresh dittos from elementary school? Fresh dittos - when the paper was cool and damp from the ink. B|

Fall in dove.

3.And of course now certain exhausty smells remind me of the DZ. I must like the smell of fuel!

Yeah, that smell when the engine fires up in the morning for load 1, sort of mix of exhaust, unburnt jet A and a bit of burnt oil.
I just remember that smell and it makes me think of sitting in the plane, feet wet from the dew, sun climbing in the sky, the chill still in the air and mostly that incredible anticipation of the third or fourth solo jump when it's all so new, just me and the sky.
Dear god I need to jump right now.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

That first lift smell! Definitely... when the sun is only just properly up and it is still a bit cold.

Passing through 8k thinking about all those poor saps who are still in bed! B| and the prospect of a bacon roll when you get down...:)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

That first lift smell! Definitely... when the sun is only just properly up and it is still a bit cold.

Passing through 8k thinking about all those poor saps who are still in bed! B| and the prospect of a bacon roll when you get down...:)

Wow, sounds so sensual... what a great morning. And BTW, glad I can make you chuckle. :)
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

And I am very glad that you find bacon rolls sensual!:PB|

That makes you a very good person in my book. MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - bacon!!B|:)

The ONLY reason to get up in the mornings...

For years I couldn't use shaving gel. I hadn't ever used it until I went to Air Force basic training. Every time I smelled it I thought I was back in San Antonio. Yuck! It's taken a long time but I'm OK with it now. :D

Had several things give me a SERIOUS flash back once. The thing that really prompted it was the smell of diesel exhaust from my brother's truck. We went out to his barn one night to hook up a trailer. It was raining lightly and as I got out I was putting on my Gortex jacket (One from the military) which also has it's own smell. The combo of rain, night, gortex, and diesel exhaust put me right back in the field. For a second or so I really wondered where I was. I thought I was getting out of a Humvee.....and where is my weapon? Very surreal experience. Very vivid flashback.

There are many others like the time I took a shirt out of a box. I hadn't worn it in probably a year. The last place I had worn it was on a hunting trip in Montana. It still had a very strong smell of the evergreen trees up there. The smell is unique to the higher mountains there and very strong. As soon as the smell hit me it was like I was back standing in the "Lost Meadows" listening for the bugle of an elk.

Still hate the smell of Pine Sol. Reminds me of many differen't places in the military. :S

So many smells bring back a ton of memories, just like music does. My two favorites are the smell of ocean air when I wake up in the morning and night blooming jasmin. Both remind me of growing up as a teenager in San Diego. Some mornings I'll wake up here in Puerto Rico and I get a whiff of the ocean a few blocks away and I have to think for a sec about where I'm at.

Problems just be opportunities in der workin' clothes.