kansasskydiver

MySQL

Yes, I program the crap out of it. it's totally my bitch. ;) Seriously, it's what my company does.

It's pretty easy to learn. A good place to start for MySQL are these books.

There's even a 'for dummies' book if you like that kind of thing. The best way to learn is to set up Fedora on an old PC, install MySQL and phpMyAdmin and start messing with it.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

i found an online tutor to teach me it pretty nice

create table kansasskydiver
(first varchar, last varchar, age number, dz varchar);

insert into kansasskydiver
(first, last, age, dz)
valvues ('Chris', 'Armstrong'. '22', 'KSUPC');

update kansasskydiver
set first = 'Christopher'
where first = 'Chris';

select * from kansasskydiver
where first LIKE '%Chris%';

I'm pretty impressed lol once i figured out what the heck sql was i'm good to go.
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Cool, I'm not the only computer geek here. I was actually surprised at the number of responses I got to my shirt when I jumped at Elsinore this past weekend. It read: "There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary and those who don't." :D I have 3 more super-geeky shirts like that too...LoL. Michele was the first to come up to me and make a comment. And I'm really glad she did because otherwise I may have never struck up a conversation with her and gotten to know her.

Anyway, I learned some basic MySQL stuff for a personal page I did that had a database of pictures and captions. That's when I also taught myself PHP, which interfaced beautifully with MySQL. What a cool language for dynamic pages, let me tell you!! It's so much like C, so that made things really easy.

MySQL is very nice, and easy to learn, I think. The docs on their web site tell you pretty much everything you need to know. I have a huge book on SQL programming and have only read the first 2 or 3 pages so far. LoL.

Linux for life!

~Lou

Linux for life!

Don't even get me started on you ;)

Kansasskydiver:
As for the SQL part. SQL is SQL - there are normally some minor differences between each companies flavor (MySQL, T-SQL, PL-SQL,etc) but the basic concepts remain the same, as does much of the syntax. Normally the differences are in the creation/deletion of objects, cursors, etc.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I'm a DBA and use SQL each and every day (lucky me), its very easy to learn, do you have any previous knowledge of any other programming languages?

I actually learnt while I was at University by using the SQL script in MS Access (boo hiss yes I know) which is slighty different to standard SQL, but it gives you a good idea of what you are doing especially if you are already familiar with Microsoft products.

~~~ London Skydivers ~~~

SQL is whats called a 5th generation language, and is characterised as being most like human language. Literally, SQL is the kind of language where you write out a sentence that asks for a specific result.

I'm entirely self-taugh in SQL. There are countless very good books on how to teach yourself. I won't recomend any, because I haven't seen one in about 8 years.

I will say that SQL is by far the easiest "programing" language you'll ever learn, if you use it regularly.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

SQL?

Fucking simple dude! Just grab a good book on it and go , that's all you need. The rest of the more complext problems you face can be answered on the internet.

Are you building a front end for it, if so, whatcha using?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

SQL is whats called a 5th generation language, and is characterised as being most like human language. Literally, SQL is the kind of language where you write out a sentence that asks for a specific result.

hehe, real programmers use assembler language...

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

hehe, real programmers use assembler language...

No argument from me. Only because of a few minor exceptions do I even consider SQL a programming language. It is for the most part simply a reporting tool...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

If you really want to go far with a free SQL database, I'd suggest installing PostgreSQL (if you run Unix) or the free versions of Oracle 9i or 10g (warning, massive downloads). As you get further into it, the various MySQL quirks will get old fast, and once you start using stored procedures, triggers, and subqueries (none of which stable MySQL supports yet) you will never want to go back.

That's HILARIOUS!!!

but that's not SQL!;)

LOL yeah I know I was replying to

Cool, I'm not the only computer geek here. I was actually surprised at the number of responses I got to my shirt when I jumped at Elsinore this past weekend. It read: "There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary and those who don't."

My girlfriend hates when I wear Unix shirts! That one was one of my favorites so I wanted to share it with loudog B|

There are 2 types of people in this world: those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't. --Bill Murray

ok so i have apache installed on my machine, how the hell do i get mysql and php installed? the setup.exe for sql does nothing, not even from the command line...

ok this is pissing me off, why won't it install. i've followed the instructions and it does Nothing
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

What instructions are you using? IIRC correctly, there a several good tutorials on installing Apache, PHP, and MySQL under Windows.

Edit: tutorial - haven't read the whole thing, but it looks promising.

Edit again: This one is a little terse, but it includes directions for slightly newer versions of PHP and MySQL, as well as Apache 2

Just for kicks I'll post the rest of my shirts...you might find me at the DZ with this one:

$> cd /pub
$> more beer

or how bout this:

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

And finally, funny and sooo true, is:

$> man woman
Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I must not be a true nerd yet, I only understood that one :)

Bugger.. that means I'm doomed :P

Oh and for any horny linux geeks:

talk touch finger unzip mount gasp yes yes yes umount sleep

:D

'buttplugs? where?' - geno