DSE

QUIET full face helmet

Spot, we of the large melon club have limited choices. Bonehead run larger, so does the FreeZr and the Cookie Gas does as well. I have the Mamba and it is pretty quite. I can bring it to SLC if you want to try it.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Probably tried 75% of the helmets on the market and would suggest taking this for a test spin...

http://www.parachuteshop.com/oxygn_a3_helmet.htm

That thing not only wouldn't fit my head....it wouldn't even fit over the POINT on my head! :ph34r:

The only way it would be a quiet helmet for a fat melon guy is if he got one for each ear and used 'em like earplugs! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Oh c'mon...
Sky Systems makes it in an XL.5 and my head is an even 23.5"
Its the best fitting and quietest helmet I've ever owned.

You know the one, Jim. the custom blue marbled bowling ball looking one.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Oh c'mon...
Sky Systems makes it in an XL.5 and my head is an even 23.5"
Its the best fitting and quietest helmet I've ever owned.

Pinhead. :P 24" here and I tried on the biggest SkySystems helmets a couple years ago at Skyfest and ... no dice. I'm sure they're lovely helmets, they just don't work for my head. I can wear the Mamba XXL but wasn't a fan of how it hit the face, and I've heard that the Cookie Gas also works but haven't tried it yet. I have the FreeZR2 (only had to get the XL, not the XXL) and couldn't be happier with it.

Of course, I think full faces are even more challenging than open for the members of the Freakishly Large Head Club® because getting the right fit is not just about the size of the head, it's about the shape.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have an advantage with the whole Vin Diesel look. While my skull may be larger than yours, the whole thick hair thing puts you at a disadvantage... ;)

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I have an advantage with the whole Vin Diesel look. While my skull may be larger than yours, the whole thick hair thing puts you at a disadvantage... ;)

Like I said....I thought that WAS a bowling ball! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

smartass

Although I did start out a operations & logistics seminar in Savannah, GA. with, "Allow me to introduce myself; Yes, I am the illegitimate child of Jesse Ventura and Vin Diesel." :D

Probably tried 75% of the helmets on the market and would suggest taking this for a test spin...

http://www.parachuteshop.com/oxygn_a3_helmet.htm

I know that some others have noted that the Oxygn sizes aren't as large as some other brands, but I should also point out another potential issue with the "quiet" requirement. If you have a Pro-Track or Pro-Dytter (these exact models) it might be ok for you. I have a Solo and an Optima, which while also L&B products, have a smaller body than the older products and don't really fit snugly into the external slot for mounting an audible. Jumping without something of the right size in that slot tends to create turbulence at the side of the helmet which is quite noisy. I ended up fixing the problem by taping over the slot and cutting a pocket for my optima into the foam of the helmet, but if I'd had more time to consider the purchase ahead of time, it would have made sense to get the Oxygn, not the Oxygn A3. Food for thought on the off-chance that an Oxygn will fit you.

I'd also point out that the visor system on the Oxygn helmets is pretty hit and miss. I've seen a few that work very well, but most I've seen (mine included) are difficult to open and even more difficult to close again. As a result, many Oxygn owners never open and close their visors. Some even tape them shut which makes you wonder why not just get a Factory diver if you never open the visor.

I'd also point out that the visor system on the Oxygn helmets is pretty hit and miss. I've seen a few that work very well, but most I've seen (mine included) are difficult to open and even more difficult to close again. As a result, many Oxygn owners never open and close their visors. Some even tape them shut which makes you wonder why not just get a Factory diver if you never open the visor.

There's a definite knack to the OXYGN visor. It IS explained in the instructions, but I've noticed that Americans don't usually read instructions. Once you figure it out it is very easy.

I put in a new visor every year and I rub some silicone lubricant on the rubber frame at the top of each new visor, which makes it easier to open and close.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

There's a definite knack to the OXYGN visor.

Possibly, however, I have a friend with an Oxygn. He can open and close it easily. I can open and close it easily. He didn't do anything special to make it that way, it's just been that way ever since he bought it. Both he and I have some difficulty opening mine and great difficulty closing it.

I've replaced the visor once so far. I read the instructions when doing so and opening/closing was pretty much the same as it was after the change as it was with the factory original.

There may be a knack, but it also seems clear to me that some Oxygn helmets are easier to open and close than others.

Can you suggest the particular lubricant you use? I've thought of lubes but want to avoid something that's not going to stay put. Having some kind of oil or light grease spread across the visor in freefall would be annoying, but maybe I'm worrying about nothing.

Remember that when using oxygen, oil is a bad thing.

....just sayin' ;)

Use KY, good for lots of things.

One of them isn't window putty! :S

Sounds like you have history with that. No wonder your wife does all the chores around your house.:S
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity