arcane

Which Rig

Hi,
am in the process of choosing myself a new container. Have narrowed it down to one of the following...

Javelin Odysessy
UPT Micron
Infinity

will be doing a bit of everything, RW, instructing, freeflying, wingsuiting.

Thoughts, opinions, advice, all welcome.

Cheers

Ryan

You're going to get about a million different answers to this, everyone saying that they prefer such and such...

base price:
(at chuting star)
infinity $1,799
vector 3 $1,790
javelin $2,349

options will kick your ass on some rigs, my v-3m would cost easily over 3 grand just for the container, if I paid full price.

All of the rigs made nowdays are safe, they're designed differently to fit differently...

Try to find someone that has these rigs around and take a look at them, see if you like how they look/feel and make your call.

As far as I know the Javelin also has a skyhook option, and that was one of my big reasons for ordering the V3-M, but, you might not want it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

At the end of the day, you'll be absolutely delighted with whichever one you get.

Personally, I went for the Vector 3, as I felt the "upwards" pin protection was far better in the plane than the "downwards" pin protection the Javelin uses.

I know Javelin now offer the Skyhook, but that was another reason I went for the Vector 3.

One thing that surprised me is just how good the magnetic risers on the Vector 3 are. Occasionally, they can be irritating if you've just landed, and one of your lines gets wrapped between them, just as they "magnet" shut, but that's a rare, and preventable occurrence to say the least!

I will soon be ordering a Javelin Odyssey for my University Skydiving Club - the reason being that the DZ we use uses them, thus facilitating the minimizing of packing errors/additional training required etc. (In the UK, you need to be signed off to pack the equipment you're jumping - not sure if its the same in the USA (but of course, you're a UK jumper, so you know this :D)).

I've never jumped an Infinity, but am told they're solid rigs ;)

One thing I never thought of, but have enjoyed, is I find changing the closing loop on my V3 far easier than it was on the Javelins (I don't have to take the bag out of the container to do it), so I feel more inclined to do this before "that next jump" rather than after!

I use my Vector 3 for freeflying, flatflying, wingsuiting (and hopefully soon, instructing as well ;)) its been phenomenal so far :D

Kind of an off-topic musing, but I really do wish VSE would put a Skyhook (or whatever MARD) on the Infinity.

They really are lovely rigs.

Joel
Covets the precious
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Wonderhog.:P

SweetHog!

Seriously though.... not gonna say anything bad about any other rig but my Vector is the shit! I love it in every way.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

base price:
(at chuting star)
infinity $1,799
vector 3 $1,790
javelin $2,349

***ouch**** :o

the next century costs something like 2300 euros; but includes all options; the vector, with all options, almost doubles the base price..

prolly depends on what is offered with the javelin..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

base price:
(at chuting star)
infinity $1,799
vector 3 $1,790
javelin $2,349

the next century costs something like 2300 euros; but includes all options; the vector, with all options, almost doubles the base price..

2,300 Euros = 2,971.14 U.S. dollars

And according to Chutingstar's website thats base price, no options (that I saw)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

base price:
(at chuting star)
infinity $1,799
vector 3 $1,790
javelin $2,349

2,300 Euros = 2,971.14 U.S. dollars

And according to Chutingstar's website thats base price, no options (that I saw)

there are no options to the next century, it has all of them..

anyway, pretty much every container the way you'd want it, costs around 3000$..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

For some reason I ended up with a lovely, extremely costumized (costum colors and embroidery, there is nothing like it in the world) Aerodyne Icon. 8 weeks delivery time, but the stock rigs are said to be ready in two weeks!B|

It works and is comfortable. And they come with the skyhook now.:)
That's me wearing it in front of the picture. It's the red one with the flame embroidery in the sides.

But I'm sure the Odyssey and Micron are good too, I don't know much about the Infinity, so I can't say anything about it.

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Adding articulation, stainless hardware, floating laterals, and mesh backpad will cost an extra $600. Added to the base of $1799 a very well optioned Infinity will be $2399. I am one of those that isn't at all convinced of the value of articulation/floating laterals/backpads and have two rigs from them with no more than stainless and pinstripes for a total of $190 of options.

I suppose keeping that price down for a european might mean avoiding VAT and such with a flight across to pick it up yourself (or just paying the tax), so I suppose it gets closer to 3k if you include that. :D

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am