Kiki

Ways to tell Parents you skydive

Tell him your friend "Jenny" is in trouble because her dad found out she skydives.... and that she needs a place to stay for a few days til he cools down. See how he reacts . Tell him how passionate she is in the sport and that she won't quit jumping but doesn't want to hurt her dad etc. He might feel sorry for her. THEN pop in the videos. Then tell him you love him and that if he wants to come out to the dz to watch, you would be delighted.
My parents tried to bribe me out of the sport by offering free flight lessons til i become a licensed pilot.... if i never jump again. I had to laugh. This boy doesn't sell out... not to skydiving. That was 8 years ago. Still not a pilot.But a canopy pilot !
They still have yet to see a jump.

Hmmm, telling the folks, lets see i think it went something like this.

Hey mom i've found a great way to relieve some of the stress school puts on me
really, hows that
jumping out of planes, i start aff next week
silence
mom...

(couple of minutes of banter about the value of life, am i sure can she change her mind.. yadda yadda yadda)

you haven't told your father yet have you
no
don't yet, and call me the minute you get down from the jump, call me before the jump, hell call me on the plane.

(fast forward to summer/fall break when i get home)
hey dad check this video(some shots of me after aff in a couple 2ways, 3ways and 4ways) dad just kinda sits there watching, who's this idiot and why is he jum.... evil eye, then the typical speech don't like it yadda yadda yadaa what are you thinking etc..

cut to today they still ask me when i'm gonna grow out of it. But they have become a lot more receptive now. all my family has. asking if i'm still doing it and then the typical wuffo questions. it's more of a laughing matter conversation start for my parents. ya he's a skydiver

one thing you might consider is having your log book with you when you do break the news. If you had really great instructors and some good aff you'll have some nice comments in your log book. showing them what your instructors said might help alleviate some of the tension etc.. especially explaining the amount of training aff instructors go through.

but thats just my opinion. hope it helps

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

LOL, my mom hadn't figured it out until I had about 15 jumps - I left my logbook on the kitchen table. My advice??? THis is not the way to do it

I agree. I had like 6 jumps when a chick i know found out, told my sister, who told my parents. man i got some angry phone calls that night. :|

I would go with what someone else said, tell em you found a really cool club at school, great way to relieve stress, etc. then break it to em your skydiving.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Many parents are surprised to learn that their loved one is skydiving. They are of course afraid, but they often do little to ameliorate their fears. Rather than shy away, parents should become knowledgeable about the sport and buy their loved one suitable gear that is new or in top notch condition, i.e., do what they can to protect their loved ones!

My sister and I did a static line jump together about 3 yrs ago. I invited the parents up for a little league game that my son was playing in, didn't mention anything about their two kids jumping from an airplane. Called my wife on our lunch break to have her bring the parents out. I guess mom asked my wife, "Why are we at the airport?" just as a couple canopies opened, and they walked in the hanger as we were suiting up. Boy that was fun, but not nearly as fun as the plane having engine trouble just before take off, so she could sit around awhile thinking about it while they fixed the plane. She's cool with it now though, even thinking about doing a tandem this summer. My dad is a little ticked just cause he couldn't get me on a step ladder when I was a kid and now I'm jumping from a plane at 13000 LOL
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

tell him then duck behind the table, then run, then hide, then never talk to him again....

no man take him to see it.

My folks both came out and watched me so they know what i do and how it is not a wierd as everyone seems....
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

parents should become knowledgeable about the sport and buy their loved one suitable gear that is new or in top notch condition, i.e., do what they can to protect their loved ones!

I suggested that to my dad. He laughed at said "Yeah, well be careful" LOL
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

I guess I was lucky. I told my parents before I jumped. My dad wasn't thrilled about it, and still isn't. He thinks I should study more and take up tennis or golf lol and he knows I spend a lot of money on it as well, but he lived and although he's never been interested in anything I have to share about the sport, he doesn't say much about it.

My mom was actually there for my first jump, she didn't mind really at all as she said "it's just kinda you" 4 jumps into my progression my good friend died jumping. I told both my parents and I can't really remember either one of them freaking out or anything. I explained well what happen and assured them I'd never fly a wingsuit (oops:D).

My concern Kayla has always been the same with parents not knowing. I'd rather they did than me have to make the phone call representing the club letting them know that you are in the hospital after your X amount of jumps. I really don't ever want to make the call, and I'm the one who would if it ever happen with any of my students.

Don't brag to your dad about it, just tell him you found interest in aviation and decided the best way to take it up was to skydive. You tried one jump and think you'll continue with it. Give him more informaiton about it, reserve data, cypres, or even the 2003 stats that show what the percentages of falalities are. If he argues, remind him that every morning he wakes up he's taking a risk.

I don't know him, but I think he'll understand, or I can do it the old fashion way and mail your first jump certificate to your perm address instead and have them find out that way:P

edit: Another way would be to go "Well my boyfriend made me" make sure he's in Spain already though:D
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

didn't really have to tel my parents about my first jump.. it was more like begging my mom to sign the waiver.. i was 17 and still had amonth before my 18th birthday....me andmy twins sister ended up going and had a greattime... when i owned my motorcycle my mom rathered me skydive than ride it............. theyhave never seen me skydive (ie land) in person before thoug, but have watched a couple jumps i showed them on tape and they thought it was pretty cool..... my mom even said if i could quit smoking she wold make a tandem jump... so far she hasbn't, but neither have i fufliled my part of the bargin.........

Whatever advice you take, you could include with that a video of one of your jumps that clearly shows how happy you are when you jump, before during and after. Parents don't generally like to deny their children's happiness. If you can show them this it may outweigh their fears of you doing this sport, which is where I believe the root of the problem lyes ie:their fear.
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

Whatever advice you take, you could include with that a video of one of your jumps that clearly shows how happy you are when you jump, before during and after. Parents don't generally like to deny their children's happiness. If you can show them this it may outweigh their fears of you doing this sport, which is where I believe the root of the problem lyes ie:their fear.
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

Chris,
Your right I think that is my best bet, just tell him i found an intrest and I have and I have tried it and I would really like to continue. Hehe and sorry im not blaming this on chris. Sorry hehe;)
Just because I appear sweet doesn't mean I can't kick your ass!

Most parents just want to see their kids be happy. My parents know just how happy skydiving makes me. They could see how my personality shifted and the corners of my mouth tended to curve upward instead of downward once I discovered the joy of flight. So even though they know it is a risky sport, they also know my life is much richer because of it. And they have come to accept that if I die skydiving, at least I died happy, fulfilled and doing what I love. :)
Maybe you can get your dad to come out to the dz with you? Just to see what it's like. At most dz's the comraderie is easily apparent and there is no shortage of smiles and laughter. And when he sees so many different types of people (male and female, young and old, black, white and every other color...) it won't seem like such a far-fetched, extreme thing anymore. Just a thought.:)

Fall in dove.

my father wasn't keen to the idea
until i invited him along, handed him a camera and told him i was going to be the one in the safety yellow shirt. so he could spot me of course.
after that, my father was so impressed, he pays for most of my dives as long as he can come and watch:)
and take pictures

my father was so impressed, he pays for most of my dives as long as he can come and watch:)

he wouldn't want to adopt a 23 year old son would he.................. you can tell him i have a steady job, good teeth, and am learned real good in edukation.......

Many parents are surprised to learn that their loved one is skydiving. They are of course afraid, but they often do little to ameliorate their fears. Rather than shy away, parents should become knowledgeable about the sport and buy their loved one suitable gear that is new or in top notch condition, i.e., do what they can to protect their loved ones!

Great rationalization for B-day and Christmas presents.B|

"Mom, Dad, I am not going to quit skydiving. If my safety matters to you that much. Buy me the best gear so that I am the safest I can be.":D

Calling my folks now . . .

I jumped before I was 18 and had to get my folks to sign the waiver... The funny thing is they signed it thinking I wouldn't have the balls to jump :)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Don't worry bout it, they'll eventually get used to the idea, well they wont really have a choice :P. I first told them i wanted to skydive when i was 16, at first they flipped out and said they would never let me, but a few months after they signed my waiver B| and now i jump regularly. They even give me rides to the dropzone and help me pay off some of my jumps. Just give them time!

Piss on them.

Whose life is it anyway?

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Weeeeeee, Kiki, isn't being a "rebel" fun?

I was forbidden to ride a motorcycle so when I was bequeathed the bike that belonged to a good friend's dad who passed away I kept it at another friend's place... took them 2 years to find out and [mr. garrison voice] deception is baad, nn-kay [/mr. garrison voice]. I was living at home at the time and I did and do get along great with my rents, though they are a bit risk-averse (well, except Dad likes his chainsaw as much as mom hates it, yet mom sometimes does needlepoint without a thimble:P. Seriously, they had friends involved in a m/c accident)

Aaaaanyway, back to skydiving and how I told them. September long weekend I bailed on heading out of town for a sports car race and they said they'd like me to join the family at the cottage - I told them I had "stuff" to do but I'd be out later in the weekend. I THOUGHT I could get away with the stealth FJC ... except bfore I'd even set foot in the real plane I ran my head into the back of our "practice Cessna" (a wrecked fuselage set about 8 feet off the ground with a strut and "the slide" used to simulate the s/l exit. This "malfunction" left a visible cut across right my forehead (they never told us to wear helmets to the mockup exercise :P).

[the scene] The breakfast table on the porch, the next day, 10:00 ish. Dave arrived well after all were asleep the night before and himself looks like he could use another hour. He grabs a section of Sunday paper and begins to read.

[mom] "We're glad you made it out David, you so seldom ... [inquisitive and somewhat distraught parent in slightly raised voice] what did you do to your forehead??"

[Dave] [Dave gives a slight pause and remembers the motorcycle incident] mmm, it's kindof a funny story, Mom, I had a minor skydiving mishap ...

[dad] You did what? When...? Yesterday? How did it happen ... I bet you enjoyed the jump a lot ... are you going to go again?

This is a true story. I made 15 jumps that fall and everyone got sick of hearing me talk about "how it had changed my life". That winter was the longest six months of my life but by the end of it everybody knew I was headed for a long involvement in the sport.

Opening weekend 2002 I had my BEER! cutaway. That was a slightly more difficult conversation (they still ask me how my weekends have gone). A few weeks later they came out to the DZ and were "greeted" by a white faced tandem-master and a soaking wet, mud-covered student - Mom and Dad missed witnessing the (as yet, fingers crossed) first tandem mal by a few minutes. That student, BTW, is now one of our competition judges :)
From your profile, Kiki, it sounds like (especially) dad-i-o is a weee bit protective yet. I've no idea of your age but my motorcycle episode happened in my early 20's and skydiving was about 10 years later. Little by little you will find that the 'rents will start acknowledging you as your own person - and later they may even brag about your current exploits which now evoke only concern and displeasure.

Now go and play, guilt free!

-Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I had been in Las Vegas flying aerobatics (which they knew about & approved of). I called home after skydiving (which wasn't something I'd planned to do - just sorta happened) - and said to my mother that I'd done something she wouldn't be happy about. It took her one guess "you didn't go SKYDIVING did you?" - I just laughed and she knew (but it was better since I'd obviously survived the experience). My mother loves to worry, but at the end of the day she knows that I'm an adult and don't take stupid risks. I even showed them the video from my first tandem. She still doesn't want me to tell her before I'm going, but when I say "I'm going to be out all day Saturday", she kinda knows what I'm up to. :P

I'm sure my name will be mud after I take my brother out to the DZ for his first tandem tomorrow (weather permitting). Oh well, they'll get over it. ;)

Blue Skies