quesera

Newbie jump suit question

I'm ready (sort of) to order my first jump suit. I'm thinking of ordering one of these: http://www.tonysuits.com/products/swoop_suit.php

I'm going to order it without booties, since I'm still learning, but I'm not sure what to do about the fabric choices. I've been told I should stick with some slicker fabrics, to help me fall a little faster and keep up (I'm about 125lbs).

Does anyone have any tips? What worked for your first suit? What do you wish you had done differently?

Also, I'm thinking of ordering it mostly black, with purple grips. Is it considered foolish to have dark grips, or can people still see them fine?

Thanks!!

At 125 pounds, you'll probably be happier with the Pit Special over the Swoop Suit. IIRC, the Swoop Suit is designed for average to larger sized jumpers; the Pit Special is a tighter fitting suit designed for smaller, lighter jumpers.

Best advice I can give is to call the manufacturer you have decided on and ask them which of their suits and which fabrics will work best for your body size/shape and how you want to skydive.

Get the booties on an RW suit.

Your color choices are fine, but know that black can get uncomfortably warm in the summer heat.

I'm not an instructor or something, but this is what my experiences are with my first jumpsuit:
I ordered one at my rigger. I oredered one with booties, the reason is (as I was being told by an FS jumper), that when I should've buy such an suit, I should just as well get booties right away, because I can instantely learn to fly with them, and if I don't want to use them, I can fold them to the inside.

About the grips, I got a black suit, with red grips, the people at my DZ told that it was a smart choise, because they are clear to see. I saw someone with a black suit, and black grips, they also were clear to see, but that was because they had a blue line around them, so don't know how it'll look without the blue, but ill guess it'll be pretty hard to see or find them..

Hope you're finding this information usefull

Good luck with your choise and blue skies!

Pit.... Made for the smaller person.

Get the booties.... You can always not use them till you are ready, but then it would suck to have to buy another suit.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Also, I'm thinking of ordering it mostly black, with purple grips. Is it considered foolish to have dark grips, or can people still see them fine?

My suit is also (primarily) black with purple grips. It was recommended to me that I get grey stripes where the grips attach to the suit. The theory was that it will help the grips stand out more. I don't know if that is true or not, but it actually looks pretty cool. Which is all that really matters, right? :P

Don't try to get a suit that will work for everything. If you're going to get a RW suit, get one that has the same basic flying characteristics as the suits that the other people you'll jumping with will be wearing: one with booties. They really do make a difference, and you'll find yourself at a relative handicap if you don't have them. If you want to move into freefly, you can always get a pair of cargo shorts at Sears.

RW forum search has lots of info on RW suit features

Anyone trying to sell you a suit with no booties is just trying to sell you two suits. the first one, and then the one you'll REALLY want with the booties in a couple more months.

booties, inside leg grippers, full size on those booties too (no shoe covers)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Only input I have for you is when I bought my first jumpsuit, it was a Bev RW suit. I got booties, and all though they are awesome, having booties is a pain when you decide you want to freefly. An RW suit with grips and no booties would be fine for sit and belly, and at your jump numbers, it would almost be better to learn to turn and control without booties first.

Basically what I am saying is unless you are 100% sure you are sticking with RW for the next 300 jumps, maybe consider not getting booties. Just my opinion and something I wish I would have done when I got my first suit. I did all of my beginning FF jumps in shorts and a shirt, but recently bought a liquid sky suit and can tell you my learning curve has to have doubled. Just a consideration for the future.

-Evo
Zoo Crew