DoubleDogDareMe

Eyeware: Pros and Cons

Eyeware: What kind of eyeware do you jump with and why? Can you jump with conventional sunglasses and if so, what would you look for?
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live... I wanted to live deliberately and suck all the marrow out of life... And not, when I came to die, discovered I had not lived." - Thoreau

Eyeware: What kind of eyeware do you jump with and why? Can you jump with conventional sunglasses and if so, what would you look for?

Most sunglasses can be a distraction at your current experience level, you may want to use the standard issue M1a-7 goggles until ya knock out a few more jumps. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Some people do jump with good-fitting sunglasses (Gatorz, Bolle, Oakley and the like), however:
- you may not be allowed to yet, at your experience level (instructors/jumpmasters want to be able to see your eyes), ask your DZ about that
- losing sunglasses is way more $$$ than a pair of goggles
- it's impossible to make eye contact with most sunglasses, so if I'm wearing them this bugs me for tandempassengers I film, for students I coach, people I jumpmaster, etc so I wear only clear or lightly tinted goggles
- you will find yourself on a sunset load at on point or another, wishing you had those clear goggles on...
- for me, sunglasses aren't a good option for freefall because they don't catch all the wind from my eyes: first I had contact lenses now I've had my eyes lasered and they water easily

YMMV.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

How about clear goggles or a full face?

sunglasses and dark goggles - you can't see each others' eyes and that really reduces communication

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

What everyone else has said about eye contact... plus another thing to think about with sunglasses is that even if you decide they're right for you, be sure that you have another option (clear goggles or a full-face with a clear face shield) for lower-light conditions. I wore tinted goggles on a sunset load ... once. :D Seeing other canopies (particularly darker colors) can be tough at sunset - don't make it worse with tinted lenses.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My experience level was not part of the question. I understand that most questions pertain to someone looking to do whatever they were inquiring about... I'm looking for the knowledge as to why YOU jump with what you YOU wear and WHY you do it. Some folks jump without... Im looking for your personal experience, not coaching.

For me, I don't understand why people don't jump with some sort of seal around there eyes to keep wind from coming in contact with the eye but there's a lot of people that do. So, what's your experience with jumping different types of eye ware and in what conditions did you jump it?
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live... I wanted to live deliberately and suck all the marrow out of life... And not, when I came to die, discovered I had not lived." - Thoreau

What everyone else has said about eye contact... plus another thing to think about with sunglasses is that even if you decide they're right for you, be sure that you have another option (clear goggles or a full-face with a clear face shield) for lower-light conditions. I wore tinted goggles on a sunset load ... once. :D Seeing other canopies (particularly darker colors) can be tough at sunset - don't make it worse with tinted lenses.

Thanks

I don't understand why people don't jump with some sort of seal around there eyes to keep wind from coming in contact with the eye but there's a lot of people that do.

Open sunglasses are not much of an issue if you're belly-flying, where your face is more or less perpendicular to the relative wind. It's more of an issue if you're freeflying, i.e., with face +/- parallel to the relative wind, where the wind can get under your glasses and into your eyes.

I have a full face that I typically wear a pair of sunglasses with (unless I'm getting coaching, etc., then sunglasses come off for that whole eye contact thing), as I have sensitive eyes. And I have a pair of WileyX goggles that have a clear and tinted lenses... Not really sure where my clear lenses are at this point, but they are easily replaced so it's not a big deal. Plus since I bought my Z1, they are just back up goggles anyways. Also I started wearing my WileyXs right off AFF (like I said earlier, sensitive eyes, I try to avoid sunlight without sunglasses) and none of my instructors had a problem with it. Good luck with your decisions :)

I try to avoid sunlight without sunglasses) and none of my instructors had a problem with it.

Thats why you're so pale... I thought its cause you didnt have the altitude to get a tan.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I wear spectacles with corrective lenses every waking minute (except in the shower).

My skydiving eyewear is driven by what kind of jump I am doing.

If I am doing a hop & pop, I wear my corrective sunglasses without goggles along with my open-face helmet.

If am doing belly flying RW I wear my regular clear corrective spectacles along with my full face helmet.

As I age I am becoming WAY more glare sensitive and wear sunglasses when outdoors in the sun when on the ground. However, I find that I don't have trouble with glare in freefall or under canopy (unless looking toward the sun). I suspect that the lack of a reflective surface close under me helps reduce glare when jumping.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Its extremely painful for me to be outside without sunglasses. I can't imagine jumping in clear goggles. Its funny though - my students always tell me how I made them laugh and such in freefall because I'm so expressive with my facial expressions. So it is possible to communicate even with sunglasses on :-) I always wear an open faced helmet and not a full-faced one so that definitely helps communication as well.

I too wear sunglasses almost all the time I'm outside unless it's overcast, but, like Glideangle, I'm not bothered in freefall. Sometimes under canopy I wish I had them, but not often enough to actually do something about it.

Walking back -- boy I sure wish I had them sometimes. I leave my helmet on with my visor blocking some of the glare just because of that.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

... I'm looking for the knowledge as to why YOU jump with what you YOU wear and WHY you do it. Some folks jump without... Im looking for your personal experience, not coaching.

'

as you wish -

full face for RW - clear visor (communications, keeping a seal around my dry eyes, helmet for comfort and because we go pretty fast and a knee in the face sucks)

goggles with a mindwarp for teaching and Freefly - clear lenses (communications, keeping a seal for dry eyes, more face exposed for even more communications)

goggles for CrW - clear (clear because it's usually close to sunset, goggles because my eyes dry out easy on the longer canopy ride)

for RW and FF, I do like to raise the faceshield or pull down the goggles for the canopy ride (better visibility, more comfortable on hot days)

plus, why would I want to lose my sunglasses?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I always wore goggles in the past until one particular jump run a girl on the load realized that she had forgot here's. Being the gentleman that I am, I offered her my goggles and ended up wearing my sunglasses on that jump (with a retainer cord quickly made out of the pilots string that was holding her pants up:o). I was very surprised at how much I like the sunglasses and have been wearing them for the majority of my last 600 jumps or so.

I've been through quite a few different types but by far my two favorites have been arnette titans (which they unfortunately don't make anymore, but I literally went through about six pairs over 5 years) and gator raptors which I finally tried out this year and think are amazing.

I also wear contact lenses and have only ever lost a contact on one jump where I was trying out a pair of Oakley oil rigs which felt great on the ground but sucked in freefall.

As someone mentioned above, if you wear dark sunglasses, you WILL eventually end up on a sunset load and wish you had on something clear;)

I wear prescription glasses, and Flex-Z "over-the-glasses" goggles. No tint.

Works for me. Might not be as "cool" looking but I don't really give a shit about that. With their faces flapping (and other parts on occasion) nobody is particularly attractive in freefall ;)
__

My mighty steed

As someone mentioned above, if you wear dark sunglasses, you WILL eventually end up on a sunset load and wish you had on something clear;)

I just bought some Liquid Hellfire's, they are a transitions lense, Wearing them unactivated is like wearing regular clear shooting glasses, and from what I hear, snowboarders had to take them off because they got too dark in the snow. I think they should work just fine...B|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I just bought some Liquid Hellfire's, they are a transitions lense, Wearing them unactivated is like wearing regular clear shooting glasses, and from what I hear, snowboarders had to take them off because they got too dark in the snow. I think they should work just fine...B|

Yeah, yeah...you just bought them because LouDiamond is on their website... :P

Look to be a lot like the Wiley-X stuff...didn't see the "Hellfire" model on the site, though.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yeah, yeah...you just bought them because LouDiamond is on their website... :P

Look to be a lot like the Wiley-X stuff...didn't see the "Hellfire" model on the site, though.

Its not listed on their website, but I assure you, they exist... Military gets a pretty damn good discount too.

they go from like 12%-84% tint... but they dont work in extreme heat, so i cant tell how dark they get here. B|

They are MUCH better than the Gatorz I have construction wise... cant wait to get to jump 'em

Its not listed on their website, but I assure you, they exist... Military gets a pretty damn good discount too.

Cool - didn't mean for it to sound like they didn't exist.

they go from like 12%-84% tint... but they dont work in extreme heat, so i cant tell how dark they get here. B|

Well, that sucks!!

I'm considering a set of Tifosi Brown polarized for daily wear - gotta love 9% transmission! I need to find a store that carries them though, to see how well the frames fit.

They are MUCH better than the Gatorz I have construction wise... cant wait to get to jump 'em

Currently wearing a pair of Oakleys from the PX, so I hear ya. Nothing against the Oakleys, they just fit a little weird on me.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Cool - didn't mean for it to sound like they didn't exist.

Well, that sucks!!

I'm considering a set of Tifosi Brown polarized for daily wear - gotta love 9% transmission! I need to find a store that carries them though, to see how well the frames fit.

Currently wearing a pair of Oakleys from the PX, so I hear ya. Nothing against the Oakleys, they just fit a little weird on me.

Id be pretty hard pressed to jump Oakleys... I love them on the ground, and even have a dedicated set of polarized wire-frames just for driving (even match the color of my truck)

But the ones we get issued break WAY too easily... by design!

One thing to keep in mind Polarized lens make it extremely hard/impossible to read digital altimeters
Kirk
He's dead Jim

One thing to keep in mind Polarized lens make it extremely hard/impossible to read digital altimeters

Yes, that's why I said I was getting them for daily wear and not specifically for skydiving - but thanks for the reminder!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706