skybytch

bellsouth dsl and wireless internet - help!

Before I box this new Linksys wireless router up and take it back to Wally World...

Has anyone out there successfully configured a Linksys router to work with BellSouth DSL? If so, how the hell did you make it work?

I've already spent an hour on the phone with my personal networking goddess (thanks eeneR! :)
I really don't want to have to buy BellSouth equipment if I don't have to.

Anybody? Bueller??

I'll bet the problem is your computer talking to the router, not the router getting out to the internet. The set upf for the router to reach the internet is pretty tricky, but you have to make sure your computer's TCP settings are set to obtain an address automatically and that your router is set to be a DHCP server.

The set upf for the router to reach the internet is pretty tricky, but you have to make sure your computer's TCP settings are set to obtain an address automatically and that your router is set to be a DHCP server.

Uh huh. All settings were set to what they were supposed to be set to. Still no worky.

If you go to a command prompt (Go to Start, Run, and type "cmd" without the quotes, then ok.), then type "ipconfig /all" again without the quotes, what does it say your ip address is?

It should be 192.168.1.2 (last digit may be a different number. If that's correct than type "ping 192.168.1.1

If you get replies back, then you are communicating with the router.

Here are the linksys instructions in case you were looking at something else

Bell South

If you have Bell South's "WinPoet" or "Enternet300" software (PPPoE) installed on your computer/s you need to uninstall it. Click on your "Start" button, go up to "Settings" and then over to "Control Panels". Go to "Add/Remove Programs" and double click, find "WinPoet" or "Enternet300" and remove it.

Next, go to http://192.168.1.1 in your web browser. Leave username blank, enter "admin" for the password. Once in the set-up page, go down to "PPPoE" at the bottom of the page. Click "Enable" and enter your Bell South Username and Password into the appropriate slots. Click on the "Apply" button and you are ready to go!

Heya Phil...I took her through all of this, to make sure it has an IP assigned from the router and not the ISP...it was correct....everything is set blind for DHCP on the PC, it should be getting all settings from the router to connect to it, however it will not get past the router. We can get into all the config tools etc...
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Did you check to see what IP address the router is getting?

One other thing I've found with DSL is if you don't bring it up in this order, you may have trouble connecting...

-Turn off everything or unplug if no power switch.

-Turn on DSL modem then wait 5 minutes.

-Turn on router, wait a couple minutes

-then bring up computer.

Also, is everything plugged in correctly? From wall to modem to router to computer.

Did it ever work before you got the router or are you setting it up for the first time?

If you are just now setting it up for the first time, you usually have to connect without the router using their software to configure your account, then you can uninstall it and put the router in place.

Done all the rebooting stuff in the correct orders three times.

I've had the DSL up and running since January. Bought the router today. DSL works fine if it's wired from the modem to the 'puter, just won't work if it's wired from the modem to the router to the 'puter.

Phil, DSL is live...and yes everything was powered on and off in order, however we did not give it 5 min from the original DSL boot...all lights went solid and stopped flickering, which normally means network connection is established.

She has been on the DSL for a while, router is the new piece added into the mess....she is online now :P

PPoE has been enabled, per Bell's instructions....user id etc added, DHCP configured all the way around....
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Did you uninstall their software? Are you sure the username and password that you entered in the router are correct?

One other thing to try is see if there is an option to "spoof a pcs mac address" and if so, set it to spoof the mac address of your pc. Some high speed providers block mac addresses belonging to routers to prevent you from connecting multiple computers.

Did you uninstall their software? Are you sure the username and password that you entered in the router are correct?

One other thing to try is see if there is an option to "spoof a pcs mac address" and if so, set it to spoof the mac address of your pc. Some high speed providers block mac addresses belonging to routers to prevent you from connecting multiple computers.

This (MAC address) is possible, though I suspect they don't do it. It would cause too many tech calls. I don't think you need to uninstall the software either - just need to change your computer's network adapter TCPIP settings to obtain an address automatically.

Other darts you can throw is updating the linksys router firmware. Older units would actually show the connection process and you could see if it successfully connected to the PPPoE server (the least reliable part of PacBell DSL).

Beyond that, I'm afraid it's virtually impossible to troubleshoot via DZ.com. I've tried over the phone and that's hard enough. You shouldn't need to use their hardware, though.

linksys wireless router has an option to clone a mac address..

you need to clone the mac adress of your modem to your wireless router.

That was the problem I had and it took linksys a little while to figure it out.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

linksys wireless router has an option to clone a mac address..

you need to clone the mac adress of your modem to your wireless router.

That was the problem I had and it took linksys a little while to figure it out.

ya well linksys. sublets there tech support over seas now and it sucks.... they have no clue..

I've always had problems with my Linksys and Bellsouth DSL.......I have an HP laptop....but Renee didn't have any problem with using my router with her laptop/wireless card.. If you have an HP or Compaq(same company basically), that's probably the problem.

Mike

if ya had a d-link router i could help ya i'd just try and have ya set it up the same as i got mine set.... took me a few minutes to get it working at first but it's been going strong ever since....... before i had it set up i was using a naboirs internet that hey didn't have blocked.....heck pug in the lappie and see if ya get a signal from a eperson down the street.... then retuern the router and use thiers... problem solved...lol....

Darlin', you're scaring me. I'm sitting here looking at the Netgear router that is top priority on my list of things to do today. I was hoping it'd be a "plug and play" kind of thing but all this posting with funny letters I don't understand has me much less excited about the job...

Funny: you said you're having trouble with Linksys. I just installed a linksys Ethernet card on my computer to get cable run to it and had a BITCH of a time with it. I'm hoping Netgear is a bit more simpatico...

Elvisio 'hope my router isn't a pain in the rooter' Rodriguez