wildrob

demo canopy?

Looking for a hybred type canopy, for doing demos into tight downtowns, parking lots, pavement landings, tight demos, want at least zp on the top skin. Have some fund raisers set up for a non-profit. I could use a base specific canopy packed in a skydive rig, zp 30% topskin, but am thinking more like a student type of hybred, and large. Any ideas???

Based on what you are describing you may want to look at the Flight Concepts Demonstrator, Star Trak, or Sharpchuter Models (based on wing loading I think Shaprchuter is the right one).

These canopies are designed for Steep tight sinking in approaches in tights spots. Most all the Military Teams still use these and have for many many years with great success.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I have 500 sharpchuter jumps, I know these canopys exist, but I feel a zp top skin is the way to go. I would be going with a startrac 1 if I had to choose from these FC demo canopies. I have some old injuries and really want the added lift the zp topskin will give. A 230 solo would probably get better penetration on windy jumps than a startrac 1....thanks also most base canopies that have a 30% zp topskin loaded at .7--.8 might do the trick--check out asylum designs Seven.

Have you ever jumped a Silhouette or a Navigator? Those would both be worth a good hard look.

Do they sink in no-wind conditions like a classic accuracy canopy?

Every navigator I ever jumped sunk like manhole cover no matter what the winds or toggles were doin'! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I don't know why you think the hybred makes a better accuracy canopy. I jumped a 230 Silhouette up until September '09 and went to the Spectre after a few demo jumps.

It's much easier to get on target and doesn't have the final approach inconsistencies of the Silo. But for really tight areas I would choose "only" canopies designed specifically for accuracy, they're much safer for that kind of stuff.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I don't know why you think the hybred makes a better accuracy canopy. I jumped a 230 Silhouette up until September '09 and went to the Spectre after a few demo jumps.

It's much easier to get on target and doesn't have the final approach inconsistencies of the Silo. But for really tight areas I would choose "only" canopies designed specifically for accuracy, they're much safer for that kind of stuff.

It's a compromise, the bit of extra speed you get may get through a poor spot or a few extra mph of winds during a demo...yet still have a decent sink capability for dropping straight in where it's tight.

I have one for jumping flags, but use an all Zpo canopy for smoke or pyro jumps since I tend to be down first and can S it into a tight area without worrying about traffic congestion or maintaining a consistent flag presentation to the crowd.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>If you conact Red at Flight Concepts he will build you a Sharpchuter or
>Star Trac with a ZP top skin.

Does it fly any differently? I remember Precision offering a Raven with a ZP topskin that flew exactly the same as their regular Ravens.

I didn't notice any thing different, but only made one jump on a ST 1 ZP top skin (I was jumping an all F-111 ST-1 for work at the time).

It appeared to handle the same in deep brakes and full flight, outside line turns and flare.

It did pack a smidgen different, but not any bulkier.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

thanks, a hybred might pack up faster, not that I pack that much. I did hear from a few people the navigators were nice. Something to think about thiough a zp topskin sharpchuter? Not sure if I would go bigger than that, With the zp on top I wonder what the openings would be like? My first canopy was a f111 sharpchuter, liked it so much when replacement time came I bought a new one. Because I was .9 with it I let it fly a bit before a no wind flare.