skydiverkeith

Canopy designs...

I've seen countless pics of canopies with cool designs and graphics on the bottom skin. However, I can't find options for stuff like this on PDs order forms. Does anyone know...

1) How to go about getting graphics on a canopy

2) What are the graphics made of?(i.e. print, extra fabric, etc)

3)What is the average cost for something like this?

Thanks Guys
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

from what I know...

(Which isn't much and should always be taken with a grain of salt until someone with more of a background in the matter chooses to respond to you inquiry.)

1) ask the manufacture for it.

2)extra fabric (I think...)

3)effectively doubles the price

John Deere where are you??? :P

Edit to add:

[url "http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do%3Dmessage%3Buser%3D69436=Send+Private+Message"]Click Here[/URL]
I think he is jumping PD with custom logo.

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

I don't think there is an "average cost." It depends on how the graphic is put on the canopy.
there are heat transfers, there are sewn transfers, there are blends.
One of my two logo canopies is F111 sewn to the bottom of the canopy. Very expensive, doubled the cost of the canopy. It's also a lot more volume to pack up and it flares/flies differently than non-logo'd versions of same canopy. The middle section of the canopy is 5 layers thick due to black backing.
The other canopy is a heat Xfer and is only one color. Not as expensive, much faster to get, and no significant difference in pack volume nor weight.

[edited to add pic]
In this photo, you can see the four colors on the bottom skin; black is underlaid to keep it black. White on topskin is to let light through to bottom skin so colors/design is visible.
Size is a 190, packs as previously said (a 230) and it's heavy. Made for demos, it's not something I'd want to pack all day every day.

from what I know...

(Which isn't much and should always be taken with a grain of salt until someone with more of a background in the matter chooses to respond to you inquiry.)

1) ask the manufacture for it.

2)extra fabric (I think...)

3)effectively doubles the price

John Deere where are you??? :P

Edit to add:

[url "http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do%3Dmessage%3Buser%3D69436=Send+Private+Message"]Click Here[/URL]
I think he is jumping PD with custom logo.

Good call. I should see Randy at the boogie this weekend. Have we met?
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

Unless someone else is paying for the canopy and/or paying you to jump it I'd suggest forgetting it. One of my customers has a company logo on the bottom of Spectre 190. Packs about like a 230. And weighs a ton. And cost a bunch.

Back in the 80's our demo team had a Burger King logo and a Squirt logo on F-111 canopies. These were painted on and not particularly durable but did okay for the purpose. But these were dedicated demo canopies.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

PD will do it for an extra charge. Pricing tends to follow number of cells covered. Slows down production time too.

My PD logo is sewn on fabric and is on just one cell.

Thanks Guys

It can be hundreds+

PD will do it for an extra charge. Pricing tends to follow number of cells covered. Slows down production time too.

My PD logo is sewn on fabric and is on just one cell.

Thanks Guys

It can be hundreds+

that pretty much covers it! But come see me and look at PD's work and i will let you know what it cost me....they did a great job! (PD)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

It didnt double the price for me. The first one was i think $950 more and the second one only cost an extra $800 (due to them having my old file stored and just charging for extra work). But all this nothing to someone that has not seen my canopy. But it is a large logo (covers center 5 cells) on a Sabre 2 150.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I jumped with a bloke years ago who was flying an all white sabre.

He got the shits with people always thinking he'd had a chop so he went out and got some sort of red silk dye/paint and put a big red anarchy A on the bottom skin.

I think I remember him saying he'd done a bit of research to make sure the dye wouldn't affect the strength of the fabric, but don't know much more about it than that.