jay7227021

Infinity or Javelin or Mirage

Those are my three choices of containers. I only have 26 jumps but I want to get my own rig. Anyone know any real good reason (legit) to get one over the other. I read that infinity has a great container and it is on the lower price range than the others. The javelin is up there in price but with a main flap that comes undone during FF or so i've read. The mirage has dont have those tuck flaps but i read that the harness moves around while FF. Anyone with good info and suggestions? Thanks. people!

Infinity!!!

Yes the Infinity is slightly cheaper, very secure main and reseve flaps, double riser tuck covers, NO pop top, and I love it.

Seriously, all three are very good containers. It comes down to personal perference. I would suggest trying to find those that jump the three and inspect and try them on for comfort and fit. Go with what you like. Also location could play a part. Example since Infinity is manufactured in Oregon I would recommend one if in the area simply because you could get measured directly by them and repairs/modifications would be easy.

I started with an infinity and love it. I also bought a used 98' Javelin a while back and also love it.

My infinity does not fit me as well as the Javelin (Both were not made custom to my fit), so besides that they are both comfortable realiable rigs.

The Javelin seems to be my favorite though. It seems to be constructed better, has articulated MLW and the reserve flap allows for a better fit of my slider stow system.

I recommend if your buying new go with the cheaper faster Infinity and if your buying used find a good deal on either.
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

Hi Jay,

You cant really go wrong with any of those choices. If you have any questions specific to the Infinity, feel free to shoot me an email or give me a call at the shop, thats what I'm here for!

Buying new gear can be confusing your first time around, so if there is a feature or option that you need clarification on, dont be shy. :)

-Tony
(253) 445-8790
Velocity Sports Equipment

Id go Mirage shortest wait time killer customer service. jav is a min 36 week wait (no shit) the others are around 16 weeks give or take. All are good solid rigs just depends on the small things you want.
IMO dont flame! its my opinion only
Mirage favorite
Jav just as nice will never order to long of a wait
Infinity growing on me
Vector felt like a brick
Wings best bang for buck

Blues

Just curious, why have you ruled out the Vector 3 M-Series/Micron?

that's why :P

:D:D:D

k, that was funny as hell. B|

Unsafe gear is made by Sun Path, such as their Javelin "death trap" Odyssey. Micron, Wings, Icon, Velocity and Mirage parachute gear is also considered to be unsafe and much more likely to kill the jumper without even swooping.

to the OP, go with the infinity, you can't go wrong. great product, great service.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

that's why :P

:D:D:D

k, that was funny as hell. B|

Unsafe gear is made by Sun Path, such as their Javelin "death trap" Odyssey. Micron, Wings, Icon, Velocity and Mirage parachute gear is also considered to be unsafe and much more likely to kill the jumper without even swooping.

to the OP, go with the infinity, you can't go wrong. great product, great service.

yea, go with the death trap, u know, wiki is NEVER wrong.. so is this forum! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I hav ent ruled the vector out, in fact my dzo suggested a jav or vector for the 2nd choice. i havent looked much at it though. they look really expensive and it appears as though you get less options without paying for them. like i said though, i havent looked at them much so i could be wrong.

http://www.chutingstar.com/archives/00000149.html

&

http://www.chutingstargear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=801

Apparently these are pretty good containers, and most of the stuff people get extra are base on that container.

I ordered a Vector3-Micron, with most of these options and it came out to well more than that.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Before ordering a container I talked with several riggers about the trade-offs. As many here have already said, the riggers also said the modern gear is all pretty good. However, every one of the riggers said their preference, disregarding cost or wait time, was a Vector. That is what I ordered.

That said, I am sure you will be pleased with whichever one you select.
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

Those rigs are OK, but what you want is a Vector3. An' that's all she wrote. B|

there, fixed it for you! :P

+1

V3!!!!!!

Infinity- is the most uncomfortable container that I have ever jumped with, felt like I had a wood plank on my back.

Mirage G4- is the softest most comfortable container that I have jumped with.

Vector3- is comfortable and has some great features that the other containers don't: magnetic riser covers +1, Skyhook +2, I also like the internal kill-line in the bridal for the collapsible PC.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Those rigs are OK, but what you want is a Vector3. An' that's all she wrote. B|

there, fixed it for you! :P

+1

V3!!!!!!

Infinity- is the most uncomfortable container that I have ever jumped with, felt like I had a wood plank on my back.

Mirage G4- is the softest most comfortable container that I have jumped with.

Vector3- is comfortable and has some great features that the other containers don't: magnetic riser covers +1, Skyhook +2, I also like the internal kill-line in the bridal for the collapsible PC.

have you seen anything else on a more or less modern container!? :S
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I also like the internal kill-line in the bridal for the collapsible PC.

THAT'S innovation. Maybe I'll have to get myself a Vector, now. :S

By the way, it's "bridle" :D
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I'll try to make this quick since it's been posted 100 times eslewhere - a used rig is a good for your first rig or two unless money is no object, and here's why -

Main canopy -

If you're buying the right sized main, you'll be looking to downsize within 100 jumps or so. If you buy new, you'll lose your ass on resale ($500?) trying to sell a big canopy with 100 jump on it. Also, big brand-new canopies are very hard to pack, and are a shitty way to do your first 100 pack jobs. Look for a canopy with at least 200/300 jumps on it, and up to 700/800 can still be a good canopy.

Reserve canopy -

No reason to buy new or used except what's available. Reserves are regualy inspected and well cared for, so you can save money buiying used if you can find the right size available.

Container -

Same story as the main canopy. When you do go to downsize your main, you might need to downsize your container as well. IF you buy one with an 'easy' fit for your first canopy (makes it easier to pack) it will be on the 'larger' size, and you'll want to downsize the container anyway. If you bought new, you'll lose even more than the canopy on resale ($800? $1000?). By the time your container is custom made for you, with your choice of options and colors, it becomes harder to find a buyer who wants exactly what you have, so you have to drop the price to sell. There's also the idea that you'll biff it in on landing a dozen times in your first 100 jumps, and that sucks when it's a brand new $2000 container.

AADs-

Most AADs have a set value they loose every year, so the resale market is pretty well set in stone. If you can find used, buy used, if you can't find used then buy new.

The overall idea is that for 1/2 the price of a new rig, you can put together a used rig that will suit your needs just fine, and you can spend the $3000 you save on jumps or hookers. Down the road when you know more about gear and are ready to upgrade to new stuff, you can ususally sell the used gear for 80% to 90% of what you paid for it.

If you're between 5' 4" and 6' 1", and anything close an 'appropriate' weight for your height, you should have no problem finding used gear that fits. Involve a local rigger to assist you with your purchases. Have them inspect everything you're interested in either before you make payment, or make sure you can return anything that doesn't fit or pass inspection.

Sunpath is showing the delivery times at 16 weeks for current delivery.

All three of those rigs are solid choices and you will not go wrong with any of them. Its minor details are the only differences on these models so I would not worry about any of them. On the rigger side there are some difference and some are slightly easier to pack but overall they are all pretty easy rigs to work on.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com