VTmotoMike08

Source for helmet foam padding?

I was wondering if any one has a source (hopefully an online store) that sells the foam lining/ padding that most popular skydiving helmets use? It doesn't have to be designed for helmets, just has to work for them.

I'm gonna call up bone head and skysystems and ask for some of theirs, but I figured that would be the most expensive route. And yes, I did a forum search. If this doesn't work, I'm off to the local bike store in search of a cheap helmet to cannibalize.

My specific situation is that I've got an XL Skysystems HR2 helmet that almost fits, if the foam padding was about half as thick it would be perfect, so I'm looking for a fairly thin foam.

Thanks

I built a helmet and used foam that I got from an auto upholstery store for a liner. For the actual cloth surface of liner, you can get foam already adhered to cloth or use contact cement to adhere additional foam to thin foam-backed auto headliner material. The process is difficult to do by yourself. However, as far as Skysystems helmets are concerned, I recently sent my Oxygn back to them and they relined it. They did a fantastic job for a very reasonable price and the helmet feels like it’s brand new. You might want to contact them.

If your helmet already has foam you can use it for a pattern. An electric carving knife will trim it nicely. if you want only 1/2 " or so go around your neighbor hood for someone jusy getting new carpeting. Find the padding and cut out a yard size hunk without cat pee and stuff. Then cut out a foot square piece. jam it in the helmet cut away all over laps until its smooth inside .Use that for a pattern and cut out a nice one . You can use spray adhesive on the outside ,stick it back in. I would do this on camera helmets for reurnability and snugness. you coul also use the spray on glue for an inside cloth liner